Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I try to look at things from a logical, objective standpoint. I can't say for sure that my beliefs aren't shaped by outside influences, but I at least try to be objective.

I consider myself a Democrat even though I think we'd be better off with no political parties at all. In general I agree with the Democratic platform on almost all issues.

My parents were Liberal by the standards of the Gernratin "real" FDR Democrats, Very liberal on race, gender and sexuality and sided with the republicans fiscally for the most part

I follow that Democratic party line for most things except gun control, defense and my radical belief that affirmative action should be based on income and opportunities not race and used to the bare minimum necessary.

Both hard line progressives and hard line conservatives tend to come of as nuts to me.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    Do you belong to the same party as your parents?
    I "assume" my parents vote for the Conservatives. I don't know, because we never talk about who we vote for; that's a private thing. Based on what we DO talk about in regards to politics, I assume we share the same political opinions; mine being more liberalised/idealistic due to my age.

Do you fit with the majority of voters in your district?
    Not sure, I live in London now; so we have pretty much all kinds of politics in every area.

Do you fit in with your party's national platform?(In general)
    I guess. White middle-class male, religious, private education, believing in hard work and getting back what you put into a country.

Is there any major issue that your stance is different from the rest of your beliefs? Do you know why your different on this issue?
    No. I would say "as a gay man..." but think those who perceive the Conservative party as homophobic is based out of ignorance. I really like David Cameron; so I'm happy he's PM right now.

Why do you believe what your believe?
    It always seems to make sense to me; as in "yes, this IS what people should believe." My family always went in for debates (political or otherwise) round the dinner table; you always had to defend your opinions with good debate, and research. So while my parents are Conservative, I'm also an actor and gay; and NONE of them ever had a problem with it. My sister votes Lib Dem (black sheep... mwhahahaha); but I'm the only religious member of my family. So it's not like there is a "mold" we all believe in. I do believe in hard work, and working hard for what you want. I DON'T believe in endless benefits, nor hand outs. The doll should be there to catch you when you fall, NOT prop you up for the rest of your lazy life. Since I'm in Britain, obviously I'm all okay with abortion and gay marriage; and overall I think society, as a whole, is lovely; with lovely people in all walks of life. I'm quite a positive Tory actor.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Yes, though being an African American, raised by a primarily female family, with strong union roots, and ties to LBGT community, my options have primarily been limited to being a democrat, or just voting against republicans. Same goes with the rest of my family.

More or less, If I had to guess I'd say I'm slightly to the left of my community, though this is a primarily blue district. I move around a lot so it's hard for me to judge a community after a couple years.

I'm more a democrat by necessity rather than choice, the general fault of the two party system. As a result I find the democrats rather unsatisfying and often more conservative than my own views.

Is there any major issue that your stance is different from the rest of your beliefs? Do you know why your different on this issue?
    I can't think of one offhand that stands out in contrast to the rest of my views.

When one party seems to be driven restrict the rights of people I care for on a variety of issues it puts me neatly in opposition to them. Granted for the most part this strictly revolves around social issues, rather than Economic, but too often this is the focus of American politics.
    Liked Deadpool before it was cool...

The Vicious Cabaret RickThunderclees's Avatar

Lately I have been thinking more about why I am democrat and on some issues lot more liberal than the people in my local area. Is it how I was raise? The way my mind works? My life experience? all of the above? So been wondering if what make people believe what they believe.

Both of my parents are/were middle-class and are democrats. Raised by democrats, I quickly took to their views. Now, as an independent, I consider myself VERY moderate. Ask a conservative, and I'm liberal. Ask a democrat, and I'm conservative.

I live in a rural area. Save for a few college towns, the majority of the populous is very conservative

This is why I'm independent.

Not particularly. I find myself being financially conservative but socially liberal. Not to say that I don't believe in social programs or aid. But working within this system for a while has pushed me to be more conservative when it comes to these programs

Easy. My parents :)
    That pretty much answers everything. When it comes down to it, I truly do believe that 9 out of every 10 people choose the political affiliation of their parents. ESPECIALLY if the child gets along with her family. If there is discord within the family, typically there will be polarization when it comes to political views, etc.
    Last edited by RickThunderclees; 04-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    "For relaxing times, make it Suntory time”

- Bob Harris

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I dunno. From my experience I think it tends to be more even-- like a third are similar, a third are different, and a third don't care. And of course, a third mixed in with the others that are from polar opposing parents.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I am registered Republican, mostly because the most important politics is local, and voting in the Republican primary gives me a say in who's actually elected. My parents are also Republicans. I don't like a lot of what's happening with the national Republican party, but I doubt I'll ever be able to bring myself to accept being called a Democrat. The Democrats seem almost completely ineffectual at governing anyways. A Republican that votes against the party line once every twenty votes is a "maverick"; a Democrat who votes against their party half the time is just another Democrat. The Democratic Party just lacks credibility.

I'd still call myself a conservative, but I see very little evidence of conservatism in contemporary right wing politics. There are too many litmus tests, too many my-way-or-the-highway bullet points.

I do believe in balancing the budget, but have no issue with raising taxes: gotta be one or another. We spend too much on the military, largely because we've allowed the Israelis to fool us into being their cat's paw in the Middle East. Stopping the bleeding there would fix most of the budget problems.

But I am strongly socially liberal. I am pro-choice. I think the idea of "Second Amendment rights" is nonsense, but that most gun control measures that could ever be enacted do so little that they aren't worth the bother. So I guess I don't go along with a lot of the current Republican platform.

I think we should put evolution to work for us by sterilizing people who "don't believe in evolution." Eugenics was a good idea, actually. I say we should reduce prison population by offering substantial sentence reductions for prisoners who get their tubes tied. Stop crime where it starts. This is probably not a popular idea.

Global warming? I think it's happening. I think human activity is to blame. I am not convinced that any elaborate scheme to control carbon emissions will do enough to make a lick of difference; at this stage anything that did enough to have an effect would collapse the industrial economy, and anything people could actually be persuaded to do would be not worth the bother. We'd be better off thinking about preparing for what we can't avoid.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post

But I am strongly socially liberal. I am pro-choice. I think the idea of "Second Amendment rights" is nonsense, but that most gun control measures that could ever be enacted do so little that they aren't worth the bother. So I guess I don't go along with a lot of the current Republican platform.

I think we should put evolution to work for us by sterilizing people who "don't believe in evolution." Eugenics was a good idea, actually. I say we should reduce prison population by offering substantial sentence reductions for prisoners who get their tubes tied. Stop crime where it starts. This is probably not a popular idea.
    i know we're probably not supposed to question or point out someone's post in this specific thread but i have to ask, does crime start in a woman's womb? and in this plan, why are the women being sterilized while the men are left untouched? still hoping this is bit is satire.

It is by definition impossible to be pro-eugenics and "socially liberal".
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i know we're probably not supposed to question or point out someone's post in this specific thread but i have to ask, does crime start in a woman's womb? and in this plan, why are the women being sterilized while the men are left untouched? still hoping this is bit is satire.
    While "tubes tied" is a phrase that has pretty clearly meant a woman's fallopian tubes, the procedure for men often requires much the same procedure: A crimping of the vas deferens (seminal tubes), similar to tying off, or cutting the tubes, and then tying the ends off after cutting them.

Just a thought.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    While "tubes tied" is a phrase that has pretty clearly meant a woman's fallopian tubes, the procedure for men often requires much the same procedure: A crimping of the vas deferens (seminal tubes), similar to tying off, or cutting the tubes, and then tying the ends off after cutting them.

Just a thought.
    So he's not sexist, he's just ignorant.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Lately I have been thinking more about why I am democrat and on some issues lot more liberal than the people in my local area. Is it how I was raise? The way my mind works? My life experience? all of the above? So been wondering if what make people believe what they believe.

1. yes

2. not sure

3. For the most part I guess if we are just speaking generally

4. Kind of confused by what your asking here. Off the top of my head, no I guess but if you gave me a specific example maybe

5. I believe what I believe cause it seems logical given what I know and what I've learned and observed through my experience, and I believe in things being fair, just and all around moral

Do you belong to the same party as your parents? Yes, except that my dad was a Republican from 1988 to 2007. He returned to the Democratic Party in 2008.

Do you fit with the majority of voters in your district? Yes, but that wasn't true of the district where I grew up.

Do you fit in with your party's national platform?(In general) Often but not always.

Is there any major issue that your stance is different from the rest of your beliefs? Do you know why your different on this issue? I'm pro-death penalty, because I think that a few criminals are definitely guilty of horrible crimes, and I don't see a point in wasting money on them. I'm also in favor of greater fiscal responsibility than the Democrats usually demonstrate, because I'm an accountant. And unlike our President, I want our troops out of Afghanistan immediately, because we are wasting human lives and lots of money without accomplishing anything.

Why do you believe what your believe? I'm an atheist, so I can believe whatever I want. I want a government that efficiently provides things that can't reasonably be handled by corporations or individuals, like national defense and a decent highway system. I also want a government that protects certain basic human rights and doesn't interfere unreasonably in personal matters, like religion or relationships.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post

Just a thought.
    okay, i'm being tied up by the phrase (no bad pun intended)

Nah, not really. I'm pretty much a candidate by candidate kind of person. I think one of the major problems in the U.S. is the person who walks right in voting both and punches the button next to the "R" or the "D" simply because it's an "R" or a "D."

I honestly have no idea what the majority of the people in my district are, as it seems so close from one year to the next. I'm assuming that they're leaning left anymore, but it wouldn't matter if they lean right, I'm pretty sure my philosophy doesn't fit any one single platform. So I'm also assuming that if the majority of people in my district are party-line types, then I definitely don't fit in.

My "party" was co-opted by a bunch of lunatics in the past decade or so. So, no.

That question also kind of makes the assumption of party-line thinking. As I have no party, my stance on various subjects is basically free association. I have some liberal beliefs and I have some conservative beliefs. And I'll vote for anyone that pays lips service to the largest share of those beliefs, be he an "R", "D", "I", "L", or "C".

Because I'm pretty convinced it's the best thing for America. I can be convinced otherwise, and it's happened. But not recently, and not by any foaming at the mouth rhetoric spewing pundit of either stripe.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.