Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 129
  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    If I can add in my two cent to this...

    I would say it would depend on the writer of the story to make it buy able for me.

    Now I will admit and say that I once said that I would never buy Spider-man post OMD, but then again if it weren't for writers like Fred Van Lente and Dan Slott remind me of what makes Spider-man special, then I would have just quit the series all together.

    Now I enjoy Dan's current Spider-man work and if someday he can find a way to undo OMD, then I will be ever grateful to him.
    ...your writing style is odd. Is English not your first language? Not that it matters.

    What's wrong with OMD? It did what it was intended to do: wipe away the horrible marriage. Single Spidey is awesome!

  2. #17
    Senior Member classicgmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,945

    Default

    Axel isn't really saying anything Joe Q & Tom Brevoort & a couple others haven't so to me his comments are just retreads of whats been said before. Outside of dating options I'm not really seeing where OMD was necessary to do all or some of the things that've been done since so I've always found this stance to be pretty laughable....If he really wanted to make his point (and I'm not sure that he did really) he should've thrown out a couple of examples.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Ed Sizzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneSaga View Post
    "one <story development> that will probably be rectified in the future. ".
    I don't feel offended when Axel presents his view, even though I disagree with most of it. That is a huge plus. And the last quote implies that OMD was a mistake.
    I can't help but think that last quote was in reference to Nightcrawler, rather than OMD.

    "The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

  4. #19
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    I can't help but think that last quote was in reference to Nightcrawler, rather than OMD.
    Yeah, that's what it looks like to me.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  5. #20
    Senior Member Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Axel isn't really saying anything Joe Q & Tom Brevoort & a couple others haven't so to me his comments are just retreads of whats been said before. Outside of dating options I'm not really seeing where OMD was necessary to do all or some of the things that've been done since so I've always found this stance to be pretty laughable....If he really wanted to make his point (and I'm not sure that he did really) he should've thrown out a couple of examples.
    It's notable for two reasons

    1) They still won't admit it was a collosal ****-up or at least that their motive was simply "because that's what we wanted"
    2) As the new EiC, some were hopeful that perhaps Mr. Alonso's position on the matter would be slightly different/more reasonable, his answer demonstrates that this is, unfortunately, not the case.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

  6. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    I can't help but think that last quote was in reference to Nightcrawler, rather than OMD.
    While they might regret Nightcrawler they fixed that by adding THREE variations of the character with AoA Nightcrawler for X-force, Kid Nighcrawler for X-treme, and the bamfs.

  7. #22
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    2) As the new EiC, some were hopeful that perhaps Mr. Alonso's position on the matter would be slightly different/more reasonable, his answer demonstrates that this is, unfortunately, not the case.
    I always wondered why people even began to hope that, when he was one of the Editors of the OMD story.

  8. #23
    Senior Member Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I always wondered why people even began to hope that, when he was one of the Editors of the OMD story.
    JMS was the WRITER on OMD, and we all see his reaction four years down the line, so the fact that Alonso was an editor I don't think warranted a lot of consideration.

    Plus, well, hope is a funny thing, we'll go to great lengths to keep it alive.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

  9. #24
    Senior Member classicgmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    It's notable for two reasons

    1) They still won't admit it was a collosal ****-up or at least that their motive was simply "because that's what we wanted"
    2) As the new EiC, some were hopeful that perhaps Mr. Alonso's position on the matter would be slightly different/more reasonable, his answer demonstrates that this is, unfortunately, not the case.




    #1 They're never gonna admit that it was a "collsal ***-up" (your words not mine BUT I do agree) because in their eyes it wasn't. The end result of getting rid of the marriage was all that mattered & things like how the story was told, reasons given for the erasure of the marriage, method utilized, etc these things were all secondary & not that important so long as the marriage was eliminated.


    #2 I don't know why people held out on Alonso having a different outlook I mean if you held a position of influence/power within a Co. wouldn't you want to make sure those closest to you including your eventual successor held similar outlooks/views on various matters that you would?

    Believe me the outlook of the people way up top guiding ASM won't be changing anytime soon which is why I will not be buying ASM for a looooooooong time to come no matter what creative team they put on the book.

  10. #25
    Senior Member Lascoden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,756

    Default

    Alonso: I'm always a bit skeptical when people say they’ve dropped a series, yet they seem to know everything that's occurred in it over the last few months. [Laughs]

    Um, dude, they have this thing called the internet.

  11. #26
    Senior Member Ed Sizzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lascoden View Post
    Alonso: I'm always a bit skeptical when people say they’ve dropped a series, yet they seem to know everything that's occurred in it over the last few months. [Laughs]

    Um, dude, they have this thing called the internet.
    Post of the day.

    "The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

  12. #27
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,353

    Default

    It sounds like a deflection and not realizing the reality of things nowadays. Sure people may know what is going on with your characters and what is happening in the titles. But they are less doing several things.

    1.) Reading the issues at the LCS - Which isn't buying your product.

    2.) Reading the Previews at the LCS - Which isn't buying your product.

    3.) Reading spoilers online - Which isn't buying your product.

    4.) Going to sites and stealing the work to read for free - Which isn't buying your product.


    Now I'm sure some do buy the books. I am sure some will do that. But if some are claiming , well we haven't bought it and the EIC dismisses it believing they all are lying ...well there is options out there where they don't have to. But of course I suppose its best to jam your fingers in your ears and deny that.

    Good luck with Spider-Man , Alonso. Its been over 4 years and the company still can't seem to get past OMD by having the EIC bring it up.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  13. #28
    I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    #1 They're never gonna admit that it was a "collsal ***-up" (your words not mine BUT I do agree) because in their eyes it wasn't. The end result of getting rid of the marriage was all that mattered & things like how the story was told, reasons given for the erasure of the marriage, method utilized, etc these things were all secondary & not that important so long as the marriage was eliminated.
    This is the real reason OMD is a trainwreck of epic proportions that is still being talked about even now. They didn't care about any kind of real story. They wanted to get rid of the marriage, come hell or high-water. And OMIT was an even worse abomination to storytelling.

    Ugh... Is this crap what constitutes professional work?
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

    My Facebook page

  14. #29
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This is the real reason OMD is a trainwreck of epic proportions that is still being talked about even now. They didn't care about any kind of real story. They wanted to get rid of the marriage, come hell or high-water. And OMIT was an even worse abomination to storytelling.

    Ugh... Is this crap what constitutes professional work?

    I am glad I skipped out on OMIT beyond the 1st issue. I felt for the editor being handed that mess really. I did pick up 673 , 675-677 for 25 cents an issue at a store closing and was shocked at the latest , funniest revamp.

    Doctor Strange is now being credited as the one who wiped everything. Weird ....
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  15. #30
    I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I am glad I skipped out on OMIT beyond the 1st issue. I felt for the editor being handed that mess really. I did pick up 673 , 675-677 for 25 cents an issue at a store closing and was shocked at the latest , funniest revamp.

    Doctor Strange is now being credited as the one who wiped everything. Weird ....
    Trust me when I say this. I think OMIT is even worse than OMD. It's a confusing mess. You can get the themes (that Peter's need to be Spider-Man costs him his relationship with the woman he loves) but the execution is so bad you wonder how anyone didn't say "don't do it like this because this is bad storytelling." "The Night Gwen Stacy Died," this is not.

    It's really just a mess. This crap is what constitutes professional work? Ugh...
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

    My Facebook page

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •