Default John Severin Checklist

I was just wondering if there is a John Severin checklist, other than the GCD. I'm specifically interested in his work for Cracked magazine.
    Rehab is for Quitters

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Note that I know of, unfortunately. A 2-volume history of Cracked, If You're Cracked You're Happy, came out awhile back, but whether it has any sort of artist or contents index, I have no idea. The author is a guy who definitely knows his way around humor comics from a scholarly standpoint, Mark Arnold, so there's a chance ...
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 04-26-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Squa Tront #11 has a comprehensive Severin checklist... not sure if it's any better than the gcd though. If you'd like I'd gladly scan the entries regarding Cracked for you. That is, if dan hasn't done it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla lives! View Post
    Squa Tront #11 has a comprehensive Severin checklist... not sure if it's any better than the gcd though. If you'd like I'd gladly scan the entries regarding Cracked for you. That is, if dan hasn't done it already.
    I do have that Squa Tront. I don't, however, have a scanner.

*sigh*
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Could you just look to see if Severin drew a parody of the television series "Route 66" for Cracked magazine between the years 1960-1964.

Thanks.
    Rehab is for Quitters

Eh... ya know, I'm looking at this list... and for Cracked it only mentions that he's in every issue. That is, from #1 (3/58) to 350 (12/00) inclusive, and that he did multiple covers as well.

I suppose he did so much material for the mag, that to give a detailed breakdown of it all would require a whole checklist of it's own. Well, on the bright side of things, I guess if you remember a Route 66 parody in Cracked that even remotely looked like Severin penciled it, in all likelihood it was.

Not much help I'm afraid, sorry ROK.
    Last edited by Drusilla lives!; 04-27-2012 at 08:35 PM.

That's OK, thanks for going to the trouble to look. I've never seen a R66 parody in Cracked I was just taking a shot in the dark. Unlike MAD magazine, I don't think anyone has ever done an extensive inventory of the contents of Cracked. I think copies of Cracked are more rare than Mad. Cracked probably didn't get distributed as widely as Mad.
    Rehab is for Quitters

Eh... ya know, I'm looking at this list... and for Cracked it only mentions that he's in every issue. That is, from #1 (3/58) to 350 (12/00) inclusive, and that he did multiple covers as well.
    Note to self: Expand already huge want list exponentially by adding Cracked #s 1-350. (I read it regularly & liked it as a kid, but these days I think the only issue I own is some monster-, or maybe superhero-, related special from the late '80s or early '90s.)

-- Reptisaurus!

ROK, speaking of Route#66 and MAD, you are probably aware that that magazine did parody the show in issue #70 from April 1962. Looks like they called it "Route #67".

Yep, and it's a good one too, by Mort Drucker. I found a copy of this issue about a year ago.
    Rehab is for Quitters

The Harveyville Fun Times

Mark Arnold here, the author of "If You're Cracked, You're Happy". There is a complete checklist of every issue of Cracked in the books. It doesn't break it down by artist, but by issue, but each artist and writer (if known) is mentioned. To my knowledge, Cracked never did a parody of Route 66. This is because Cracked didn't do many TV or movie parodies in the early 60s. If you want to know more about the contents of Mad, Cracked, Crazy, Sick, National Lampoon or virtually any other humor mag, feel free to contact me with your questions at funideas.mark@gmail.com

-Mark.

I couldn't find one.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Thanks. That answers my question.
    Rehab is for Quitters