Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Its already been released in the U.K. and Australia.
    and most of europe as well

I thought it was a pretty awesome film, but definitely not perfect. As previous posters have mentioned, Cap's new costume doesn't really work (the one in the solo film is miles cooler!) and I would've preferred Norton over Ruffalo.

Also is it just me or were there a tad bit too many comedic moments in the movie?
    Bring back Ultimate Doctor Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ninja View Post
    perhaps I need to repeat myself. In the kingdom of Saudi Arabia cinemas are illegal, prohibited, the cause of riots, there is in no way any capacity for me to see this film in a cinema, or pay to watch it, you may as well comPlain if astronauts watched the film.

Anyway for me The film occupies the uncanny valley it looks like ultimates but it's 616 at its core
    In that case I take back the harshness of my statement but still feel that it was possibly the quality of the copy you watched that didn't help you enjoy it.

EDIT: I like to think that the UK got Avengers early because we had to wait another 3 monhs after America to see the Muppet movie. Karma!

Also i absolutely loved Ruffalo. He is a brilliant Banner. Just look at his posture, how he uses his hands, his tone of voice. He's caught the banner I imagine brilliantly!
    Last edited by Morentez; 04-29-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUrich'sFlamingSword View Post
    Aaah, I failed to consider that. I wonder why there wouldn't just be a hard release date all around the world, though.
    Release dates have been tweaked to take advantage of local holidays.

I don't get the opening Poster at all. Did he think this was an Ultimates movie? I mean its not called "The Ultimates" or even "Ultimate Avengers" its "The Avengers". Did he listen to the morons who keep proclaiming the MCU films "Based on the Ultimates" because of some superficial similarities and expect an Ultimates Movie?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ronin View Post
    I don't get the opening Poster at all. Did he think this was an Ultimates movie? I mean its not called "The Ultimates" or even "Ultimate Avengers" its "The Avengers". Did he listen to the morons who keep proclaiming the MCU films "Based on the Ultimates" because of some superficial similarities and expect an Ultimates Movie?
    They've always been a hybrid. Look at Fury, hawkeye, Tony being a happy drunk, Hulk being linked to the Super Soldier formula, there's a lot of Ultimate there.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizicks View Post
    As previous posters have mentioned, Cap's new costume doesn't really work (the one in the solo film is miles cooler!)
    I agree, but with a movie of this quality that's just a minor detail for me.

and I would've preferred Norton over Ruffalo.
    Norton did a fantastic job in his movie, but I don't know if he necessarily would've been as good in this movie. I had my doubts about Ruffalo at first (that is, before seeing the movie), but I thought he did a damn fine job.

Also is it just me or were there a tad bit too many comedic moments in the movie?
    I thought the only one that was a bit much was when spoilers:
    Hulk punched Thor out of nowhere.
    end of spoilers But again, a very minor quibble.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    They've always been a hybrid. Look at Fury, hawkeye, Tony being a happy drunk, Hulk being linked to the Super Soldier formula, there's a lot of Ultimate there.
    And when you have such a wealth and variety of source material to choose from, it would be foolish to limit yourself to just one interpretation.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I thought the only one that was a bit much was when spoilers:
    Hulk punched Thor out of nowhere.
    end of spoilers But again, a very minor quibble.
    spoilers:
    I think that was revenge for Thor punching the hell out of Hulk on the helicarrier? Hulk doesn't like when people can go toe to toe with him. HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS!
    end of spoilers

I don't get these complaints. Of course the film borrows from the Ultimates since the Ultimates is a modern re-interpretation of the Avengers and feels a little more inter-connected and grounded. The film obviously has to stay true to the original series which I think it did very well. The Chitauri was just a wink to Ultimates fans. Whedon did not have time to establish the whole Skrull Empire and shift shaping idea so he just decided to create an alien army and named them after the villains in the Ultimates.

Sure, it doesn't really go into the whys of Loki's invasion but the motivation lies within Thor as another poster said. This film was really better than I expected. Also, surprisingly hilarious.

The best part of the film was definitely Hulk vs Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    spoilers:
    I think that was revenge for Thor punching the hell out of Hulk on the helicarrier? Hulk doesn't like when people can go toe to toe with him. HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS!
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, that's how I interpreted it. It also explains why spoilers:
    Hulk caught Tony, because as Banner, he and Tony got on really well, while Hulk and Thor did not
    end of spoilers I'm also willing to overlook it because it was hilarious XD

spoilers:
    "That man is playing Galaga!...Thought we wouldn't notice"
    end of spoilers

Really there are only tiny handful of criticisms I'd level at the film and those are: Cap didn't really get one absolutely breathtaking moment of awesome like all the others did, like one showstopper of a scene, though he did get plenty of good character moments. And also one that others have levelled at the film and that's Loki seems to become less dangerous as the film goes on. However, Hiddleston was fantastic in the role and considering that by the end spoilers:
    he'd lost his staff, basically the source of his power (I mean he didn't even try and fight Iron Man/ Cap/ Thor when Thor broke him out because he was without it) it makes sense that he wouldn't be as much of a threat. Also, his main objective was to unleash the Chitauri, so he wasn't really needed to direct them once they had been brought to Earth.
    end of spoilers

But those are very minimal complaints in the grand scheme of things.

British Student of Film

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUrich'sFlamingSword View Post
    Aaah, I failed to consider that. I wonder why there wouldn't just be a hard release date all around the world, though.
    I wonder that about almost everything to be honest! And I'm in the UK xD

@Holysock Yeah I think Loki's rage is explained well, albeit briefly in that talk with Thor. Thor likes Earth, so basically Loki wants to take it from him in revenge. It was never really about ruling (as stated in "Thor" "I never wanted the throne" etc etc), more that a human changed Thor so that he didn't want to destroy Jotunheim and thus ultimately are responsible for his defeat in "Thor." Without that personality change, Thor would never have returned to Asgard, and if he had, he wouldn't have wanted to stop Loki because they would've wanted the same thing.

The Chitauri were Chitauri in name only. I know I shouldn't have expected too much, but I was a little bit disappointed we didn't get to see any shapeshifting. The whole film was amazing, though, so it doesn't matter.

Elder Member

Jesus christ...this film was perfection.