Default World War Hulk Reader

I just finished reading Planet Hulk, and absolutely loved it. I want to get into World War Hulk, but noticed there was quite a bit of material that fully encompassed it. A quick check on Amazon revealed the following trades:

World War Hulk, World War Hulk: Marvel Universe, World War Hulk: X-Men, Incredible Hercules: World War Hulk, World War Hulk: Gamma Corps, World War Hulk: Warbound, World War Hulk: Damage Control, and World War Hulk: Frontline.

Now, I have been told that the first is the only one I really need to follow the story, with Warbound the next most important to follow what happens to Hulk's allies, but beyond that, I have 4 questions:

1. First and foremost, is there anything I am missing from the above list?
    2. In terms of entertainment and/or importance, which ones would you recommend, and why?
    3. Which ones would you recommend avoiding, and why?
    4. Is there any particular order in which I should read the tie-ins?

1. World War Hulk: Marvel Universe collects World War Hulk: X-Men. They're not separate volumes.
    2. World War Hulk: Marvel Universe and World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules were the best reads, IMO. Incredible Hercules has great writing, following Hercules and some of Hulk's supporting cast. Marvel Universe is a mixed bag, but it's worth buying for the 3-issue X-Men story, which is very good. Damage Control was quite fun but ultimately unimportant.
    3. Front Line was a bit dull. I haven't read Gamma Corps, but I believe the general consensus is that it's mediocre.
    4. Damage Control and Warbound both take place in the aftermath. The rest are concurrent.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

World War Hulk, the main mini-series, is the only one you need to read to get the story.

The Marvel Universe trade includes the X-Men issues, I believe. It's a hodgepodge of tie-ins from a variety of books (Ant-Man, Avengers Initiative, Iron Man, X-Men and Ghost Rider). Some of the tie-ins are decent and add context to the main series, but overall it's not essential reading. Gamma Corps is also pretty extraneous. Frontline . . . I skipped it at the time, but Frontlines are almost never worth bothering with. The Herc tie-in is the best of the lot, although the ongoing series that spins out of it is better.

Damage Control and Warbound are aftermath ("Aftersmash") storylines. If you want to continue the Warbound's storyline after WWH or look at the cleanup of the destruction (more fun than it sounds), they're both fairly interesting. And, as I mentioned, there's an Incredible Hercules ongoing series that spins out of the crossover, continuing Herc and Amadeus Cho's storylines, that's very good.
    Expletive Deleted

Expletive Deleted's assessment is quite accurate. I have to echo the sentiment that Incredible Hercules really gets going after World War Hulk.

Overall I'd recommend:
    World War Hulk
    Incredible Hercules: Smash of the Titans hardcover (includes WWH issues plus the start of Incredible Hercules)
    World War Hulk: Marvel Universe, for the X-Men issues
    Last edited by Telos; 04-28-2012 at 05:41 AM.

other than the main series, I would just pick up WWH: INcredible Herc and WWH: X-Men. The reason is that they actually feature a lot of Hulk in them. the other tie-in may contain some scatter-shot Hulk appearances, but are mainly a vehicle for other characters.

There is only one book you should read besides the main mini and that is WWH: Heroes for Hire. I've never seen anything like it or since to compare to the drama and betrayal, of something that shouldn't even be in the Event, and yet, shines brighter than all those other series put together. You will be pleasantly surprised.

When I read WWH, the only tie-ins I picked up were Incredible Hercules, Iron Man, and X-Men.

The X-Men issues were great. WWH: X-Men #3 was the best X-issue I'd read in a long time.

i only have read the x-men issues (they were pretty good, but i expected more of a hulk/wolverine battle) and with ghost rider. the ghost rider issues were not bad, i especially liked "the ghost rider punishes only the guilty" or something like that, don't remember exactly.

WWH is fun, but not as good as Planet Hulk. None of the tie-ins are essential. The X-Men, Herc and Warbound tie-ins were good I thought. I skipped Frontline, so I have no comment on that.

Have the Warbound been seen since the end of WWH?

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corey W View Post
    Have the Warbound been seen since the end of WWH?
    They stayed in Gammaworld for a time, after the Warbound mini-series. Korg joined up with Banner and company for the "Fall of the Hulks" storyline and a few after that. The rest of the Warbound reappeared in the "Planet Savage" storyline, where they relocated to the Savage Land.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    They stayed in Gammaworld for a time, after the Warbound mini-series. Korg joined up with Banner and company for the "Fall of the Hulks" storyline and a few after that. The rest of the Warbound reappeared in the "Planet Savage" storyline, where they relocated to the Savage Land.
    Thanks. I love Korg and would love to see a Thor v. Korg rematch.