Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tintin Tribute in Abe Sapien

I was reading The Abyssal Plain last night when I saw this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IncaMummy.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	92488
    Which looks quite a bit like the mummy of "He Who Unleashes the Fire of Heaven," Rascar Capac.

I always appreciate a good Tintin reference.
    Last edited by Middenway; 04-27-2012 at 11:22 PM.

You've got some sharp eyes there!

Ha, that's pretty awesome! Tin Tin is one of those comics I always mean to get into but never manage to pick up. I liked the cartoon as a kid and I loved the movie so I hope I'll get around to actually reading it one of these days.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Wow. Good eye, Middenway!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Ha, that's pretty awesome! Tin Tin is one of those comics I always mean to get into but never manage to pick up. I liked the cartoon as a kid and I loved the movie so I hope I'll get around to actually reading it one of these days.
    I've never read or seen any of the TinTin stuff, but I've got a good friend who's super into it. Been meaning to remedy my lack of knowledge on the character/subject. Think I'll do that tonight!
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. Wormwood View Post
    Wow. Good eye, Middenway!

I've never read or seen any of the TinTin stuff, but I've got a good friend who's super into it. Been meaning to remedy my lack of knowledge on the character/subject. Think I'll do that tonight!
    As I said, I've never read any of the books but I can't recommend the movie enough. It has that almost magical 80's Spielberg feel to it that just makes you smile to see it.

I forgot how unfamiliar Tintin is to Americans! The mummy of Rascar Capac is from the two-part story The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun. And its damn good.

Yeah, he's a rarity here. Other than an obscure cartoon that aired on HBO in the early 90's and the recent film I don't think he's had much exposure over here at all.

It's hard to imagine. Tintin and Asterix are practically required reading in primary school. Most Australians are far more likely to have read them than any Marvel or DC characters (Yes, even Batman).

BANNED

I disagree. we used to read Tin Tin in elementary school all the time.
    I am 32, so maybe that isn't the case anymore, but it was then.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I disagree. we used to read Tin Tin in elementary school all the time.
    I am 32, so maybe that isn't the case anymore, but it was then.
    You're lucky then. Most Americans I've spoken to seem to confuse Tintin with Rin Tin Tin (or if they do recognise the comic, they think Snowy is Tintin). I've never understood why most Americans write "Tin Tin" or "TinTin" instead of "Tintin" either. It's written like any other name, as one word with a single capital at the beginning. (Keep in mind, this is coming from a huge Tintin fan though)

I can't recommend Tintin enough, though it's probably better if you grew up with it. And Asterix is pretty damn awesome too, especially the first 24 when René Goscinny was writing them.

I've read a couple of Tintin albums and, although I liked them, they didn't... grab me, you know? Should give them another short.

Love Asterix, though.

I just started collecting the Asterix omnibuses with the restored artwork. They're really brilliant, though unfortunately the hardcovers are already out of print. It's madness. Omnibuses belong in hardcover, not paperback.

I'm buying 'em now, too! I had to get 1 and 2 in softcover because the hardbacks where already OOP, but I've been quick to buy the subsequent ones close to the release dates for the hardcovers.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Ah, appreciate the correction on the spelling of Tintin :) That fore-mentioned friend of mine is letting my borrow his collection. Looking forward to getting into these!

And I will have to look into Asterix as well.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post
    I'm buying 'em now, too! I had to get 1 and 2 in softcover because the hardbacks where already OOP, but I've been quick to buy the subsequent ones close to the release dates for the hardcovers.
    I'm rather stubbornly trying to find volumes 1, 2 and 11 despite being out-of-print, but it looks like 11 (which was oddly the first one printed back in 2007) is unobtainable. It's a minimum of $999 just to get a used copy. O__O Still, the paperbacks aren't going anywhere, so I'll hold out a while longer. But omnibuses are not meant to be paperbacks. I don't know what Orion was thinking. Beautiful editions like these should be in hardcover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jr. Wormwood View Post
    Ah, appreciate the correction on the spelling of Tintin :)
    I'm glad. I felt like a bit of an ass mentioning it though. I'll be interested to hear what you think of both Tintin and Asterix.
    Last edited by Middenway; 05-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.