Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there no forum on CBR for comic ART?

I'm sure there are a lot of members who go to comic conventions and pick up sketches and stuff. So if you want to showcase and/or discuss comic art, which forum?

Artist and Writer Showcase.

3 forums down from this one.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Why not? Because a dozen people a year would post in it.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Artist and Writer Showcase.

3 forums down from this one.
    How did I miss that? Thanks!

Edit: That one won't work either. :(

5. INAPPROPRIATE MODES OF DISCUSSION

This forum is for CBR posters to share their work. Please refrain from posting others' artwork.
    Last edited by USArmyParatrooper; 04-28-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Just make a thread here?
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Is there really a lot to discuss with sketches?

Poster #1: "Here's a cool Slave Leia-esque sketch I got from Francis Manapul. It's cool."

Poster #2: "That's cool."

Poster #3: "Very cool."

Poster #4 (who went to public school): "Kewl."

SUPERECWFAN1: "Dude, shes got gaint tits!"
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post

Poster #1: "Here's a cool Slave Leia-esque sketch I got from Francis Manapul. It's cool."

You are actually suggesting that discussions about works of art and artists are limited to such childish banter? Unbelievable.

I'm saying there isn't a whole lot to discuss. I just used a parodying manner.

I'm saying there isn't a whole lot to discuss. I just used a parodying manner.
    About art?? There's a shit ton to discuss.

About art, yes. Convention sketches, however, will mostly get "That's nice" comments. Even the $1,000 ones. There just isn't much to discuss. They're cool, but they aren't Picasso.

Hell, go look at the comics threads. How many threads about art do you see?

About art, yes. Convention sketches, however, will mostly get "That's nice" comments. Even the $1,000 ones. There just isn't much to discuss. They're cool, but they aren't Picasso.

Hell, go look at the comics threads. How many threads about art do you see?
    Where did you get that sketch done? What was Francis like in person? Does he do at home commissions or does he only do sketches at Cons? Was that one a quick freebe that artists do sometimes or was a paid commission? Here's some of his more elaborate work.

And by the way, there are other categories besides just convention sketches. "At home" commissions are generally more more detailed because they can spend more time on them. And we haven't even touched on original published art.

Tomb Raider #50 Page 20

You should've gotten one of adorable Max Rebo. What a waste.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
    Where did you get that sketch done? What was Francis like in person? Does he do at home commissions or does he only do sketches at Cons? Was that one a quick freebe that artists do sometimes or was a paid commission?
    It was Wizard World Chicago in 2007 or 2008. He was sitting next to Adrian Alphona (they're both Canadian and I assume came to the show together) and they both had lines so I didn't get to talk to them much aside from the two minutes it took to do their sketches. Both were free.

I don't know if he does commissions at home or if he concentrates on his monthly title work.

Okay, you got me. I guess there is stuff to talk about. Is that Tomb Raider page yours?

It was Wizard World Chicago in 2007 or 2008. He was sitting next to Adrian Alphona (they're both Canadian and I assume came to the show together) and they both had lines so I didn't get to talk to them much aside from the two minutes it took to do their sketches. Both were free.

I don't know if he does commissions at home or if he concentrates on his monthly title work.

Okay, you got me. I guess there is stuff to talk about. Is that Tomb Raider page yours?
    Hah!

No, none of those are mine. I just recently started getting into comic art. Thus far I own a couple of sketch (blank) covers, one published TMNT cover piece, and I just today picked up this Jay Anacleto sketch. This is all done in just pencil! Anacleto is amazing.

I think this is a neat idea for a thread. I'm not into paying a lot for commissions, but getting a sketch or some original art a con is a really nice way to get something with a connection to one of your favorite artists. I also enjoy meeting and talking with them.

I've only been to four or five conventions, so I don't have that many, but:

Here is a quick sketch of Veronica that the great Stan Goldberg did for me at last year's Cincinatti Comic Expo. It's "Veronica With Hat" because he said the black hair takes too long to ink in. Oh, and Craig Boldman was a the next table over and I got him to sign it, too, on some weird impulse. I think that might have been a breach of con etiquette but he was nice about it.

Stan Goldberg was a really cool, funny guy, he had some interesting stories about working for Marvel and Archie and talked about what he thought of the latest "Archie Gets Married" storyline. And he signed a bunch of Millie the Model comics and an issue of Vicki that I found at the con. He was doing the sketches for $10 a pop, I think, and I think he started doing it because not many people were really interested in buying the original art pages he had for sale. I think I was the first one that day, I bought a Jughead story that I wish I could post a page from here, but it's too big to scan. I may try to take a picture of it.

These next two I got from Craig Boldman at this year's Louisville comic con. He just sort of radiates nice. I talked to him about favorite Archie characters, how Samm Schwartz is the best Jughead artist and how he influenced Boldman's run on Jughead, and how not many papers are carrying the Archie newspaper strip any more. I think the original newspaper strip was $30 and the stamp art was $25, I can't remember.

Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 04-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.