Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Superior Schemer~ Artemis Assassin's Avatar

Default The new Hellfire Club?

So there've been many incarnations of the Hellfire Club and it's always seemed to play an important role in the X-Verse, but with this new incarnation I'm not sure. After reading W&XM it seems pretty much like they're a kiddie-club hell bent on causing trouble. They've obviously got the ressources part down, but any thoughts on whether or not those kids will actually live up to the name? Frankly I think that except for Kade Kilgore they don't even seem to be that much into it, it's like they're a bunch of bored kids who just want to cause trouble (begs the question when Quire joins in). Basically I think they're a fun antagonist for the school as in fighting other kids, but not the X-Men as a whole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2065535-hellfire_super.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	92582

Everybody on the forums calls them the Hellfire Brats. Personally I wish Wolverine gutted them all.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

So do I, but even the stone-cold X-Force killers are reluctant to take a kid's life, as demonstrated in the gloriously in-character ending of UXF #4 where Archangel even started sobbing just at the thought of taking down Kid Apocalypse. So if Logan is consistent, he should take them to his school and try to reeducate them.
    I don't know what to consider canon anymore :(
    Comicmofo
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post17765682

HopeistheGreatestofEvils Atomiq's Avatar

I want to see Shaw curbstomp the little shits. If Aaron wants to create Kid villains fine, but why does he have to wreck the Hellfire Club? Is his next plan to replace the Marauders with dinosaurs?

I like the kids. They make for interesting villains. However, I'm a massive fan of the Hellfire club. I liked the mysterious, rich, old English, gentleman's club premise. These kids have ruined that. The Hellfire club is basically a glorified creche now.

Quote Originally Posted by atomiq View Post
    is his next plan to replace the marauders with dinosaurs?
    that would be awesome!

This is how Selene should return. When Selene all battered and old, She returns to To the Hellfire Club only to discover the "new" members. Disgusted by such foolery, Selene absorbs their life force and immediately returns to Goddess status and plots her revenge against Wolverine and his school "Selene will not attack Cyclops X-Men and Rogue would be on a date with Magneto to avoid Selene".
    "That's how it happened on Earth 141 where BOTA was written by Headmasters Claremont, Milligan and Carey." - Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis Assassin View Post
    So there've been many incarnations of the Hellfire Club and it's always seemed to play an important role in the X-Verse, but with this new incarnation I'm not sure. After reading W&XM it seems pretty much like they're a kiddie-club hell bent on causing trouble. They've obviously got the ressources part down, but any thoughts on whether or not those kids will actually live up to the name? Frankly I think that except for Kade Kilgore they don't even seem to be that much into it, it's like they're a bunch of bored kids who just want to cause trouble (begs the question when Quire joins in). Basically I think they're a fun antagonist for the school as in fighting other kids, but not the X-Men as a whole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2065535-hellfire_super.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	92582
    They are (IMHO) a joke which is already getting old. Also they had no real reason of destroying the school aside from Kades desire to sell more anti-mutant weapons. Apparrently the existence of a mutant school prevents that somehow. Now that he failed, it is some sort of revenge thing, which doesn't really make sense.
    I hate it if the villains have no real motive for their actions. Of course, there is also the fact that these kids are all true psychopaths, which doesn't really make them sympathic.

Celeste was Right! ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

can we also talk about how bizarre it is that Selene and Magneto never became an item? they are PERFECT for each other.
    "Generation X was the one, pristine, x-team..."- darknessatnoon
    My X-Men Sketch Book

He was busy being led on by Emma.

They should stop using the Hellfire Club. Forever.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

they're shit villains, i stopped reading watxm because of them, the can be taken down at any time by any of the x-men, the only thing stopping this is because nobody wants to smack a child, as someone else mentioned, we'll just have to wait for shaw or selene to take them out with ease without remorse.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i would like to see more of the London Branch.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Honestly, as villains, you have to wish they would have chosen a different name because compared to the original group, short of killing off the entire school, they will always be lacking.

BANNED

The only reason the new Hellfire Club is any good is that it makes the club look as ridiculous as its always been (somehow the attire was never enough). It's a club house for a bunch of super-trustfund brats, instead of a sex club for a bunch of super-trustfund adults. Same basic premise, just more pointed (and significantly less subtle). Also, makes it more "kid friendly" or something?

(Plus, Aaron clearly has a writer's bulge for Damian Wayne, even if he's proving he doesn't quite get him.)

These kids are the perfect villains for the whimsical and silly WATX books for two reasons. First, a major theme of the book is protecting the innocence and goodness of children, such as Idie, and these children represent the mirror opposite. They are horrible, vile, and self-absorbed killers. Second, these kids are comic relief, especially the girl. Given WATX is more for the lolz than the more serious UX book, that these kids are literally a joke is what makes them fit.

Quinn's point is interesting. It does make the entire Hellfire outfit seem more ridiculous than it did before, although I doubt that this was the point of it all.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.