Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't say it is necessary, per se. But, as Dr. Hurt mentions, TKJ is huge, so I can see why they might want to keep it. Moreover, maybe they thought this was a good way of removing Damocles' sword, by addressing it, rather than ignore it.
    who are "they"?
    it was only Gail who wanted to keep TKJ and only for the wrong reasons
    DC wanted a full retcon just cause they wanted Barb as Batgirl

The character of Barbara is not the focus of the story, but I'd argue she is the focal point of the whole thing. Take her completely out of TKJ, and what are you left with? Torturing Jim with pictures of a random girl isn't going to have as much impact.
    on contrast to taking away Jim being tortured (or even being in the room) and Joker's real origin and motivation(it wasnt vengeance) like how it was retconed(destroyed) here

even without Barb it would had been a better version
    Last edited by ArnoldoAAD; 05-01-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    The character of Barbara is not the focus of the story, but I'd argue she is the focal point of the whole thing. Take her completely out of TKJ, and what are you left with? Torturing Jim with pictures of a random girl isn't going to have as much impact.
    That doesn't make her a focal point. Yes, she has a personal link to both Commissioner Gordon and Batman, but she's just shot, and that's it. That's all. Again, I'm not denying she is a fairly vital piece of the story, but she's not even a top-tier character in TKJ. So Simone attempting to put focus on Barbara like the story was about her just doesn't work. Yes, she was drastically affected by TKJ, but she's in.. What, four or five pages? It was a violent and brutal incident, and her returning from that and shining again was already done once, way better than it's being done now.

As such, there's still no need for TKJ to be remotely involved anymore. It's just lazy storytelling and relying on a twenty-year old story as a crutch, just like any number of Batman/Joker stories in TKJ's wake. It would have been much better to just ignore it, even if it was something of a elephant in the room; Look at how Steph's series ignored the issue of her having a baby, and only dealing lightly with the issues surrounding War Games. That definitely worked to her benefit.