Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Relatively new to the board here. Where to start in new comics?

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to the board. I was once a member but decided to come back.

After a brief hiatus for about a year from comics because of money, etc., I'm starting to get back into reading and collecting.

I know this is the DC board, but where is a good place to start back like in DC, Marvel or Image comics?

Thanks!

BANNED

buy Supergirl and Wonder Woman...

Well there was a relaunch...

Yeah, I imagine you've heard about "the new 52," DC's line-wide relaunch of all their books. Pretty much everything is a good jumping on point. It would help if you could say what characters, artists, writers, or genres you like, but these are my personal favorites:

Action Comics
    Batman
    The Flash
    Justice League
    Demon Knights
    Animal Man
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

There was a relaunch in September with every book getting a #1 issue. Start from there. Any particular types of comics that you like?

I was mostly a DC guy before the hiatus, so I love Batman and Superman. I've honestly never even tried to read Green Lantern, Flash or Wonder Woman. Are those worth picking up since the re-launch?

With Marvel, I mostly read Spider-Man but have an interest on picking up Avengers. Any other books great as well?

Justice League for DC main stuff and GL: New Guardians for DC main cosmic stuff.

Aquaman. Pros: Competent writer, drawn by one of DC's Top 3, good balance between dialogue and art. Cons: Every issue needs to be longer or double-shipped.

Justice League. Pros: Generally good artwork. Humourous character interactions. Cons: Humourous character interactions.

Marvel - Amazing Spider-Man and Mighty Thor
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

If you didnt read Green lantern before i wouldnt recommend starting now, its awesome and im a big fan, but GL remained relatively unchanged and you wouldnt really get it unless you went and picked up the trades from 2004 onwards, but id start with Wonder woman and The flash AND definitely Aquaman, all brilliant since the relaunch started, and all great starting off points.

Quote Originally Posted by super_brandon25 View Post
    I was mostly a DC guy before the hiatus, so I love Batman and Superman. I've honestly never even tried to read Green Lantern, Flash or Wonder Woman. Are those worth picking up since the re-launch?

With Marvel, I mostly read Spider-Man but have an interest on picking up Avengers. Any other books great as well?
    AVX
    Uncanny X-Men (especially when Greg land's not drawing)
    Avengers Assemble (similar to Justice League)
    Scarlet Spider
    Daredevil
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by reginleif View Post
    buy supergirl and wonder woman...
    this guy seems legit

Batman, wonder woman and supergirl for DC.

Spider-Man and AvX at Marvel.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

DC:

Batman: Without a doubt, the best of the four Bat-books, probably the whole Bat family.
    Swamp Thing and Animal Man: Without a doubt the best written books of the relaunch, and both are moving towards a crossover with one another.
    Demon Knights: A sword-and-socerery book. Well written, very good art.

Marvel:

Journey Into Mystery: Magnificently written, great supporting cast, beautifully drawn, and above all else, FUN!

For those characters, buy:

Batman
    Action Comics
    Flash
    Wonder Woman

They are all great comics. As far as Green Lantern goes, the main Green Lantern book is pretty good but it's a direct continuation of like seven years' worth of stories. I would say start with "Green Lantern: Secret Origin," and if you like that then you should probably read the entire Geoff Johns run.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

If you love Spider-Man, buy Venom. That book is violently good. Flash Thompson is my hero.