Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post
    I'm buying 'em now, too! I had to get 1 and 2 in softcover because the hardbacks where already OOP, but I've been quick to buy the subsequent ones close to the release dates for the hardcovers.
    I finally tracked down volume 2 in hardcover and bought it for a very good price. But the really tough one is going to be volume 1.

UPDATE: Or not! Just got an email from a second hand bookstore that's tracked it down in new condition, and they're selling for less than the recommended retail price! Now I just gotta get volume 11...
    Last edited by Middenway; 05-03-2012 at 06:48 AM.

^The image of Asterix and Obelix when you line up all the spines will match up perfectly!

Damn. I jinxed it. Got a whole lot of emails with various reasons as to why each place thought they had these books, but do not.

That's always sad, I found some decently priced copies of the Tintin stories you recommended and am now awaiting their arrival. I love tax return time, it gives me much more spending money.

According to a study as published in The Lancet in 1999, (Thierry Appelboom & Julien Struyven: "Medical imaging of the Peruvian mummy Rascar Capac") Hergé drew his mummy faithfully after an actual mummy as excavated from the America's (Peru apparently) and displayed at a Brussels museum in his time. With Brussels being Hergé's hometown of course.

More than once I've come across South American type of mummy references without Hergé getting referred to, references to mummies as not through embalming or wrapping but as by roping such remains tightly together into a sitting upright albeit slouched position, with hands placed in order to be supporting or solidifying the neck and head, giving such remains a more rather busy or either frantic appearance instead of restful.

So besides it being a comic book reference, I'd say the mummy depiction or either any of the artifacts or historical references found in either Hellboy or the B.P.R.D., may refer to famous historic museal or scientific actual finds dating from Victorian times or either whenever.

The slab the military dude is holding seems familiar, as does the Phoenixy Phoenician-y sfinxy winged action figure, or either the especially dogeared Moai statue for example.

Mignola's Hellboy-related works will likely be notorious for being so richly and profoundly referencing historical lore throughout, I'd be to think. In a sense of which readers may or may not be aware, which I think is very cool.

Needless to say won't only 'science fiction' or either but boring educational books be laden with the power of potentially seeming factually realistical or 'correct' - since literally any book or piece of fiction will have that. Even the most unscrutinous fairy-tales or ghost stories, Santa Claus or be it The Little Engine That Could, any such is produced or offered as being truely realistical in its own way.
    Itsy Bitsy Spider didn't have it easy for a matter of fact, but did such manage to be keeping Itsy down? Getting wet doesn't kill and neither do waterspouts, ordinarily, anybody knowing such may be capable of accomplishing everything.
    Although pulling off being nifty or cool about anything at all will be a feat of but the buffest proportions I'd feel .
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    The slab the military dude is holding seems familiar
    I thought so too. I know I've seen the other things in various places, but I couldn't figure out where I saw that slab. Is it something we've seen in Hellboy before?

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I thought so too. I know I've seen the other things in various places, but I couldn't figure out where I saw that slab. Is it something we've seen in Hellboy before?
    Well, I seem to remember that Abe Sapien has been gotten called or referenced towards as "son of Dagon".
    And the fishy dude on the slab resembles how at one time this character 'Dagon' or 'Dagan' got depicted as on some relic, being an Assyric / Phoenician / Sumer / Canaanite (old) God (like Zeus or Hades or Neptune) as head of the Middle-Eastern pantheon team (although as seeming even more old-school than any Zeus or Hades, this Dagon seems more potentially forbidden or pissy somehow. Seeming no surprise with them kinda pants).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Dagon1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	92818

So apparently also way back, before any bibles or either Sci-Fi let alone Lovecraft, folks could be digging fishy steampunky stuff as much as the next guy already you could think. I bet they would have liked metal too quite a bit . Not Lovecraft 'though, I bet he would complain frantically over any loud music or hairyness. High-strung both as pitched. I don't know why.

And for earlier Dagon references Hellboy-wise I'd think it likely it would be something-a-do with Abe?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-04-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: pic
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Hopefully my luck is changing. The second Asterix Omnibus arrived today and the first is on its way!