Default new to the forum/comic book world

Hi Guys! new to the thread and the comic book world as well....My wife and I just went to Seattle Comic-con recently(got our pics taken with Jon and Laurie from Walking Dead!) for our first time and loved it! I've never really been into the comic book scene but after comic con its definitely something I would enjoy...Just recently bought a bunch of The New 52 from DC and am also getting into the Avengers Vs. X-Men....any other good recommendations? Can I just jump right in anywhere in any series or are there some important back stories that I should be aware of? I'm a pretty mainstream guy, so I'd like to dive into the bigger names first. Input appreciated! Thanks people!

Quote Originally Posted by jsimz924 View Post
    Hi Guys! new to the thread and the comic book world as well....My wife and I just went to Seattle Comic-con recently(got our pics taken with Jon and Laurie from Walking Dead!) for our first time and loved it! I've never really been into the comic book scene but after comic con its definitely something I would enjoy...Just recently bought a bunch of The New 52 from DC and am also getting into the Avengers Vs. X-Men....any other good recommendations? Can I just jump right in anywhere in any series or are there some important back stories that I should be aware of? I'm a pretty mainstream guy, so I'd like to dive into the bigger names first. Input appreciated! Thanks people!
    Sounds like you like superheroes, so what you might want to do is just try some of the best superhero comics available in collected editions. Here are some cool mainstream superhero TPBs to start with:

The Golden Age: Great story by James Robinson about the superheroes that came before the ones we have now.
    Marvels: This has beautiful painted art and is a look at the Marvel Universe from a sort of man on the street perspective.
    Watchmen: DC is reviving these characters soon, so it might be a good time to read up on the original. Widely acknowledged as one of the best superhero stories ever written.
    Dark Knight Returns: Dark future batman with some political undertones by Frank Miller.
    Batman Year One: Batman's early days.
    Superman: Man of Steel: Same thing with Superman.
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga: Probably the best remembered and most popular X-Men story.

Check into those, that'll get you off to a good start. You don't need to catch up on years of backstory or read a title from the start to get into comics. For the most part you can just jump in and catch up as you go along.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 04-28-2012 at 01:53 PM.