Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Azzarello and Chiang at Chicago Con-- Spoilers--?

http://bit.ly/KdDIzA

Ha. I suspected Azzarello talking about Steve Trevor appearing in the book was just a joke Azzarello made while Didio was present. I think that's why Steve is getting developed in the JL book, and Etta too-- Johns wanted the basics present in Diana's status quo, even if Azzarello is ignoring it.

Seems like the goddesses will start appearing, "soon." Interesting note about Diana's 4th sponsor. Who is it? (and who's the third? Ares? Hera?)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post

Ha. I suspected Azzarello talking about Steve Trevor appearing in the book was just a joke Azzarello made while Didio was present. I think that's why Steve is getting developed in the JL book, and Etta too-- Johns wanted the basics present in Diana's status quo, even if Azzarello is ignoring it.

Seems like the goddesses will start appearing, "soon." Interesting note about Diana's 4th sponsor. Who is it? (and who's the third? Ares? Hera?)
    Alex Jones keeps saying the new world order will be getting us 'soon' too.

Unlike Alex Jones, Azz and Chiang have some control over the timeline. And they know what they're talking about.

I wish they'd scripted this out or had someone asking them questions to get them going. They felt a bit awkward and not knowing what to say.

I'm intrigued by this new sponsor. Zeus? Hephaestus?

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I would argue that you could have a character that tries to do non-violent solutions before fighting--I think stuff like Morrison's All-Star Superman showed that really well, not to mention modern Doctor Who. Otherwise, I grok what they're saying and looking forward to what happens next.

I think the three they're talking about are the three that's mentioned: Athena, Artemis, and Aphrodite. As for the forth...my guess is Zeus. I mean, he obviously had a fairly major role in her creation, but perhaps he does more?

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I wish they'd scripted this out or had someone asking them questions to get them going. They felt a bit awkward and not knowing what to say.

I'm intrigued by this new sponsor. Zeus? Hephaestus?
    More than likely they had someone asking them questions, but they edit the questioner out. Any awkwardness probably comes from Chaing taking Azz's lead and Azz, as we all know at this point, has a speaking style that's very direct and to the point, much like the other famed vigilante he's writing at the moment.
    Last edited by DarkKnghtJared; 04-26-2012 at 11:11 AM.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

I think I'm just tired of hearing 'she was this perfect person from a perfect society' line. She wasn't perfect (as has been pointed out over and over and over again over the past decade worth of comics) and Themyscira wasn't perfect (it was a gate to Tartarus, there was the Circle, they were a bit on the xenophobic side ;) )

And the 'perfect people can't be heroes - they're just being themselves' line just rubbed me the wrong way. Nice to know Superman isn't a hero <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I think I'm just tired of hearing 'she was this perfect person from a perfect society' line. She wasn't perfect (as has been pointed out over and over and over again over the past decade worth of comics) and Themyscira wasn't perfect (it was a gate to Tartarus, there was the Circle, they were a bit on the xenophobic side ;) )

And the 'perfect people can't be heroes - they're just being themselves' line just rubbed me the wrong way. Nice to know Superman isn't a hero <grin>
    You gotta remember, this is the argument that many will make about Wonder Womans prior history. It doesn't matter that we can give and have given examples to the contrary. We are all masters of the hyperbole. From one extreme statement to another, not many shades of gray, us internet posters.

Veteran Member

How about Strife as a kind of behind-the scenes sponsor? Maybe she created a conflict between some of the goddesses an Ares, leading the goddesses to create Paradise Island. And may she meant for them to do this because she thought it would eventually lead to strife between the Amazons and men.

I was thinking the three main goddesses would be Aphrodite, Athena, and Hera. The first two because they're the traditional deities, and Hera because we've already seen her importance to Hippolyte and the Amazons. Of course, it could be Artemis as well, seeing as she's historically the Amazons' benefactor, and it would make sense for their stridency against men.

As for the 4th-- Strife, Ares, Zeus are all contenders-- but Azzarello and Chiang suggested we'd be surprised. Those three all seem to much like likely suspects.

Oh how I loathe that line. Particularly when Azzarello uses it. Why? Because he said he didn't want 'black and white,' right? So why must he use 'black and white' to discuss the previous WW and Amazons who were not 'black and white'?
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

What WW book have you been reading?

Unlike Alex Jones, Azz and Chiang have some control over the timeline. And they know what they're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Oh how I loathe that line. Particularly when Azzarello uses it. Why? Because he said he didn't want 'black and white,' right? So why must he use 'black and white' to discuss the previous WW and Amazons who were not 'black and white'?
    Because what is not good for the gander, is good for the goose.

BANNED

I'm really looking forward to seeing Athena and how her redesign will look, so, I'm hoping that she will be one to make an appearance. Great interview and they're making me feel better about where things are going all the time, but looking forward to seeing issue #9 to seeing if my anticipation will be correct, in one way or the other. I do wonder where all of the female patrons have been and rather they have more to do with Zeus' disappearance than everyone seems to be anticipating (e.g. that Zola is carrying an unborn Zeus, while it may be that Aphrodite and Athena is the cause of his disappearance).

In regards to this bride/control by Eros' gun stuff, Athena would be a worthy exchange to liberate Wonder Woman when/if the time comes.

Veteran Member

Of course, it could be Artemis as well, seeing as she's historically the Amazons' benefactor, and it would make sense for their stridency against men.
    The question they're responding to mentions Artemis along with Aphrodite and Athena, and they don't dispute that she's one of the patrons, so I think it's her.

As for the 4th-- Strife, Ares, Zeus are all contenders-- but Azzarello and Chiang suggested we'd be surprised. Those three all seem to much like likely suspects.
    Good point--but maybe they think Strife is non-obvious because she seems like more of an antagonist than a sponsor? And the same could be said of Ares. Of course, you're right that they're likely suspects if we're expecting a little but of a curve ball.

Who would be truly unlikely, I wonder? Persephone? Hades? Hecate? Dionysus? Eros? Pan? Hermaphroditus?
    Last edited by slvn; 04-26-2012 at 02:45 PM.