Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    I know for fact that there are some people out there like this but probably not nearly as many people as Alonso suspects...It's quite the weird little Phenomenon I'll never quite get My favorite examples for why people continue to buy books they hate.

"This book is the only book that has my favorite character appearing in it" Soooo even if that character or the book is being written horrendously & out of character you'll still continue to shovel $$ it's way?

Of course you've got the " I've been collecting this book from the start & I'm not gonna have any holes in my collection" argument...............Well guess what with a book like ASM or say Detective comics it's gonna continue on long after you're dead & buried so it's always gonna be impossible for you to have a complete collection

I'll never understand the mindset of the completionist I guess

I'll admit I am a completionist for Batman and was for Spider-Man to an exent. Its weird it finally took my last 20 issue run on ASM to push me away from that mentality. I now check back in cheaply every so often on the character.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In the latest Axel-in-Charge column, Axel Alonso suggested that One More Day was necessary for what we're currently getting in Amazing Spider-Man.

What do you guys think of his assessment?
    As someone who HAS "...put his money where his mouth is" (All my Spidey money now goes to Green Lantern) I can say that OMD wasn't necessary as most of Slott's stories that I have seen could have been written while Pete and MJ were still married. The only difference would be the absence of that silliness involving "Party Pooper". I was tempted to buy SPIDER-ISLAND only because I was intrigued by the whole MJ with Spider-Powers bit and I liked the ending. But Marvel managed to foul that up in the TRDPBK.

Good stories and artwork= moolah, moolah, moolah! Married or single doesn't matter one iota.

My direct response to Axel's charge of "Mission Accomplished"? Ask Georgie W...
    Last edited by LEADER DESSLOK; 04-29-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: tweaks
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

This is in regards to the part in the interview about putting one's money where their mouth it. I stopped buying Amazing Spider-Man when Dan Slott seemingly killed off the original Hobgoblin Roderick Kingsley; that was my big OMD moment, if you will. I had come back to buying the title again for "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut!" and "The Grim Hunt", and even kept buying it after those two stories wrapped up, only to drop it again some months later, much to my disappointment. I had recalled someone mentioning that Joe Quesada once said something about voting with your dollar, and so I have.

I keep up on Spidey by reading and borrowing issues from friends, only because I like to keep up with one of my favorite characters, and I can honestly say, the book went in a direction I don't particularly like or care for. There's probably only been one story-line I liked since the new direction took place ("No One Dies"), yet even that story-line had a huge flaw that kept me from completely enjoying it (Spidey's new "No one dies!" catchphrase/motivation, since I thought that was already a big part of who Spidey was; Massacre really stole the show for me, though).

I'll come back to buying the title when:
    1. Roderick Kingsley is revealed alive and well (Whether it's by Slott or a future writer) so as to retake the title from that worse-than-Jason Macendale-ever-was Phil Urich Hobgoblin.
    2. Dan Slott leaves AND someone else comes to take the title in a direction I find more enjoyable/interesting (I don't see Mr.Slott being the one to take it in a direction I really enjoy, as he's already sort of set his own tone and style for the series, but I'd love to be proven wrong).
    3. A writer I really enjoy comes back to the title, like Roger Stern (It worked on me when he came back during the BND era).
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    I was tempted to buy SPIDER-ISLAND only because I was intrigued by the whole MJ with Spider-Powers bit and I liked the ending. But Marvel managed to foul that up in the TRDPBK.
    What did they foul up in the trade? I have the collection and think they did a great job!

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well given this is the March data according to ICV2 and all...

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22625.html

Amazing Spider-Man 681 - 52,143
    Amazing Spider-Man 682 - 57,143

I suppose its a success due to double shipping perhaps. As far as sales go... ASM has been in the 50,000 range for the past year it seems. I last saw a thread discussing sales and it seems like the near same exact range.

I admit its likely some are still buying who proclaim they aren't and claim utter anger at it. Alonso is right there. But if he's pointing to sales no and thinking a majority are lying about buying the book ....well....doubtful. There is just so many avenues people can stay up to date and know whats happening in the book now.
    Honestly, the way I read him was that he was pointing to the popularity of the character. IE if you arent buying it but are still following it then you are still keeping up with it. If you are still keeping up with it, then they cant be doing something thats too bad.... otherwise you would completely move on.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Honestly, the way I read him was that he was pointing to the popularity of the character. IE if you arent buying it but are still following it then you are still keeping up with it. If you are still keeping up with it, then they cant be doing something thats too bad.... otherwise you would completely move on.
    I still dig ASM, but whenever I wear a Spider-Man tie to church, it bursts into flames by the altar!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I still dig ASM, but whenever I wear a Spider-Man tie to church, it bursts into flames by the altar!
    "David Walton", what do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    "David Walton", what do you mean by this?
    It means I've added "stop, drop and roll" to my Sunday routine.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In the latest Axel-in-Charge column, Axel Alonso suggested that One More Day was necessary for what we're currently getting in Amazing Spider-Man.

What do you guys think of his assessment?
    Well, I can't really speculate much about people who complain, claim they won't buy a comic and then do anyway. I am sure that exists and it happens with sports too ("I'm done with this team!!") but that is just the nature of a lot of fans: they simply like to complain and get melodramatic.

But I wholeheartedly agree with his assertion that we are in the midst of a "renaissance" under Dan Slott. We are in the midst of what is easily the best run ASM has seen in many years, decades even. I've said enough times that I thought OMD (and OMIT for that matter) was a turd of a story and the marriage could have and should have been undone many other ways. In fact, it deserved a much better story than it got for it's undoing but, since roughly 6 months after OMD, this title has been flat-out brilliant and so I can sort of "block out" the awkward way we got here. I suppose if you have an awful flight but an awesome tropical island vacation, you don't generally spend all your time talking about how bad the flight was when you get back home, do you?
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

It means I've added "stop, drop and roll" to my Sunday routine.
    I meant why???

I meant why???
    Because I like to wear Spider-Man ties to church.

Because I like to wear Spider-Man ties to church.
    But why would your ties catch on fire?

But why would your ties catch on fire?
    Because Spider-Man made a deal with the devil!

Seriously, though, it's never burst into flames, but I have a wicked cool Spider-Man 'spider-sense' tie that I wear to church from time to time. It sparked a whole discussion about Avengers this week.

Because Spider-Man made a deal with the devil!

Seriously, though, it's never burst into flames, but I have a wicked cool Spider-Man 'spider-sense' tie that I wear to church from time to time. It sparked a whole discussion about Avengers this week.
    He did? OMIT showed that never happened

I would never wear a tie. It's so suffocating.

:I would never wear a tie. It's so suffocating.
    What are you, some kind of savage?