Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Axel Alonso discusses what One More Day made possible

In the latest Axel-in-Charge column, Axel Alonso suggested that One More Day was necessary for what we're currently getting in Amazing Spider-Man.

Kiel Phegley: Axel, every week we talk a bit with the readers via our message board Q&A, and often we talk about the relationship Marvel works on building with its fans. But at C2E2, there was a moment at a Marvel panel that referenced the back-and-forth of the comics internet when a fan stood up and said that he hadn't bought a Marvel comic since Nightcrawler was killed. And you seemed really surprised by that. Was that the first time you'd had someone come up to you and say, "This isn't just complaining on the internet. I've actually put my money where my mouth is"?

Alonso: I'm always a bit skeptical when people say they’ve dropped a series, yet they seem to know everything that's occurred in it over the last few months. [Laughs] I mean, a lot of people announced they were dropping “Amazing Spider-Man” after "One More Day,” but the book is going through a renaissance under Dan Slott that wouldn’t have been possible without it. Case in point: I remember one guy at a con begging me to retcon “One More Day.” I asked him if he was currently enjoying the series, and he said, emphatically, “Yes!” and then he went on to explain how much he liked so many of the subplots and characters that, again, wouldn’t have been possible if we hadn’t done “One More Day.” And I said, “Mission accomplished.”

So yes, I’m still a bit skeptical when someone says they’re boycotting all Marvel Comics because of a story in one book. I guess it’s possible, but I don’t understand the mindset. I can’t imagine denying myself one of my passions because of one story development – and let’s face it, one that will probably be rectified in the future.
    What do you guys think of his assessment?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

I don't disagree with the thought process that meant splitting up Peter and MJ. But I still think the story quality of OMD in and of itself was one of the worst storylines I have ever read in all of my comics reading experiences.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

No he has a point many marvel fans don't put their money where their mouth is.

I do though. Haven't bought a 616 Spidey comic since OMD and don't see myself buying one anytime soon

Well, I'm only one super awesome guy, but I find the subplots I either don't care about or am actively irritated by are exactly the ones OMD made possible, IE romances that don't lead anywhere. So, c'est la vie.

The main romantic subplot is and forevermore will always be "When are Peter and Mary Jane going to get back together?"

At this point in time, do we really have to pretend that any future romantic interest is going to mean anything? It's essentially going to be like Wonder Woman and any love interest they created for her after they wrote out Steve Trevor following Crisis on Infinite Earths. Did anyone really care about any of the guys they tried to pair Diana up with?
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

BANNED

Romance plots in Marvel and DC are pointless anyway if all the have to do is reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The main romantic subplot is and forevermore will always be "When are Peter and Mary Jane going to get back together?"

At this point in time, do we really have to pretend that any future romantic interest is going to mean anything? It's essentially going to be like Wonder Woman and any love interest they created for her after they wrote out Steve Trevor following Crisis on Infinite Earths. Did anyone really care about any of the guys they tried to pair Diana up with?
    Maybe in your opinion. But it's hardly set in stone or unanimous. Also, who the hell is Steve Trevor? Superman should be Wonder Woman's love interest

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Maybe in your opinion. But it's hardly set in stone or unanimous. Also, who the hell is Steve Trevor? Superman should be Wonder Woman's love interest
    Okay. If Marvel could get Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr. to craft another love interest for Spidey, we'll talk.

(I say this without disrespect to current and future creators. But they ain't Stan and Steve and John.)

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Well, it's kind of a safe opinion to make. After all, Peter and Mary Jane have had an on again/off again romance for over 40 years, 20 of which they were depicted as husband and wife. That's not something that can be so easily swept under the rug, especially since it took not one but TWO four-part stories to alter and rewrite Peter and MJ's relationship status and history during their "married years." Not to mention almost every single media adaptation of Spider-Man predominantly features MJ as a love interest; the only exception has been the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon in which the main love interest was Gwen Stacy (although, MJ STILL was being teased as a possible love interest for Peter, which could have happened if the show actually continued for three more seasons like Greg Weisman originally planned) and the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man movie which also has Gwen as the love interest (although that's more likely because Sony wants their new Spider-Man films to be different from Raimi's trilogy and it's very possible for MJ to show up in the sequels). For those reasons, it's always going to be an uphill battle for whomever Marvel decides Peter's new girlfriend should be should it not be MJ, especially since they've also made it clear that Spider-Man "works better" if he remains single.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

I couldn't wait for this topic to show up so I already vented on the actual comment thread.

But it's nothing new. What he says is simply false. Nothing about the good parts of Mr. Slott's run required a single Peter. The fact that they stick to that party line that is obviously incorrect four years down the line is frustrating, however, all on its own.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Well, I'm only one super awesome guy, but I find the subplots I either don't care about or am actively irritated by are exactly the ones OMD made possible, IE romances that don't lead anywhere. So, c'est la vie.
    Well, I suppose I didn't consider the possibility that the person he talked to DID crave those type of stories. So, I mean, maybe he was actually correct in this one instance. I mean, stranger things have happened. Like that tiem Spdier-Man traded his marriage to the notDevil so his Ancient Aunt wouldn't die to be with her husband.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In the latest Axel-in-Charge column, Axel Alonso suggested that One More Day was necessary for what we're currently getting in Amazing Spider-Man.

What do you guys think of his assessment?
    "one <story development> that will probably be rectified in the future. ".
    I don't feel offended when Axel presents his view, even though I disagree with most of it. That is a huge plus. And the last quote implies that OMD was a mistake. He is satisfied that people like the stories despite OMD, but he seems open to the thought that when this direction has lost sufficient interest things may return back to a status quo much closer to how it was prior to OMD. It is at least the most positive that has come out of the mouths of Marvel since OMD.
    -Dan Slott: "Darn straight, CloneSaga! Beware the "Truth Stick!" :) "

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSaga View Post
    "one <story development> that will probably be rectified in the future. ".
    I don't feel offended when Axel presents his view, even though I disagree with most of it. That is a huge plus. And the last quote implies that OMD was a mistake. He is satisfied that people like the stories despite OMD, but he seems open to the thought that when this direction has lost sufficient interest things may return back to a status quo much closer to how it was prior to OMD. It is at least the most positive that has come out of the mouths of Marvel since OMD.
    Peter and MJ are going to get back together but they won't be married. Marvel doesn't want a married Spider-Man. I don't think they are "implying" that OMD was a mistake at all. After all, Alonso was the editor of OMD.

My Facebook page

Does being an editor for Marvel pay well? they seem to take a lot of heat and hatred from forum posters.

If I can add in my two cent to this...

I would say it would depend on the writer of the story to make it buy able for me.

Now I will admit and say that I once said that I would never buy Spider-man post OMD, but then again if it weren't for writers like Fred Van Lente and Dan Slott remind me of what makes Spider-man special, then I would have just quit the series all together.

Now I enjoy Dan's current Spider-man work and if someday he can find a way to undo OMD, then I will be ever grateful to him.