Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default 5-Star Review: "AVX: Vs" #1

James Hunt gives "AVX: VS" #1 5 stars saying of the issue, "the real joy is seeing the characters deploy their powers in interesting ways on an unusual stage, without any interruptions."

Full article here.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

So this gets a 5 star while Daredevil gets 1.5
    I'll let the gif say how I feel on this:
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    So this gets a 5 star while Daredevil gets 1.5
    I'll let the gif say how I feel on this:
    Ha. Couldn't agree more. This comic was shite and just an opportunity to have the X-men job to a couple of lame Avengers. The Master of Magnetism beaten by Iron Man? Namor defeated by the Thing...underwater!? Total crap.

5 stars is definitely overly generous but eh, it's just another review.

BANNED

Might as well kill off every X-Men but Wolverine...it's not like the public would notice they're gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Might as well kill off every X-Men but Wolverine...it's not like the public would notice they're gone...
    How much was Wolverine in this issue?

Also... ~CONSPIRACY!~
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

I know these things are based on opinion, but to give it a perfect score is to suggest this is an exemplary instance of what the genre can accomplish. This was hardly that.
    No kidding! And it didn't even deliver what he stated in the review:

It's completely brainless -- attention has been paid to character, motivation and dialogue -- but the real joy is in seeing the characters deploy their powers in interesting ways, on an unusual stage, without any interruption.

"AVX: VS" #1 is, in many ways, the comics equivalent of professional wrestling. There are big moments of drama. Memorable images. The occasional shot of dialogue that'll make you smile. But really, it's all about seeing who wins the fights, appreciating the techniques of the characters (and creators) and getting invested in the outcome even though it's of no material consequence. If you like that idea, then you're going to love this book. If you think it sounds stupid, then 5-star rating or not, you can comfortably skip it.
    All three things were sorely missing from the Namor and Thing fight. Nor was there anything to appreciate about the 'technique' of the characters or the creators. I couldn't even figure out that Namor had been KOed by a rock. At least I think that's what happened. Though, even worse, it would probably more like coral or a pumice, if it came off a hydrothermal vent.

The Iron Man / Magneto fight fell more inline with his review, but even there ... Magneto building a suit to engage in a fist fight? I don't know. Regardless, it wasn't a 5 star fight / story.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Quoted for truth.

AVX:VS does what is says on tin, big dumb fight.

Actually, it was billed as a big FUN fight and what we got was a big DUMB fight.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

I think most people have a problem with the outcomes.

Those fights were very tongue in cheek and very funny and very inconclusive (the issue pretty much made it clear).

I don't think this issue was made to be taken too seriously. God knows I didn't.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Those fights were very tongue in cheek and very funny and very inconclusive (the issue pretty much made it clear).

I don't think this issue was made to be taken too seriously. God knows I didn't.
    Yeah, Mags talking about concentration camps is very tongue in cheek.
    But, yes, it was very inconclusive how Namor suddenly passed out in the middle of the fight.
    Unless he took a dive on purpose of something.

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the humor in Namor saying, "I'd advise you to put that down." And Magneto repeatedly referencing his Holocaust past? That's supposed to be funny? Iron Man doing his RDJ impression, okay, that I can see some one saying was funny. I'd have loved for the Namor and Thing fight to be completely over the top, Looney Tunes fun. In fact, from the preview, that's sort of what I was expecting.

And of course lots of people have problems with the outcomes, when they deliver a 'believable' fight, within the unbelievable superhero context. Even people that don't like Namor think the outcome of that fight was bogus. Their fight should have moved out of the water, if they wanted Thing to win. And it would have been loads better for the banter, as in Thing and Namor could actually exchange verbal insults, instead of Namor feeding Thing all the lines for his mental 'jokes.'

But hey, if you and the reviewer thought it was the pinnacle of the comic art form worthy of 5 stars, that's fine. Ditto if you thought it was funny. I didn't.

EDIT: Wait. There was that glug glug glug translation of It's Clobbering Time, I assume. That was amusing.
    Last edited by Rheged; 04-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

I know these things are based on opinion, but to give it a perfect score is to suggest this is an exemplary instance of what the genre can accomplish. This was hardly that.

the dude flat out says he didn't agree with one of the fight outcome. I mean he could have fanboyed and take away a star

I can't believe I am actually anticipating Sabrewulf to come in a thread and do his usual thing
    I'd probably agree with him here

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I enjoyed the issue, but it was not better than Daredevil.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Man this some old bullshit.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.