Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default McFarlane Celebrates Twenty Years of "Spawn"

Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane spoke with CBR about the 20th Anniversary of "Spawn," writing as Will Carlton, his plans for taking the comic digital and the future of his Hell-born character.

Full article here.

Loving those covers. I haven't read a Spawn book since David Hine wrote it. I'll probably get this 220th issue, though which cover.........?

The digital comic thing sounds cool. If it ever happens.
    The new Spawn movie sounds cool. If it ever happens.
    The Haunt TV show sounds cool. If it ever happens.

*sigh*

enjoying the book though! :D

Picture Book Liker

God, I would love to sell my Spawn issues #1-75. For cheap.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Jupiter's Legacy, Mighty Avengers, Saga, Superior Spider-Man & Superior Foes (Bye: Fearless Defenders & Young Avengers)

Will Carlton is a great reference to Fresh Prince.

Ok, so McFarlane is Will Carlton? He says he just is having a little fun to make a point. Sorry, but it sounds like he's making a dumb choice to mind f*** everyone so he can have a laugh. Not sure how I feel about this, but it does rub me the wrong way.

I'll say this: I was reading the book when it was "written" by Todd. When Will came on, I dumped it and haven't read it since.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Too bad, Endgame sucked. It got a lot better after 200... Despite it still being Todd :/

Spawn going digital Now maybe i wont have to wait a few weeks to read it when its out.

That Youngblood cover looks awesome!
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

20 years, huh? So is Spawn still standing around in alleys?

Great interview. Todd's always an entertaining guy, who loves to share his opinions of and experiences in the business.

As a reader of Spawn since #1, I can say that the book hasn't been as good as it is right now in some time. The current team are certainly doing the character and legacy of Spawn justice, and I'm glad that Todd's happy with how things have been going and plans to keep his team intact for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    20 years, huh? So is Spawn still standing around in alleys?
    Not really. Jim's whole shtick is that hes something of a celebrity and constantly in the public eye. Hes only really been to the alleys to learn about Al as exposition for new readers. Though last issue ended with Jim and Malbolgia having a showdown in the dead zone.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Shouldn't be hard. I sold my run of 1-60 on eBay a few years back and it went fast (sold for almost 100 bucks)

Quote Originally Posted by murch View Post
    Great interview. Todd's always an entertaining guy, who loves to share his opinions of and experiences in the business.

As a reader of Spawn since #1, I can say that the book hasn't been as good as it is right now in some time. The current team are certainly doing the character and legacy of Spawn justice, and I'm glad that Todd's happy with how things have been going and plans to keep his team intact for the forseeable future.
    Yeah I would agree with that as a reader since issue #1 as well. Probably the last good story arc for me was the Armageddon arc. How that went and how it ended felt like the perfect way to end Spawn. The Hine and Haberlin run was okay, but I felt it was just filler especially with the constant milking of Mammon throughout most of their run. Endgame happened and it rather sucked in the long run. A whole lot of setup and not a lot of answers. Since 201, its been great again. Jim has been rooted firmly in the Spawn mythos well that it actually helps flesh out past villains and see them in a new light. I think this will be most beneficial when Tremor comes back full force. He's always been that character that not a lot was done with, but since new information has come up in recent issues between Jim's relationship with Tremor, now Tremor will be more involved than ever before.

My sole worry is that I hope with it being a celebratory issue, we don't get another issue 200 because that was dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    It's possible. Just don't price the set higher than a 12-pack of Scott Tissue 1000-sheet rolls at Walmart.

Kidding! Humor, people. You could easily offload that stack on eBay, and probably get at least a few bucks if they didn't mind your advertising it here on the CBR forum. Alas, they frown on the sale of secondhand items here.