Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New 52 JUSTICE LEAGUE appreciation thread

upon reading quite a few negative comments from people hating on this book around here, i decided to put together a little thread for those who actually like it and aren't afraid to admit so.

for me, this is the first Justice League book i care about in a long, long time. sure, i liked JLI in the early 90's and parts of the Morrison/Waid JLA run too, but honestly, DC pre-reboot was always such a mess continuity-wise for a casual reader like me, i couldn't get into it no matter how hard i tried... with i don't know how many characters called The Flash running around and with all the weird JLA line-up's with gorillas and whatnot.

right now, Justice League features all the key characters who should always be on the team. they can add members if they like, but they should never again disband this core group of 7 in my opinion... i even like the idea that Martian Manhunter is now with Stormwatch and an adversary to the JL, i have no problem at all with Cyborg replacing him as a founding member. i will admit to the general consensus that the first 6 issues were a little slow on character and relationship building and the story itself could've been told in maybe 4 issues - but so what? i was still entertained. based on sales, quite a few others were entertained as well... and currently, with issues 7 and 8, things are really starting to get interesting with ARGUS and Trevor and Team 7 and Graves and the Trinity War etc coming up.

btw, is character building even the purpose of Justice League? has it ever been? not that i wouldn't mind more team dynamics and interaction - and i believe more of that is forthcoming - but in the end, don't most of the individual members have their own books for that? Batman, for example, has 5 solo books now. is it really necessary to explain in detail what makes him tick on the pages of JL as well?

i'm starting to think - and i could be wrong here - that most people who seem to REALLY hate the current book with a passion are those still bitter about the whole reboot thing. i can understand that to an extent. but for me personally, the reboot was a way in. right now, i have more DC on my pull list than Marvel. this has never happened before and i have quite few years under my belt as a comic reader... i was always a Marvel guy before.

anyhow, i always seem to get excited whenever a new issue of JL is coming out. i seldom feel disappointed upon reading new issues. not too many books are having this effect on me nowadays (oh how i DO wish JLI and JLD were...), so i guess Johns, Lee and co must be doing SOMETHING right... right?

who's with me? haters need not apply.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

I have always liked team books, and with the exception of the Legion, I hated when the rosters got too big. I love the fact they are trying to keep the roster to seven. Easier to keep track of who's a member. Love seeing the interplay between GL and Batman.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

Tonally this Justice League run feels a lot like the Avengers movie IMHO.

The Avengers movie:

- Managed to juggle 7 main members + Fury + Coulson + Hill successfully. They all got their moment to shine, their character moments, and none of them was 2D or a joke.
    - Managed to fit in so much action on top of all that character work.
    - Make jokes that were actually fun, and which werent on Michael Bay's level.
    - More CGI in an Avengers trailer than the entire GL movie, and yet all of it was stellar.

Now reverse all that and you get Johns' JL. 2D cardboard cutout "characters", stupid action, Michael Bay quality of humor.
    Imagine if DC tried a JL movie, with millions of dollars on the line. We'd probably end up with stupid shit like Speedforce sex.... oh wait, we almost got that!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    The Avengers movie:

- Managed to juggle 7 main members + Fury + Coulson + Hill successfully. They all got their moment to shine, their character moments, and none of them was 2D or a joke.
    - More CGI in an Avengers trailer than the entire GL movie, and yet all of it was stellar.

Now reverse all that and you get Johns' JL. 2D cardboard cutout "characters", stupid action, Michael Bay quality of humor.
    Imagine if DC tried a JL movie, with millions of dollars on the line. We'd probably end up with stupid shit like Speedforce sex.... oh wait, we almost got that!
    where do you live?

BANNED

My problem with team books has always been they mitigate the powers of the individual for the sake of the whole.

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

I absolutely love this comic! Great writing, great art, and great character interaction.

My most anticipated comic each and every month, and in my opinion, the best comic on the market. I literally just can't wait for the next issue every time I finish the last one. The Captain Marvel backup story is good, too, and just helps solidify this comic number one for me.

Keep up the fantastic work Geoff Johns and Jim Lee!
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    where do you live?
    Greece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet Man View Post
    Great writing
    Please elaborate. I'm curious as to what i'm missing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Man View Post
    I absolutely love this comic! Great writing, great art, and great character interaction.

My most anticipated comic each and every month, and in my opinion, the best comic on the market. I literally just can't wait for the next issue every time I finish the last one. The Captain Marvel backup story is good, too, and just helps solidify this comic number one for me.

Keep up the fantastic work Geoff Johns and Jim Lee!
    This comic is one of the best; I do wish it would go bi-monthly, just because I find a month too long between issues...
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

BANNED

Greece.
    Please elaborate. I'm curious as to what i'm missing here.
    Greece, that explains why you were so ready to defend my assault against Greece's revisionist history. btw, I recognize the state of northern Cyprus, go Turks! Seriously though, your country is in rough shape...

Anyway, why is it we are getting beat to the punch by every country to see this movie!

The Avengers movie:

BAHAHAAAA!

This was a very funny post. Thank you for that.

The Avengers movie:

are you really comparing 8 issues of a comic book to a movie? I thought this was an appreciation thread not "I want to make stupid points about a movie that has no relationship to JL except that it's based on a team book". Also to be honest i thought the movie was fine with a good script but don't act like it's that good. Compared to X-Men: First Class, it's pretty dumb with characters that do much except defend earth. Whedon has a good handle on the main four but i thought the other characters except Coulson felt pretty useless. You could've seriously changed Hawkeye, Selveig and Black Widow with Pym and Wasp and the movie would've felt more like the Avengers. Also Fury and Hill really felt like you cookie cutter characters. Also the plot felt pretty stupid too and the last 20 felt a bit forced (but the post-credit cameo was awesome).

On topic: I like the Johns-JL. It's fun book that feels like it needs more plot and i can't wait for the new characters. I always felt that Morrison's JLA became really good when he started to use other characters like Plastic Man and Aztek.

Also i should add that i like the back-up. I'm a huge Captain Marvel fan and i always appreciate new interpretations.

"Justice League may be the Valentine’s Day of comics right now. Eight months after its explosive premiere, the title may still be selling like hotcakes, but it has failed to establish a consistent tone or agenda for itself. Somehow, having six of the most iconic heroes of all time (plus Cyborg) in one convenient bunch has resulted in the most pedestrian storylines and the flattest of group dynamics. True, their image of friendship was intended from the start as a public face, but surely Geoff Johns doesn’t mean to subject us to their bland interaction forever."

-- Minhquan Nguyen, Weekly Comic Book Review

I realize that is an appreciation thread, but the above quote perfectly sums up my opinion of Justice League.

I really like this book. I enjoyed the alternate take on how this team formed, I liked the new origin for Cyborg that now involves Boom Tube tech, I really enjoy the Steve Trevor scenes. The back up so far is great, I like the new Shazam story so far. This is a top 5 book for me, very well written.

I also like how Batman hates the Justice League International...