Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Default CBR's 25 Best Spider-Man Supporting Characters #6-4

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...4/#more-108713

6: Human Torch (Johnny Storm)
    5: Gwen Stacy
    4: Felicia Hardy

Let the controversy begin!
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Slightly surprised that Johnny Storm beat Flash Thompson and Harry Osborn, and that Felicia Hardy beat Gwen Stacy.

It seems that there's a slight consensus that Johnny Storm is Peter Parker's best male friend.

Felicia Hardy's ranking undercuts one argument for bringing back Gwen Stacy- that she's the only who could compete with MJ. The poll seems to suggest that Black Cat might still have a better shot.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Who is left? MJ, the old hag and...?

MJ, Aunt May and Jonah look like they will be the top 3.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Slightly surprised that Johnny Storm beat Flash Thompson and Harry Osborn, and that Felicia Hardy beat Gwen Stacy.

It seems that there's a slight consensus that Johnny Storm is Peter Parker's best male friend.

Felicia Hardy's ranking undercuts one argument for bringing back Gwen Stacy- that she's the only who could compete with MJ. The poll seems to suggest that Black Cat might still have a better shot.
    Felicia fills a very specific role that Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita never filled. Peter in a relationship with a costumed female. All of Peter's other love interests come specifically from Peter Parker's world but Felicia comes from Spider-Man's world. I think that plays a big role in explaining Felicia's popularity.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    JJJ should be number 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Well, I figured Johnny Storm would be #6 after yesterday, but I'm also surprised Black Cat beat out Gwen, even though I figured both of them would be in the top 5. I'm just surprised that Aunt May has apparently beat all of them.

Well, Black Cat IS the bad girl. MJ used to be the bad girl when Gwen was alive but became the good girl after Gwen was killed. Spidey needs a bad girl to off set things and Black Cat fit that to a tee. Not to mention I think there are certain "qualities" Black Cat has which helped her to win out over Gwen in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    And I wouldn't be surprised if it was in that order. Although, it's possible that Jonah could be #1 with MJ being a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    JJJ should be number 1
    Even though I like MJ, I agree.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 04-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, I figured Johnny Storm would be #6 after yesterday, but I'm also surprised Black Cat beat out Gwen, even though I figured both of them would be in the top 5. I'm just surprised that Aunt May has apparently beat all of them.

Well, Black Cat IS the bad girl. MJ used to be the bad girl when Gwen was alive but became the good girl after Gwen was killed. Spidey needs a bad girl to off set things and Black Cat fit that to a tee. Not to mention I think there are certain "qualities" Black Cat has which helped her to win out over Gwen in the poll.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it was in that order. Although, it's possible that Jonah could be #1 with MJ being a close second.

Even though I like MJ, I agree.
    Why do you like MJ so much? Just curious

Aunt May has definitely had the blessings of being well-characterized over the last decade or so. (I miss Aunt May knowing Peter is Spider-Man.)

I'll just point out that comic ladies, especially over the last few years, have apparently all gotten boob jobs. And even scenes where modern artists depict Gwen show that she was rather... *ahem* blessed...

I'm not making predictions on order given how this whole thing has gone up to this point. I feel comfortable saying MJ, Aunt May and Jonah are going to be the top 3 but I won't be giving an order.

My Facebook page

A spunky, happy-go-lucky redhead who provides emotional support to Peter when he needed it the most and who also happens to be sexy to boot? What's not to like? Okay, her hippie lingo is kind of grating, I'll give you that.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Gwen should definitely be #1.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No. No way.

A spunky, happy-go-lucky redhead who provides emotional support to Peter when he needed it the most and who also happens to be sexy to boot? What's not to like? Okay, her hippie lingo is kind of grating, I'll give you that.
    I love 60s MJ dialogue, daddy-o.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    What would have really mattered to you? That you think she should have been #1 or that she should have been above Mary Jane?

My Facebook page

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

He most likely grew up with the character forming a deep personal bias to her, it's what he's most familiar with. It's understandable, the next big love interest will probably stick with new fans the same way.

I have no such attachment to her though. She's been a pretty boring non factor for awhile now, BND and subsequent stories where writers have failed to find an interesting niche for her without being Peter's ball and chain, etc. She can't stand alone and she's practically uselesss as anything other than a love interest. She's been a pretty lame friend, still rooting for them to get her death going and out of the way by 700.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    He most likely grew up with the character forming a deep personal bias to her, it's what he's most familiar with. It's understandable, the next big love interest will probably stick with new fans the same way.

I have no such attachment to her though. She's been a pretty boring non factor for awhile now, BND and subsequent stories where writers have failed to find an interesting niche for her without being Peter's ball and chain, etc. She can't stand alone and she's practically uselesss as anything other than a love interest. She's been a pretty lame friend, still rooting for them to get her death going and out of the way by 700.
    There isn't going to be "the next big love interest." Have you ever heard of any franchise, this far removed from the original creators (we're at year 50, after all), successfully creating a huge new love interest that overcomes all others?

Just because you're upset that Gerry Conway made this decision around 40 years ago to toss Gwen off the bridge and promote MJ to primary love interest of the franchise doesn't mean you should ignore something that is otherwise impossible.

My Facebook page