Thread: Dota 2?

Default Dota 2?

Hello all,

So I've been looking into DOTA 2 for awhile now. Looks really fun to play, also much better graphics and detailed more over than League of Legends. Does anyone know when it is coming out? I heard early this year and still nothing. Looks like it is still under going private beta. There website doesn't tell much of it but them holding tournaments and information about the champions being released or already out. Can anyone shed some light on this game?

Thanks!
    Keep Moving Forward.

SHSO ID: Shadow Cool Librarian
    XBox Live: StaringPandora6

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoniz View Post
    Hello all,

So I've been looking into DOTA 2 for awhile now. Looks really fun to play, also much better graphics and detailed more over than League of Legends. Does anyone know when it is coming out? I heard early this year and still nothing. Looks like it is still under going private beta. There website doesn't tell much of it but them holding tournaments and information about the champions being released or already out. Can anyone shed some light on this game?

Thanks!
    I know theres some legal issue ongoing because Blizzard is saying they own the name Dota since it was a Warcraft 3 mod, and while they didn't make it, it was made using their tools and hosted on their servers, so that's an issue.

I've played about 15 games of DOTA2. Pretty much a more advanced version of League of Legends. More complex jungle system. Special shops are spread out the map. Even get a animal that will carry items too you. Still needs work though the bots are buggy.
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

Anothing catching point is that since Dota was a WoW mod then when people think of it they think its blizzard by association and that affects their business, and if memory serves me right the guy who brought Dota 2 to Valve was once a Blizzard employee.

Its kind of like how Marvel will sue any comic book that uses "Marvel" or "Mavelous" in its title (even "The Mavelous Magnet Man!") because they say that if a customer sees the word Marvel on the cover they automatically assume its a Marvel comic. Marvel has sued successfully over this consistently in the past so I don't really see Dota 2 getting a pass on this one.

Oh and Dota stands for "Defence of the Ancients" and the ancients are a wow reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeskies View Post
    Anothing catching point is that since Dota was a WoW mod then when people think of it they think its blizzard by association and that affects their business, and if memory serves me right the guy who brought Dota 2 to Valve was once a Blizzard employee.

Its kind of like how Marvel will sue any comic book that uses "Marvel" or "Mavelous" in its title (even "The Mavelous Magnet Man!") because they say that if a customer sees the word Marvel on the cover they automatically assume its a Marvel comic. Marvel has sued successfully over this consistently in the past so I don't really see Dota 2 getting a pass on this one.

Oh and Dota stands for "Defence of the Ancients" and the ancients are a wow reference.
    Could they just change the name?
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

They could change the name but they know the name is a draw. If they can manage to squeek it through legal then they are ahead of the game.