Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Genocide: why....?

I remember reading that Genocide looked the way she did because Gail asked Aaron to come up with the most hideous, 80's super villain costume that he could. And boy did he succeed!

But what I don't remember ever reading is why Gail wanted that particular look for a character designed to seemingly be Diana's Doomsday. Does anyone remember her talking about the reason she wanted that look for Genocide (apart from the name)?

Because the late 80s/early 90s comics nearly killed off the whole industry?

Ok, I have no idea.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Looks like Thorn on steroids or something. (Maybe Miracle-Gro?)

I think there are many ........????????s about that run.
    Last edited by Seant; 04-29-2012 at 05:59 PM.

BANNED

purple and green, dat combo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Because the late 80s/early 90s comics nearly killed off the whole industry?

Ok, I have no idea.
    Wasn't it rather in the mid- to late 90's where the comicbook industry collapsed?

I don't remember but the costume and the story told me there was something very much lacking in the execution of the idea. The whole 'Diana's corpse from the future" was such a "huh? wha?" moment it had little to no impact after such a build up. The concept is interesting but the reveal was lacking and it just didn't make for a great story overall. And the name. Yeesh. I loved so much of what Gail did but I think she needed the editor to step in here and help guide that story with a little more direction/to a more satisfying reveal and conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Wasn't it rather in the mid- to late 90's where the comicbook industry collapsed?
    As I understand it, you're right that the crash came mid to late 90s. But, imo, it had been building to that for awhile. Still, it was mostly just a joke, since so many things get blamed on the 90s comics.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Ching View Post
    ... The concept is interesting but the reveal was lacking and it just didn't make for a great story overall...
    I loved the intro we saw in that DC #0 preview issue. Baddies digging up dirt in various sites of genocide. Very creepy. But, yeah, the "She is YOU! From the FUTURE!" reveal was a head-scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Ching View Post
    ... I loved so much of what Gail did but I think she needed the editor to step in here and help guide that story with a little more direction/to a more satisfying reveal and conclusion.
    Well, this is DC, I wouldn't be surprised in the editors were part of the problem, "guiding" the story in a not quite right direction.
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    As I understand it, you're right that the crash came mid to late 90s. But, imo, it had been building to that for awhile. Still, it was mostly just a joke, since so many things get blamed on the 90s comics.

I loved the intro we saw in that DC #0 preview issue. Baddies digging up dirt in various sites of genocide. Very creepy. But, yeah, the "She is YOU! From the FUTURE!" reveal was a head-scratcher.

Well, this is DC, I wouldn't be surprised in the editors were part of the problem, "guiding" the story in a not quite right direction.
    The comic book collapse was not due to quality, as you seem to be implying, but for a very different and unrelated reason, somewhat connected to the stock market.

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    The comic book collapse was not due to quality, as you seem to be implying, but for a very different and unrelated reason, somewhat connected to the stock market.
    Speculation about the value of new #1 and overprinting (lots and lots of X-Force #1 out there) played a big role, as I understand it. But, that's all off topic.

Genocide had some real potential, but just didn't get there, imo. And part of that was the design. Green for Genocide?
    - Longfellow

Genocide was supposed to be made from Knockouts body, hence the green outfit and red hair. However DC nixed the idea and Gail had to come with something suddenly, hence the story never felt right.

That being said, I'm not sure why the outfit was so bad. Everything about that story felt wrong, but based on random comments from Gail, it sounds like DC had a lot to do with it.
    "Of all people, you know who I am...who the world needs me to be. I'm Wonder Woman."

I kind of wish Genocide had kept the lasso longer and used it more. That was creepy and sinister. In a good way. For a story, that is.
    - Longfellow

The other head-scratcher is, who is Knockout? And what is her connection to Wonder Woman? If you're going to create a new villain, why use the remnants of a villain with no connection to the book at all?

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    The other head-scratcher is, who is Knockout? And what is her connection to Wonder Woman? If you're going to create a new villain, why use the remnants of a villain with no connection to the book at all?
    Knockout was a villainess introduced in Superboy; a former Female Fury who escaped from Apokalips. She also appeared when Simone was writing Secret Six, where she was a member of the team and Scandal Savage's lover. She was killed off when the New Gods were killed off in some crisis or another.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Knockout was a villainess introduced in Superboy; a former Female Fury who escaped from Apokalips. She also appeared when Simone was writing Secret Six, where she was a member of the team and Scandal Savage's lover. She was killed off when the New Gods were killed off in some crisis or another.
    I know the general concensus is that the Genocide look was horrible among many... but it never actually bothered me. Personally I thought it was a good story and was glad to see a power-wise worthwhile opponent for her. I thought it was poignant (although predictable) how WW came in so overconfident and not knowing what she was getting herself into, and then suddenly realizing she bit off more than she could chew.

The only thing that bothered me was how she tried to show mercy at the very end before throwing her into the ocean. This was the right thing to do, with the wrong enemy.. particularly after being informed of what she was dealing with.