Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default I want to thank Chris Claremont and John Byrne!

Not just for writing/drawing THE BEST RUN EVER on X-men, but also for the great work they did together on Marvel Team-Up decades ago.

I remembered John drawing some Marvel Team-Up books, but I only just realized recently, while re-reading the books, that Chris wrote some many of these great stories.

Dude really understood Peter Parker/Spidey, IMO.

Kudos, lads.

I agree, but I always felt that John Byrne was the more talented of the two, because I feel that Claremont's work post-Byrne was not that great and was at times god awful, but Byrne was able to do great things without Claremont.

I would rate Morrison and Whedon's X-men run over Byrne/Claremont personally.

Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    I agree, but I always felt that John Byrne was the more talented of the two, because I feel that Claremont's work post-Byrne was not that great and was at times god awful, but Byrne was able to do great things without Claremont.

That seems that way because Chris only did X-Men while Byrne went on to more "showy" assigments on FF and Superman. But Claremont did great stuff on X-Men without Byrne. Chris will always be the soul of the X-Men.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Wait what?
    Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Not just for writing/drawing THE BEST RUN EVER on X-men, but also for the great work they did together on Marvel Team-Up decades ago.

I remembered John drawing some Marvel Team-Up books, but I only just realized recently, while re-reading the books, that Chris wrote some many of these great stories.

Dude really understood Peter Parker/Spidey, IMO.

Kudos, lads.
    Don't forget Iron Fist. Two creators at the top of their game, who enjoyed a great chemistry, in a time where books could be written without so much interfearence from marketing and the business side of things. It really was a magical time to be a comicbook fan (actually, I was just getting started. My best years were still ahead of me, but I went back and read it all, and it WAS magical).

Peace

Claremont's run (with or without Byrne, though his Byrne stuff was certainly phenominal) was pretty impressive to me. He was on that book for like a decade and a half or something. And looking back, I'm amazed the book stayed so good for so long with a single guy in the drivers seat.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

I'm not old enough to have experienced their run together as it happened but Uncanny X-men #210 by just Claremont, my first ever X-men issue, is why I read comics today.

No disrespect to Byrne for all his contributions and great work he has done, but Spider-Man:Chapter One was really awful.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    No disrespect to Byrne for all his contributions and great work he has done, but Spider-Man:Chapter One was really awful.
    Everyone has their bad work. IMO Superman was his last great work.

However, Claremont was pretty terrible from Fall of Mutants until he left. John Byrne proved to me that he was able to do great things on his own.

Everyone has their bad work. IMO Superman was his last great work.

However, Claremont was pretty terrible from Fall of Mutants until he left. John Byrne proved to me that he was able to do great things on his own.

Byrne's Superman was THE Superman for me (that and the triangle era).

Claremont after Byrne was pretty inconsistent. Lot's of ups and downs. However, IMHO, the great moments surpassed the bad ones by miles. His collaboration with Jim Lee on Uncanny and those 3 first X-Men issues captued a lot of the magic of the Claremont/Byrne issues. IMHO, it was truely GREAT!

Peace

During the late '70s Claremont and Byrne were on fire. Uncanny X-Men, Marvel Team-Up, Iron Fist, Power Man and Iron Fist and my all time favorite:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fave4.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	92499

I kinda liked it myself.

I really am an Android Claret & Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonteMike72 View Post

I kinda liked it myself.
    AND hank Terry Austin , for making John Byrne's pencils really have that sleek look , the best no doubt
    http:\\blackadam-comics.ebid.net

you do know Morrison was CC's run abriged with even more tight leather pants, Right?
    Cyclops ad portas

I'm enjoying their run on MTU. Although I've always believed that their X-Men run is the best work by any creative team on any comic book title.

I don't know. I prefer God Loves, Man Kills (which Claremont did with Brent Anderson) over anything Byrne did solo. And I've enjoyed Byrne's work on Superman, Fantastic Four and Next Men.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?