Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Chris Roberson On Creators' Rights, "iZombie" & "Memorial"

Chris Roberson spoke with CBR News about his public departure from DC Comics based in part on its treatment of Alan Moore, the cancellation of "iZombie," his creator-owned book "Memorial" and the ethics of comics.

Full article here.

So should we place the blame of DC Comics for losing this great writer or not ?

We're not really losing him. He's still got Elric: The Balance Lost at BOOM! and Memorial at IDW. Basically, iZombie is ending, and he doesn't want to work for DC anymore. It's not like he's leaving the industry altogether.

I know this is off the topic of the interview, but did Star Trek / Legion really bring Roberson more devoted followers? The last time I felt so let down by a miniseries was when DC/Wildstorm published a "Top Ten Season Two" without telling anyone that it was 5 issues of a 10-issue story whose second half they had no plans to publish (and still haven't!). Here, the dialogue sometimes didn't flow from one speaker to the next; the resolution was a deux ex machina (initiated by a great leap of logic by Spock that was just silly); and most of all, it was SLOW. I couldn't believe how little was happening (until the end, when literally nothing had happened).

I don't think its been spelled out clearly, but at this point DC is still going publish iZombi up through 28 I assume? So it will have been finished. But Robinson has been pulled from Fairest?

Default What a crock!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Chris Roberson spoke with CBR News about his public departure from DC Comics based in part on its treatment of Alan Moore, the cancellation of "iZombie," his creator-owned book "Memorial" and the ethics of comics.

Full article here.
    Chris Roberson needs to get with the program! Alan Moore, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Joe Simon, etc. All great creators but if their work was not expounded on, was not further explored, what would we have today? We need other creators to go in and discover new areas of characters that were never explored or thought out by the previous creator or creative teams.
    Roberson to me sounds like he can't commit to a position/job for very long without getting bored or he can't take constructive criticism from the people in authority over him (or authority in general). He needs to grow up and put his heart and soul into his creative experience or else eventually he's going to be one of those people you think to yourself, "Whatever happened to........".
    Last edited by Circleoffire; 04-27-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: misspell

I could have sworn I read an interview with Roberson stating that iZombie was not being canceled, but rather coming to its planned conclusion (like most Vertigo titles)...?

But I could be wrong.

Bouncin between Flint, MI and Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Circleoffire View Post
    Chris Roberson needs to get with the program! Alan Moore, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Joe Simon, etc. All great creators but if their work was not expounded on, was not further explored, what would we have today? We need other creators to go in and discover new areas of characters that were never explored or thought out by the previous creator or creative teams.
    This post has to be some kind of put on, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I could have sworn I read an interview with Roberson stating that iZombie was not being canceled, but rather coming to its planned conclusion (like most Vertigo titles)...?

But I could be wrong.
    He mentions in this interview that he had been expecting the title to be cancelled for awhile, and he always had an ending in mind that he could fit in within a few issues. He figured they might make it to issue 30, so losing two issues from that expected total didn't effect him that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Circleoffire View Post
    Roberson to me sounds like he can't commit to a position/job for very long without getting bored or he can't take constructive criticism from the people in authority over him (or authority in general). He needs to grow up and put his heart and soul into his creative experience or else eventually he's going to be one of those people you think to yourself, [...].
    Man, you sound like a really wise man. One feels that you studied Roberson's arguments quite a bit and analyzed it to the bone. The whole problem is about authority. That's the key. Why didn't I think about that before? One should be "grown up" and obey. That's the message. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    He mentions in this interview that he had been expecting the title to be cancelled for awhile, and he always had an ending in mind that he could fit in within a few issues. He figured they might make it to issue 30, so losing two issues from that expected total didn't effect him that much.
    I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of a panel announcement at a recent con (probably C2E2?).

I'm reading this interview and I see where he's coming from.....but what I'm struggling with here is that if creator rights and the actions of DC/Marvel over the last 20-30 years have been much on his mind for so long now....why did he ever join up with DC to begin with, let alone jump onboard with Superman, a property that has been subject to shoddy treatment of its creators and litigation in that regard.

He's so enmeshed with the issue of creator rights and it has held his interest for at least 20 years...yet he signs up to do work for DC, and not just any work, but Superman comics, of all things.

Frankly, I'm struggling to buy the argument that he suddenly had an epiphany/breaking point two months ago.

At the very least, he compromised his morals and principles already and, at worst, he did so to make a name for himself thanks to an in he got from his association with Willingham. Now that DC wasn't throwing any new work his way (he didn't get a series out of the nu52), his principles kick in and he starts banging the "creator rights" drum. It's very convenient. It's as though he compromised the principles he so proudly standing on now to get his name out there and become a more marketable, "known" creator....but now that DC wasn't giving him much new work, and perhaps he'd gotten as much mileage as he could out of DC, he gets righteous and burns a bridge.

I see where his opinions on DC and Marvel are coming from and in themselves, I respect them, but these are not new issues and, by his own admission, these are issues he has been well-acquainted with for years. That he bit his lip for a few years and wrote SUPERMAN of all things and took on work for DC at all undercuts the significance of his current stand for creator's rights against DC/Marvel/whatever.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Formerly GarbageMan

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    I'm reading this interview and I see where he's coming from.....but what I'm struggling with here is that if creator rights and the actions of DC/Marvel over the last 20-30 years have been much on his mind for so long now....why did he ever join up with DC to begin with, let alone jump onboard with Superman, a property that has been subject to shoddy treatment of its creators and litigation in that regard.

He's so enmeshed with the issue of creator rights and it has held his interest for at least 20 years...yet he signs up to do work for DC, and not just any work, but Superman comics, of all things.

Frankly, I'm struggling to buy the argument that he suddenly had an epiphany/breaking point two months ago.

At the very least, he compromised his morals and principles already and, at worst, he did so to make a name for himself thanks to an in he got from his association with Willingham. Now that DC wasn't throwing any new work his way (he didn't get a series out of the nu52), his principles kick in and he starts banging the "creator rights" drum. It's very convenient. It's as though he compromised the principles he so proudly standing on now to get his name out there and become a more marketable, "known" creator....but now that DC wasn't giving him much new work, and perhaps he'd gotten as much mileage as he could out of DC, he gets righteous and burns a bridge.

I see where his opinions on DC and Marvel are coming from and in themselves, I respect them, but these are not new issues and, by his own admission, these are issues he has been well-acquainted with for years. That he bit his lip for a few years and wrote SUPERMAN of all things and took on work for DC at all undercuts the significance of his current stand for creator's rights against DC/Marvel/whatever.
    The way i took it was....he was offered superman, he saw the pay, he took it. Now that his name is out there, now that he's known, he's betting he can survive a bit doing purely indie books.

It's hard, but I respect it and wish him luck. Indie is very very hard to do. Sometimes you gotta do what you don't want, like DC/Marvel, to to pay the bills and feed your kids.

creators have rights...if they do it all themselves

When you work with a publisher, get help from an editor, get promotion, etc... isn't that a 2 way street?

smh.

If Roberson is so awesome, he can continue to write "Memorial" and have it read by 5,500 people.

DC > and more important than one writer. European "moral rights" are irrelevant, lmao. this is Umerica
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Default Exactly right

[QUOTE=Trey;15079857]creators have rights...if they do it all themselves

When you work with a publisher, get help from an editor, get promotion, etc... isn't that a 2 way street?

smh.

If Roberson is so awesome, he can continue to write "Memorial" and have it read by 5,500 people.

DC > and more important than one writer. European "moral rights" are irrelevant, lmao. this is Umerica[/QUOTE

Exactly my point!