View Poll Results: What are you thoughts on Kyle?

Voters
99. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • LOVE HIM! Best new addition to the X-books!!!

5 5.05%
  • I'm indifferent...

24 24.24%
  • I'm just pleased Northstar FINALLY has a boyfriend...

12 12.12%
  • I'm not a fan...

32 32.32%
  • HATE HIM! He needs to be killed off ASAP!!!

26 26.26%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Spare me.
    I face down racists every day, on this forum and IRL.
    You know nothing about me or any if the other people in this forum to make that assumption. Not liking a character who is black is not the same as not liking a character because they are black. You're reading prejudice and bias in people's posts, where there are none. I'm an island Buddhist in Arizona who's in an interracial relationship with an older man. I know a thing about racism too. And nothing in this thread has justified people's opinions being cast aside and marked as bigoted.

Now if we can get the conversation back on track, if you think Kyle is a good character, make a case for him! Other than the fact he's been in a few issues, why exactly should we like his character?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cbhellion View Post
    You know nothing about me or any if the other people in this forum to make that assumption. Not liking a character who is black is not the same as not liking a character because they are black. You're reading prejudice and bias in people's posts, where there are none. I'm an island Buddhist in Arizona who's in an interracial relationship with an older man. I know a thing about racism too. And nothing in this thread has justified people's opinions being cast aside and marked as bigoted.

Now if we can get the conversation back on track, if you think Kyle is a good character, make a case for him! Other than the fact he's been in a few issues, why exactly should we like his character?
    I know all about the people on this forum. I also know enough about race to know that Kyle is a fool if he thinks he can trust Northstar.

Anyways, I'm glad the racists on this forum are identifying themselves for my future reference.
    They can't help it. All you ever see with regards to gay couples is straight acting white guys.
    Last edited by Aguja; 04-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sanseru View Post
    He's so whiny. "Ohhh... Northstar, you're a muntant, so I can never be part of you world. I'm not nearly as freaky as all your mutant friends. You make me feel stupid, when you carry me around like that." You don't date a superhero if you can't stand your significant other being different.
    This reminds me of every novel writer' approach and handling of romantic relationships within their stories. Can we get a new romance paradigm?

Quote Originally Posted by Aguja View Post
    They can't help it. All you ever see with regards to gay couples is straight acting white guys.
    I'm not sure that can be given as the basis of any assumption. Given that there are only three gay couples in Marvel that I know of. Rictor/Shatterstar, Wiccan/Hulking, and Northstar/Kyle. If there were a dozen couples, and all were white, I could see it. But I don't know if there is enough gay presence in Marvel say anything definitively in regards to race.

I'm not sure that can be given as the basis of any assumption. Given that there are only three gay couples in Marvel that I know of. Rictor/Shatterstar, Wiccan/Hulking, and Northstar/Kyle. If there were a dozen couples, and all were white, I could see it. But I don't know if there is enough gay presence in Marvel say anything definitively in regards to race.
    Gender on the other hand...

I don't think hellion's posts even factored in Kyle's race or color. If you read how Kyle sounds in any iteration, he's had one insecure episode after another and it's followed up with a desperate declaration by Northstar that he loves him, blah, blah, blah. You never saw that with the hetero couples, at least not in multiple successions like Kyle. He's a moron and you being very blase about labeling people as racist because you don't agree with their opinion about a effing comic book character or decided to make an inference that was not made, makes you just as guilty about making stereotypes that are just as hurtful and demeaning as whatever discrimination you've faced on this forum and in real life. Kyle is a waste of a character, regardless of his race or color. You want positive depictions of a black human character, see Charlotte (the detective that Angel dated), see Hunter (the dance teacher), Opal Tanaka (Japanese girl that Iceman dated). All of them dated a mutant but rarely any of them were written to be as insecure as Kyle. Maybe it's not the character's fault. Maybe it's the writers. Your anger might best be directed towards them since they seem to think that even someone as obnoxious as Northstar would fall for a weakling like Kyle. I don't think anyone would.

Don't waste your time on him, cbhellion. Your posts have been insightful to the topic that started this thread. If he/she can't fathom that not every comment posted about the Kyle character is an inferred dislike for black people is on that person. It is offensive though, isn't it, that he/she would immediately go for a label that is hurtful when he/she knows nothing about you save a few posts about a poorly written character who happens to be black.

Gender on the other hand...
    I'd like to see Karma's sexuality acknowledged beyond "This is Karma. She likes girls", but I'm not a fan every single queer character being paired off. Not every character (queer or straight) wants something long term, and I can think of good reasons why a lot of the spandex squad would actively decide not to go looking for anything steady. (I would like to see some sign that Karma's not still pining over Kitty, though, because that trope is a severe yawn.) And at least we've got the unspeakably adorable rainbow girl squad dating over in Avengers Academy. I'm not sure if Phyla-Vel and Moondragon are still a thing, but that's another potential girl couple at Marvel.

BANNED

Cannonball is super racist. And Berto is trying so hard to assimilate he doesn't even acknowledge Kyle. At least Dani's like "bitch, do yourself a favor and gtfo this racist island before that bitch from Brave cunt punts your self-respect back to the mainland."

Plus, Northstar's just dating Kyle for his big black dick (which he probably doesn't even have), so they're totally doomed from the start. Kyle would be better off dating Sentient Coffee Machine, at least s/he's equal opportunity prejudiced. Or Unit. Then he could help bitch out Danger. lol

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Karma's been seen in bed with generic floozy. Don't put any restrictions on her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Cannonball is super racist.

Cannonball distilled to his purest essence in one panel. There's a reason why you've never seen the fucker since, where else can you go at that point?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    Cannonball distilled to his purest essence in one panel. There's a reason why you've never seen the fucker since, where else can you go at that point?
    To making Rogue look less racist by comparison.

Rogue needs to be put in timeout for the next 6 or 7 years.