Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Guess people don't watch nature shows.

"Owls, too, are also generally associated with death and the underworld because of their nocturnal habits. The most widespread species, the Barn Owl, with its ghostly appearance and blood-curdling shriek, is considered a bad omen in cultures throughout the world. Several African cultures depict owls as spirits of the dead and as omens that foretell the death of anyone who sees them."

http://wild.enature.com/blog/why-are...urs-of-hallowe

Oh, and the whole natural predator to bats theme, that people seem to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    The most widespread species, the Barn Owl, with its ghostly appearance and blood-curdling shriek, is considered a bad omen in cultures throughout the world.Oh, and the whole natural predator to bats theme, that people seem to ignore.
    The barn owl is Harry Potter freakin' mail owl.

NOT SCARY.
    Now, if one night a owl will jump me and start clawing my face off, I'll grant you, that is going to be kind of scary (and painful). But right now, the Court of Owls is the worst part of the Court of Owls. I do believe Snyder is a great writer, the story is compelling and enough interesting stuff happens. That doesn't stop me from finding these Owls corny, silly and completely unthreatening. IMO. And that doesn't stop me from complaining that these Olws will invade one of the best book of this ralaunch, even thought like I said, I'm also glad because this might mean a boost in sales.
    Last edited by WhitOro; 04-30-2012 at 09:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I am speaking for my self, although I am very curious to know what makes you think the Owls are scary. What exactly have they done?
    What have they done? They have killed a politician , they have kidnapped Bruce and drove him almost to insanity , dick has been framed for murder, as the end issue 7 the owls start rampaging on the city. The back up of batman 8 has the owls killing important people in Gotham.

So you ask what's scary about them, and I give you reasons why, yet they're
    not good enough? Big surprise. News Flash, bats aren't that scary either, and until one turns into a vampire in front of me and trys to turn me, I don't think they're scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    What have they done? They have killed a politician , they have kidnapped Bruce and drove him almost to insanity , dick has been framed for murder, as the end issue 7 the owls start rampaging on the city. The back up of batman 8 has the owls killing important people in Gotham.

Nope. You make too much sense and have valid points. That's not good enough. Haha

What makes, penguins, riddlers, clowns, scarecrows, poison ivy, cats scary?

That is some lovely work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    So you mean they've done a bunch of stuff Ra's al Ghul has already done a number of times over? I'm going to agree with others on this one, the concept has proven to be far more interesting than the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    What makes, penguins, riddlers, clowns, scarecrows, poison ivy, cats scary?
    What kind of question is this? Are telling me that Penguin, Poison Ivy and the Riddler are suppoused to be scary? No they're not. They're dangerous, and fear comes from the danger they create.
    The Court is suppoused to generate the same kind of fear. You're suppoused to say "Damn, these guys are so strong and dangerous that I'm actually scared of them".
    You believe that Snyder is good at doing that? Good, I'm happy you enjoy it.

I can't, because it doesn't matter how many people they kill, I don't find ninja-owls that act like schoolyard bullies while getting comanded by an overtheatrical hammy inner group of rich d-bags scary/dangerous etc etc etc.

As for clowns http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulrophobia
    Scarecrows are suppoused to scare crows, the fact that they scared humans came later.
    Both these two are about facing a guy you can't recognize, it's an expansion of the fear of the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Roldan View Post
    Also real Bats aren't that scary.
    OK I GET IT, I'm the only coward scared by bats. Can we move over?
    Last edited by WhitOro; 04-30-2012 at 09:58 AM.

BANNED

So you wouldn't be afraid if a secret society kidnapped and drugged you ??

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    What kind of question is this? Are telling me that Penguin, Poison Ivy and the Riddler are suppoused to be scary? No they're not. They're dangerous, and fear comes from the danger they create.
    The Court is suppoused to generate the same kind of fear. You're suppoused to say "Damn, these guys are so strong and dangerous that I'm actually scared of them".
    You believe that Snyder is good at doing that? Good, I'm happy you enjoy it.

I can't, because it doesn't matter how many people they kill, I don't find ninja-owls that act like schoolyard bullies while getting comanded by an overtheatrical hammy inner group of rich d-bags scary/dangerous etc etc etc.
    Penguin and Riddler, sure, I'll give you that they're mostly scary because of the fact they're dangerous. Poison Ivy, I think you can make an argument for. I mean, one of her recent MOs is the fact that she uses her pheromones to seduce people to do her bidding--the idea of having all control and ability to consent being taken from you is a rather frightening concept. Look at stuff like Hush, where Catwoman was clearly shaken up and hurt from being forced to steal again (and possibly more) when under Ivy's spell, or during Dini's Detective run, where he had her basically seduce random people in bars and then put them in plants in acid just to hear them scream and die. She's the ultimate date rape nightmare--and let's not even get into the giant plant monsters she can create.

As for that last point--can you honestly say that Penguin or Riddler have NEVER been overtheatrical and hammy? I honestly think that's a requirement for most supehero comic villains.

My thought process regarding this thread:
    *Sees Batwing Preview thread has 3 pages already!*.
    Awesome, the book must be getting more readers!
    *Enters thread and sees everyone arguing about whether or not the Owls are scary*
    CBR I am disappoint....

On topic, sweet preview. To's art is great and I like Winick's writing so far. Looking forward to this issue.

This is scary.

Oh, and Marcus To is an amazing artist, I will miss the art of Ben Oliver but Marcus draws very beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by MB99 View Post
    My thought process regarding this thread:
    *Sees Batwing Preview thread has 3 pages already!*.
    Awesome, the book must be getting more readers!
    *Enters thread and sees everyone arguing about whether or not the Owls are scary*
    CBR I am disappoint....
    hahahaha. yeah... you and me both

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    This is his full time gig now... if the book lasts (Hopefully! Love this book.)

Also got to say I like the inks here. I've found To to be one of those pencillers whose work can vary pretty noticeably from inker to inker, not that anything has been bad recently, it's just that if you look at Ray McCarthy's inks on Red Robin, and John Dell's on Huntress, there's just a noticeable difference. Still can tell it's To, but it does have a different flavor.
    Exactly.
    And I have to admit that I was sceptical about To being on art duty for Batwing, based solely of of his RR run...but I am quite pleasantly surprised with this prev. Inks certainly do make a (very important) difference.
    (Still, I'm hoping beyond all hope that his alternating artist would be Ken Lashley).
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    STORM #1...(W) Greg Pak (A/CA) Victor Ibanez. July 2014.