View Poll Results: When will you drop the "n" from DCnU?

Voters
48. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • DCnU, what are you talking about? I already call it the DCU!

13 27.08%
  • September, after a year.

10 20.83%
  • After 5 years

8 16.67%
  • Never, but after the next reboot Iíll start to call it DCoU!

17 35.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCnU

Default DCnU

How long will we continue to call post-reboot DCU DCnU?

I've always sort of thought the DCnU was a silly way of referring to DC's multiverse. But then again, I think referring to the main Marvel universe as the '616' is silly, too.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Salacious Propriety Tandaemonium's Avatar

Of course it is silly...that's intentional with every use of 'nu' in anything - it is inherently mocking in its origin and usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    Of course it is silly...that's intentional with every use of 'nu' in anything - it is inherently mocking in its origin and usage.
    What's "mocking" about it?

"Nu" has been an attachment...a prefix of sorts added to subjects of interest since the mid 90s that already exist in some form but have found a sort-of renaissance or resurgence in relevancy, although more discerning eyes can tell that it is little more than a pale imitation of its former existence. So when nu was added to subjects/words...it has always been initially to point out both the distinction that it is something new (although, not really) and something inferior.

As for DCnU...personally I feel that while the rules of "nu" still apply to it, it also seems to have become the accepted name for what it is regardless of any initial negative stigma.

"Nu" has been an attachment...a prefix of sorts added to subjects of interest since the mid 90s that already exist in some form but have found a sort-of renaissance or resurgence in relevancy, although more discerning eyes can tell that it is little more than a pale imitation of its former existence. So when nu was added to subjects/words...it has always been initially to point out both the distinction that it is something new (although, not really) and something inferior.

As for DCnU...personally I feel that while the rules of "nu" still apply to it, it also seems to have become the accepted name for what it is regardless of any initial negative stigma.
    That's quite an opinion. You have any sources for any of that?

Not really, other than being a teen in the early-to-mid 90s and making fun of nu metal, nu rock, etc. and the people that sadly actually thought they were good or novel...followed by years of the prefix making its way into various convos in various geographical locations. It's pretty innocuous and tongue-in-cheek in its use despite the derision in intent.

ITA: The fact that DCU had that convenient U in it just lent itself to adopting the pun, especially in the blogosphere and news outlets.

So no, pretty much just anecdotal evidence to support my claim that reaches the same conclusion that you've made...that it is silly.
    Last edited by Tandaemonium; 04-30-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Not really, other than being a teen in the early-to-mid 90s and making fun of nu metal, nu rock, etc. and the people that sadly actually thought they were good or novel...followed by years of the prefix making its way into various convos in various geographical locations. It's pretty innocuous and tongue-in-cheek in its use despite the derision in intent.
    You have yet to establish intent, is what I'm saying. All you've talked about is personal interpretation.

I suppose it is quite possible for the intent to not imply that in this instance, "nu" was not used to convey lameness nor induce eye-rolling, yes. And yes, I am only claiming a personal interpretation, though while likely, not necessarily true. We can find out though, I think...I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the "other" comic news site started using it first in an official capacity...that plus brevity and their repeated use allowed for widespread use.

I'm thinking that the "U" perhaps caused a lot of people to use the term, and probably not with any derision. However, I'm not a big fan of calling something "new" for very long, so I assume I'll be going with something like "post relaunch" after too much longer.

Never, but after the next reboot I'll start to call it DCoU!

As an answer, this was just too hilarious to refuse! Besides...

Now that I thought about it, I think I'll seriously follow this statement (well, half of it anyway). Pre-Crisis is Pre-Crisis, the DCU is the DCU, the DCnU is the DCnU - my point being that they're all different universes, so why should I replace their names with the nicknames of the older ones as the time passes by? Because the main universe has to be called DCU, or what? If yes, then I guess I could refer to the DCU as the Post-Crisis/Pre-Reboot Universe... But you know what? DCU is shorter. So is the DCnU when compared to the mentioned "post-relaunch", so I'll stick with it.

...And when the next reboot comes? Well, I think the fans will come out with a new nickname for it, another that DCnU that is. And honestly, I'll be thinking about it when it'll be announced!
    Last edited by Starry; 04-30-2012 at 08:06 AM.

BANNED

Forever........................................... .

It will always be called DCnU. Like the pre- and post-crisis thing. This stuff is like herpes, it never really goes away.
    Remember me? No? I'm the guy who gets all his facts about comics from Wikipedia!

Currently Reading: Robin (ongoing)

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

I think of it as The New 52. Not the DC Universe (N or Otherwise) it hurts less that way and there is hope of the return of the 0.