Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Fair enough.

And yeah AvX is stupid as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Thanks for your kind words. No feedback?
    Feeback? Ok, here goes: You are wrong.

(more on the way)

... you're probably the only one who bothered.
    I doubt that, but it's easier to say "you're just a HATER" to the short posts.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    I disagree. Superheroes only fight all the time now, because today's writers only seem to be able to equate action with violence. And quite frankly, I think it is because many of them can't tell a compelling story. Instead they just write set ups-for fights.

Look at the following clips...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9QQDLkIuc8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtds...feature=fvwrel

Do they portray a superhero?
    Does he even hit one person?
    Is it fun? exciting? colorful? super? heroic?
    In the first (and best) Superman movie, who does he physically fight?

I don't claim that superheroes shouldn't ever engage is physical combat. Just that it shouldn't become the defining characteristic of the genre. It certainly isn't one for me.
    Please don't ever open any Golden Age Superman or Batman anthologies. You will die of fright. Most modern comics don't hold a candle to the death and mayhem in Siegel and Schuster's Action Comics:

Anyway, I guess superhero comics aren't for you. Archie comics has some good stories these days, I hear.

BANNED

Fair enough.

And yeah AvX is stupid as hell.
    AvX is the quintessential summer blockbuster. Everything I hoped it could be, it is.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Please don't ever open any Golden Age Superman or Batman anthologies...Anyway, I guess superhero comics aren't for you. Archie comics has some good stories these days, I hear.
    cgh,
    Please do me a favor. Don't tell me me what not to read and don't tell me what is or is not for me. Having read comics since the early 60's and having read many early Golden Age stories I am perfectly capable of making my own mind up as to what I choose to read.

That said, as an example of death and mayhem, to my mind at least, a page showing Superman intentionally crashing into a plane and then finding no bodies in the wreckage pales in comparison to a book that graphically shows: live horses heads being chopped off, a centaurs arm being cut off and three women being immoliated, all in one issue. At least in my opinion.

Enjoy the boards,
    Javier

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    AvX is the quintessential summer blockbuster. Everything I hoped it could be, it is.
    Umm...you hoped Scott would be an utter douchebag moron with no common sense? 'Cause the entire series seems to hinge on Scott having no memory of the true power level of the Phoenix Force and being such a douchebag idiot as to suddenly believe that the X-men have grown so much in both power and maturity as to be able to control it through a teenager who was raised on the run by Cable.

Not at all my idea of 'everything I hoped it would be.' :(

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

Aaaand...

I have stated this before. I liked the old horror and suspense comics of the 60's and 70's. House of Mystery. House of Suspense. Cain and Able. The Witches Three. The Monster stuff Marvel would put out. The Dark Shadows comics.

My complaint (observation, reason I am not into, etc) is that in the realm of superhero comics specifically, violence is not necessary to the genre.
    If it were then we would never have stories like Superman and Flash racing, or many of the old Legion of Superhero or Teen Titan or JLA stories.

And I don't fault people who like characters like the Punisher and Wolverine. Or street level characters like Batman.

It just isn't my thing. And if I like superheroes, it shouldn't have to be. It should be an option.

Javier - did you watch the X-Men: Evolution cartoon about ten years back? I ask because one of my favorite episodes was when they used their powers to save a resort town from an erupting volcano. I'm ok with superhero violence, but like you, I'd like to see more other stuff, too (eg, stop a damn from breaking).

Gaelforce - well, it is an event, what did you expect? Common sense? ;) I'm not reading AvX (yet?), does Cap's side make sense? I mean, locking up a teenage girl because a space bird may come get her?
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-29-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    - Longfellow

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Javier - did you watch the X-Men: Evolution cartoon about ten years back? I ask because one of my favorite episodes was when they used their powers to save a resort town from an erupting volcano. I'm ok with superhero violence, but like you, I'd like to see more other stuff, too (eg, stop a damn from breaking).

Gaelforce - well, it is an event, what did you expect? Common sense? ;) I'm not reading AvX (yet?), does Cap's side make sense? I mean, locking up a teenage girl because a space bird may come get her?
    Yeah, actually, it does make sense (SPOILER) below:

Avengers find out the Phoenix Force is coming to Earth and Cap goes to talk to Scott. Scott sees this as an opportunity (?) to reinvigorate the mutant race and essentially tells Cap to bugger off since he's preparing Hope to be the new host. So yeah, it makes sense to take Hope into custody after Scott acted like a total moron (keep in mind- my X-Men collection goes back to #2 of the original series. I'm a Scott fan :)

AvX is just a whole lot more of what I'm supremely tired of: heroes fighting heroes. Massive snore. Probably will be some cool stuff within and spinning out of it, but the concept does nothing for me.

BANNED

It just isn't my thing. And if I like superheroes, it shouldn't have to be. It should be an option.
    Which is the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Yeah, actually, it does make sense (SPOILER) below:

Avengers find out the Phoenix Force is coming to Earth and Cap goes to talk to Scott. Scott sees this as an opportunity (?) to reinvigorate the mutant race and essentially tells Cap to bugger off since he's preparing Hope to be the new host. So yeah, it makes sense to take Hope into custody after Scott acted like a total moron (keep in mind- my X-Men collection goes back to #2 of the original series. I'm a Scott fan :)
    See, Cap's side doesn't hold much water with me (and not just 'cause I like Scott and the X-Men more). a) Cap showed up to talk, bringing along a flying aircraft carrier and an army. Tha's not really a talk. b) No one gets to decide where the Phoenix Force goes. Scott can't make it go to Hope. Hope can't tell it to go away. And I'm not a fan of "custody" based on the idea that the Phoenix Faorce may come to her and that may lead to harm.

Basically, I feel much like Sacred Knight's post - all these heroes fighting heroes events are getting old and make the lot of 'em look bad.

Bringing this back to WW, I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of DC's "Trinity War." I guess I can just try to hope for the best.
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-29-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    - Longfellow

As far as Trinity War, I'm stoked if it refers to the Three Sinners (Pandora, Phantom Stranger and [insert name here]). If it is indeed referring to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman at odds, then I'll be pretty disappointed there as well.

What would be even cooler in my mind is if in a sense the title of the event had dual meanings. Like, if the main plot of the story indeed revolves around the Three Sinners but the role Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman play in it and their acts to win the day earn them the nickname of Trinity in the DCnU world.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-29-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    As far as Trinity War, I'm stoked if it refers to the Three Sinners (Pandora, Phantom Stranger and [insert name here]). If it is indeed referring to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman at odds, then I'll be pretty disappointed there as well.
    I agree. I guess I'm just paranoid after seeing the image of the heroes fighting each other. Maybe the Sinners made them do it?
    - Longfellow

cgh,
    Please do me a favor. Don't tell me me what not to read and don't tell me what is or is not for me. Having read comics since the early 60's and having read many early Golden Age stories I am perfectly capable of making my own mind up as to what I choose to read.

That said, as an example of death and mayhem, to my mind at least, a page showing Superman intentionally crashing into a plane and then finding no bodies in the wreckage pales in comparison to a book that graphically shows: live horses heads being chopped off, a centaurs arm being cut off and three women being immoliated, all in one issue. At least in my opinion.

Enjoy the boards,
    Javier
    Javier Velasco,

Please do me a favour and respect reality. As such an advanced reader of Golden Age comics, surely you realise the early issues of Action Comics were incredibly violent and featured death and mayhem on a regular basis. Same with Batman. The Comics Code temporarily suppressed all of that, but once it was broken in the '90s, comics returned to their old ways once more with a vengeance. Graphic depictions of violence in comics have been normal for at least twenty years now, probably close to half of your comic book-reading life.

That said, I agree that violence isn't necessary for conflict resolution, and sometimes it gets a bit much. But it's certainly the norm in American superhero comic books, rather than showing heroes zipping around fixing natural disasters or holding races against one another. The Silver Age had a certain dopey charm, but it's an anomaly in the history of superhero comic books.

Enjoy moderating this forum even though you hate the current run,

cgh