Default How far have you suspended disbelief

I'm asking this here in the independents forum because I assume you guys are the ones who read everything. If it's happened in Marvel or DC I've probably heard of it.

One of my favorite things about comics is suspension of disbelief. It's how you enjoy a story and identify with characters while allowing for things to happen that are completely impossible, or while allowing a character to act a way that's completely insane. It's the reason you can read a good comic about a guy with spider powers fighting various super villains modeled after a variety of wild animals and still and still see the events and characters as realistic and within reason.. and then read another issue of the same comic and complain about the writers adding story elements that make no sense, like a dead character coming back to life or something.

I'm looking for examples of GOOD comics where extreme suspension of disbelief was necessary. What comic did you read that had the most ridiculous plot, but was still a really good read?

I'm asking this because I'm looking for good reading material and I'm really in the mood for something I haven't read before. It can be something old or a series that's still going on, as long as it's different. Don't tell me something like alien zombies cause i've seen it before. If it has anthropomorphic zombie tigers or something that's what I want to hear about.

I read manga. Regularly. I'd be hard pressed to think of a series where suspension of disbelief is NOT required.

For example, I am currently reading through the Sailor Moon series as Kodansha releases their new translation/printing. Where to start? How about the fact that people can live on the moon just fine without the need for life support technology. They just breathe the atomosphere that isn't there! Or the fact that the main character uses her makeup compact to transform into a superhero. How about a pair of talking cats that are probably smarter than the lead character?

But it's still a really good read because the writer just rolls with it.

As for non-manga, I finally got around to reading Transmetropolitan recently. And there was a lot going on in that series where I just thought to myself "well series writer, OK if that's the world you are building then fine. But I am not drunk enough to have any idea where you are going with this." And yet it worked, because it was the only way a world could exist that could possibly contain the awesomeness that is Spider Jerusalem.

But yeah, if you are looking for extreme, WTF-grade, suspension of disbelief, try some manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_Fried View Post
    I read manga. Regularly. I'd be hard pressed to think of a series where suspension of disbelief is NOT required.
    On the other hand, manga can be more realistic than any other comic in the world. Try to find anything as remotely lifelike as the excellent The Walking Man by Jiro Taniguchi, for instance.