Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    What are you, some kind of savage?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Honestly, the way I read him was that he was pointing to the popularity of the character. IE if you arent buying it but are still following it then you are still keeping up with it. If you are still keeping up with it, then they cant be doing something thats too bad.... otherwise you would completely move on.

I guess thats true but what benefit does Marvel get from people who're still following the book in some way or another but aren't paying for it "Ha you say you've moved on BUT you're really keeping up with the book!!! BUT you're not buying it...."

Seems like a shallow victory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Honestly, the way I read him was that he was pointing to the popularity of the character. IE if you arent buying it but are still following it then you are still keeping up with it. If you are still keeping up with it, then they cant be doing something thats too bad.... otherwise you would completely move on.
    That's.....just not true. Loyalty to the character exists independent of how bad what they're doing now is. You want to know what happens because you continue to hope it gets better, or just so you're informed. The property is bigger than the current caretakers, and no matter how bad a job someone may think they're doing, you're not going to ignore the property just because the current temporary people are doing that bad job.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Peeking in now and then is one thing, knowing a few spoilers. Knowing every detail of the last twenty issues is a pretty big endeavor for someone supposedly not reading it.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Anyone who hates something but keeps up to date with it is just flat out weird.

If I got angry every time I read something, i'd stop reading it.
    "Dan Slott was also unbelievably helpful during this period as he helped me formulate some of the ideas that eventually be used in "OMIT." Dan is a champ and an idea machine" - Joey Q

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Peeking in now and then is one thing, knowing a few spoilers. Knowing every detail of the last twenty issues is a pretty big endeavor for someone supposedly not reading it.
    I agree, but I'm not sure how many of those people there really know every detail. Just from looking at these spoiler threads I can find out 80-90% of what happens, and I'm quite picky. And Major events are covered in wikipeida, of course. The majority of my knowledge on comics is wikipedia based (outside of Spider-Man, at this point).

I don't think very many people go to the lengths necessary to know every detail. I think some do, and most of the rest just know enough to sound convincing. Sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Deery View Post

If I got angry every time I read something, i'd stop reading it.
    I wouldn't read stuff I hated either, but it's not that simple of a situation. It's the same reason people dragged themselves to Episode II and Episode III even though they hated Episode 1. They love the property. They may not love that particular expression, but out of past enjoyment, the possibility of future enjoyment, loyalty, and morbid curiosity, they want to know what is happening with the property they love.

And really, comic books aren't like video games. The effort it takes to keep up on this stuff is minimal. Not like there's a sixty hour campaign to trudge through. You can find out most stuff in ten minutes or less.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Deery View Post
    a wonder woman fans mentality to the nu 52

I don't get it either fanboys are strange creatures
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

My response is that he is going to have to prove to me that I wouldn't still think the stories were good with a married Peter Parker rather than an unmarried one. All of the same post BND stories are possible without OMD, just with minor tweaks here and there.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

I always think that Marvel should killed Mary Jane, not the old fool in OMD and the deal be about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    My response is that he is going to have to prove to me that I wouldn't still think the stories were good with a married Peter Parker rather than an unmarried one. All of the same post BND stories are possible without OMD, just with minor tweaks here and there.
    If Peter and MJ were married, the dynamic of the title would be different, just because of MJ's increased presence.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Yup. For example, it makes sense for someone who hasn't been reading the title in years to know that Roderick Kingsley died.

It's a bit suspicious if they criticize how that impacted Phil Urich, Norah Winters and Randy Robertson.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If Peter and MJ were married, the dynamic of the title would be different, just because of MJ's increased presence.
    Minor change, still, and one that wouldn't affect the story quality.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Screw the rules I have $$ Seto Kaiba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't disagree with the thought process that meant splitting up Peter and MJ. But I still think the story quality of OMD in and of itself was one of the worst storylines I have ever read in all of my comics reading experiences.
    This. I've always said that I didn't mind that Peter and MJ were broken up. It's the HOW that annoys me.

But even then, I didn't boycott. As much as I hated OMD, I was curious how things would be post-OMD. And honestly? I think things are pretty damn good right now. Especially with Slott at the helm.

Well Marvel has made it very easy to break habits, at least for me.

I didn't buy the Spider-Man books right away post OMD since that with the combination of the BND stuff really soured me on the book but I eventually came back through the mid to latter parts of BND but I jumped ship again once that ended and Big Time started. If the book's still doing dynamite in sales then well....okay but I'm not currently supporting the book due to not liking either it's direction nor do I feel that it's worth $3.99 a month (although I'll make allowances for Carnage since it's a mini and it's pretty good). I put my money where my mouth is and stopped buying the book as I'm sure other people have but that's probably not going to impact sales significantly because Spider-Man is a much beloved property that majority fans will still buy come hell or high water no matter how much they complain about it.

All I can do is just hope that one day the Spider-Man book take a direction that appeals to me and sort of caters towards what I liked about him before but in the mean time I'll still take stuff like Venom and Scarlet Spider since those books, while not being Spider-Man, still carry that universe very well in their own unique ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Well Marvel has made it very easy to break habits, at least for me.

I didn't buy the Spider-Man books right away post OMD since that with the combination of the BND stuff really soured me on the book but I eventually came back through the mid to latter parts of BND but I jumped ship again once that ended and Big Time started. If the book's still doing dynamite in sales then well....okay but I'm not currently supporting the book due to not liking either it's direction nor do I feel that it's worth $3.99 a month (although I'll make allowances for Carnage since it's a mini and it's pretty good). I put my money where my mouth is and stopped buying the book as I'm sure other people have but that's probably not going to impact sales significantly because Spider-Man is a much beloved property that majority fans will still buy come hell or high water no matter how much they complain about it.

All I can do is just hope that one day the Spider-Man book take a direction that appeals to me and sort of caters towards what I liked about him before but in the mean time I'll still take stuff like Venom and Scarlet Spider since those books, while not being Spider-Man, still carry that universe very well in their own unique ways.
    What's wrong with the current direction? I think it's fantastic! And how come you didn't like OMD