Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Honestly, its not the effort... its the desire to be informed that proves the point. If you still have to know, they cant be doing that bad a job.... if they were you'd give up on the character / franchise and move on. its fine if you check back every once and a while.... thats trying to see if its gotten better. Knowing every spoiler because you cant help but read it.... that speaks volumes. The reasons one tells themselves to justify that can vary wildly, but the reality is the person is still intrigued monthly.

I don't necessarily think it does honestly...I can't tell you how many comics I read monthly, that I don't buy & really don't have a strong interest in just because A. I'm bored & B. Somehow or another I have easy access to these books.

As an example I let my brother bum/read comics off me & every single month I bring over Secret Avengers in my stack & every month he tells me how much he hates the comic & how boring it is.

I belive my brother when he says he hates the comic (cause he tells me over & over agian) so the only reason I can conclude why he continues to read it is A. He's that bored & B. It's accessible and not costing him a thing to read it except a couple of minutes.

Personally I think this is a big reason why some people might keep up with the book despite not liking the direction of it.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 05-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Yah, the fact that people follow the book really says nothing about their feelings for it. Feelings for the character, sure. I mean, did I really go and read the 1990s Clone Saga because I was convinced the story would be this incredible, must-read spectacular? No. Same goes for Onslaught. I read these because A) I am interested in the characters and B) the books were available for free.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

I have not bought ASM in a while, but not because of OMD and not for protest reasons.

I'd rather not go into detail why, but I'm glad many people are enjoying it.
    Bring back X-23's series petition
    https://www.change.org/petitions/mar...n-series-again

Bring back X-23's series facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/X23Fan

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G@ry View Post
    I have not bought ASM in a while, but not because of OMD and not for protest reasons.

I'd rather not go into detail why, but I'm glad many people are enjoying it.
    Is it because Dan Slott is a sexy mofo and you just can't trust yourself alone in a room with something he had a hand in creating?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't disagree with the thought process that meant splitting up Peter and MJ. But I still think the story quality of OMD in and of itself was one of the worst storylines I have ever read in all of my comics reading experiences.
    I agree with this. If Marvel really wanted to break up Peter and Mary Jane, I think there were far more efficient ways with which to do it. It wasn't so much that they were broken up as it was Peter making a deal with the devil and for some extremely selfish reasons no less. It really does taint his credibility as a hero in my opinion. I can't really take him too seriously when he talks about moral high ground anymore. That doesn't mean I don't think the post-OMD stuff is bad, but I don't think it was worth it in the long run. Marvel is supposed to be the house of ideas. If they want to split up Peter and Mary Jane, there are far more efficient means of doing so aside from making a deal with the devil. I can't think of one, but then again I'm not being paid by a company to come up with these brilliant ideas.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Can't believe they are still singing the same line about One More Day being a necessity. First, it was supposed to be something to "Keep the character intact for future generations", which roughly translates to "Raise the sales of the comic" (because you can't have future generations reading a canceled comic, right?).

It's hard to say which was the case, if sales stayed the same or went down, but they most certainly didn't go up. Say what you want about the DC relaunch, at least for a moment those sales went up, something which Amazing Spider-Man can't say.

Now that the sales obviously didn't go up, they changed their tune to "Thanks to One More Day, we have a new very creative period going on in Amazing Spider-Man", a line which really can't be denied since it speaks about something hard to measure.

But One More Day is still praised for getting here, and still being praised as a necessity. Good for them for thinking so, but somehow I feel that the comic is less and less relevant to the future of the character, so either if Spider-Man was uncreative before One More Day or not, the character would be preserved for future generations just fine. Something I'm glad of, since I don't think the Super-Hero Comic Book Industry has a lot of life in it.

Pirelli's Miracle Elixir Probably_not_a_Nurgling's Avatar

It doesn't really sound like Axel really cares about OMD either way, honestly. He seems to take the position of "If it gets retconned, it gets retconned," and that he wouldn't interfere with a writer doing that. I bear no ill will toward him.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Probably_not_a_Nurgling View Post
    It doesn't really sound like Axel really cares about OMD either way, honestly. He seems to take the position of "If it gets retconned, it gets retconned," and that he wouldn't interfere with a writer doing that. I bear no ill will toward him.
    Writers/editors are professionals, and they don't tend to take these things personally. You walk in with the understanding that you're playing with someone else's toys, love the time you've got, and eventually hand them on to the next guy.

Steve Wacker's said repeatedly that he wouldn't be surprised if Peter does get married again eventually.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Pirelli's Miracle Elixir Probably_not_a_Nurgling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Writers/editors are professionals, and they don't tend to take these things personally. You walk in with the understanding that you're playing with someone else's toys, love the time you've got, and eventually hand them on to the next guy.
    But because they're professionals, you'll usually hear writers and editors support what the company does. That's why an "Eh, it'll probably be retconned so it doesn't matter," from the top of the food chain, no less, surprised me.

Steve Wacker's said repeatedly that he wouldn't be surprised if Peter does get married again eventually.
    I look forward to that, but more than that I look forward to the day Peter feels regret over his decision in OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I look forward to that, but more than that I look forward to the day Peter feels regret over his decision in OMD.
    I don't want to see OMD revisited in the 616 anymore. I'm pretty much past it now.

It would make for an interesting alternate continuity, where Pete constantly laments over the devil-deal instead of Uncle Ben. Maybe he's Ghost Rider!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Probably_not_a_Nurgling View Post
    But because they're professionals, you'll usually hear writers and editors support what the company does. That's why an "Eh, it'll probably be retconned so it doesn't matter," from the top of the food chain, no less, surprised me.
    Writers and editors don't always support the company line. Sometimes they abstain from talking about a controversy, and sometimes they say, "That's not the way I would have done it."

They do tend to support the decisions they make, because if not, why make them?

I don't want to see OMD revisited in the 616 anymore. I'm pretty much past it now.
    I find it a good story, except for the unheroic decision made by Peter at the end. Worth revisiting if just because its such a singular moment in Spider-Man history. But I admit, the retcon of the marriage out of 20 years of continuity really get me all hot and bothered still. Its hard to get over that big of a retcon coming from Marvel. All those issues, the wedding issue the marriage, the entire era, its an important part of Spidey lore and I kind of want it back as it stood. Its my cross to bear. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I find it a good story, except for the unheroic decision made by Peter at the end. Worth revisiting if just because its such a singular moment in Spider-Man history. But I admit, the retcon of the marriage out of 20 years of continuity really get me all hot and bothered still. Its hard to get over that big of a retcon coming from Marvel. All those issues, the wedding issue the marriage, the entire era, its an important part of Spidey lore and I kind of want it back as it stood. Its my cross to bear. ;)
    They're all pretty important to me, too, as Mr. and Mrs. Parker saw me from adolescence to adulthood.

But I can deal.

It would make for an interesting alternate continuity, where Pete constantly laments over the devil-deal instead of Uncle Ben. Maybe he's Ghost Rider!

I'll never be cool with OMD just for the simple fact that it's an unfinished story where Peter never remembers the whole deal with Mephisto and never has to deal with any type of reprecussions from it.

I don't see why he'd endlessly have to lament/complain about it He didn't do that when he got back from the House of M reality where he'd experienced what the perfect life would've been like had Gwen Stacy lived & then had to reconcile that with his feelings for MJ....He expressed frustration over it for half an issue or so but thats about it.

It just doesn't sit right with me that Peter will remain ignorant of the deal & never have to deal with any reprecussions because it irked Joe Q & some other people at Marvel to have Peter & MJ married to the point where they couldn't concoct a better story to dissolve the marriage.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 05-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.