Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    .......How has no one said the water bear yet? It's usually an early contender in these setups due to it taking talent points in the "holy hell how do I actually permanently kill this goddamn thing" tree.
    I had thought of it, but opted out of it for the not insignificant detail that usually gets left out:the only way they survive most of the conditions they do is to put themselves into a coma. That's right. You get the powers of the water bear, you can survive anything, but only if you put yourself in stasis. Now, if you want to just skip your way through the years to semi-extend your life span, by all means. But you're not surviving Antarctica in a tee-shirt and shorts, walking about and whistling merrily. Your surviving it by digging yourself a hole and sleeping in it until someone digs you back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    The Mants shrimp enhances it's punches. The Pistol shrimp produces a much larger shockwave by snapping it's "fingers".
    So what? It's still a super punch and more than enough to get the job done, and it comes with hyper vision. You're kind of missing what I'm going for here.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 04-27-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    That'll be at the End of the Omniverse. As it's not the End of the Omniverse, yet, he's still around. QED.
    Ah, but the fact that the Restaurant exists now says otherwise. :P

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I had thought of it, but opted out of it for the not insignificant detail that usually gets left out:the only way they survive most of the conditions they do is to put themselves into a coma. That's right. You get the powers of the water bear, you can survive anything, but only if you put yourself in stasis. Now, if you want to just skip your way through the years to semi-extend your life span, by all means. But you're not surviving Antarctica in a tee-shirt and shorts, walking about and whistling merrily. Your surviving it by digging yourself a hole and sleeping in it until someone digs you back out.
    Hey, if "scaling up" is an explanation for pistol shrimp cavitation bubble actually producing discernible heat and light...

I'm a bit divided between waterbear and flea. On one hand I like the idea of being almost impossible to kill. On the other, the ability to jump 4000 meters + being surperhumanly durable would also be pretty sweet.

I wonder how strong waterbears are in proportion to their size?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I think I'd take a Peregrine Falcon - one of the the fastest of birds, capable of flight at something close to 200mph in bursts. But I want that for a much more practical reason than mere speed - no more traffic jams, EVER.
    Actually, they are considered to be the fastest animal on Earth period. Though, saying they move in bursts of 200 mph is kinda misleading - it's actually a hunting manouvre called a stoop, in which the falcon dives from a high altitude, essentially flying downwards.

It's not something you can use to get around fast; least not in any other direction then down.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

When the two Meet... The MunchKING's Avatar
    The Barracks Of the Paladins of The Eastern Order

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Actually, they are considered to be the fastest animal on Earth period. Though, saying they move in bursts of 200 mph is kinda misleading - it's actually a hunting manouvre called a stoop, in which the falcon dives from a high altitude, essentially flying downwards.

It's not something you can use to get around fast; least not in any other direction then down.
    Like Hawkman or Hawkgirl ever worried about that. Comic book physics, natch.

Here's how tough I mean:
    Pressure – they can withstand the extremely low pressure of a vacuum and also very high pressures, more than 1,200 times atmospheric pressure. Tardigrades can survive the vacuum of open space and solar radiation combined for at least 10 days. Some species can also withstand pressure of 6,000 atmospheres, which is nearly six times the pressure of water in the deepest ocean trench, the Mariana trench
    Better than that.

From Wiki about the Tardigrade:

Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of close to absolute zero (−273 °C (−459 °F)), temperatures as high as 151 °C (304 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals, and almost a decade without water. Since 2007, tardigrades have also returned alive from studies in which they have been exposed to the vacuum of outer space for a few days in low earth orbit.
    Pressure – they can withstand the extremely low pressure of a vacuum and also very high pressures, more than 1,200 times atmospheric pressure. Tardigrades can survive the vacuum of open space and solar radiation combined for at least 10 days. Some species can also withstand pressure of 6,000 atmospheres, which is nearly six times the pressure of water in the deepest ocean trench, the Mariana trench.
    Environmental toxins – tardigrades can undergo chemobiosis—a cryptobiotic response to high levels of environmental toxins.

Veteran Membah Forgotten Entity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    The Mants shrimp enhances it's punches. The Pistol shrimp produces a much larger shockwave by snapping it's "fingers".
    Do you plan on changing your name to Roy Mustang?

Someone already made that FMA joke FE. Not one of my favorites.

I'm thinking of changing mine to a turtle. Not a lot of powers, but I dig the life extension thing. If there's any animals that can get older, they'd be contenders.

Other than that, maybe something with a RL healing factor.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Well...if you want to be tentacle about the whole extended lifespan deal.....then we have this one:
    ~Turritopsis nutricula.

It can revert to a polyp after reaching sexual maturity.
    Theoretically, this process can go on indefinitely, effectively rendering the jellyfish biologically immortal
    From the description to it ......you'd turn back into a.....just what do we consider a human form of a polyp?
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

From the description to it ......you'd turn back into a.....just what do we consider a human form of a polyp?
    Well, going purely by the word... Not something you would want to turn into.

More seriously, humans just plain don't have a larval state that they metamorphose from.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

The closest thing I came to when I was trying to decide was an embryo.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Entity View Post
    And luckily, due to the hyper-advanced tech required to do so, you look perfectly human!

Aye, just Spiderman appears human but can shoot webs from his wrists, you look perfectly human and simply gain all of the abilities of an animal.

You must choose this animal. You are restricted to currently living animals.

As a bonus, you get to do the reverse to the animal of your choosing (granting the animal human intelligence) and gain it as a pet.

Which do you choose?
    Did some one watch The Big Bang Theory this week...?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Entity View Post
    Which do you choose?
    It's a shame.... insects are the only real way to get the most bang for your buck because of the proportional increase deal.

Yet... mammals and reptiles are soooooo much cooler. *sigh*

I'd go with the humble cockroach........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz05k6cPi3s

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Spirit View Post
    It's a shame.... insects are the only real way to get the most bang for your buck because of the proportional increase deal.

Yet... mammals and reptiles are soooooo much cooler. *sigh*
    Pick the skills of a Ninja. Proportionately you'll get more kill per pound than anything else on the planet
    Armored Frame Division #27: Starlancer Flight - Roland Vance Xel'Tais