Default DAn Jurgens art is good! But...

I know I will be attacked by some Dan fans for posting this...

Dan Jurgens sure knows how to draw Superman well! But my problem with him is he doesn't seem to draw fight scenes so good! Character postures in fight scenes are just so awkward. After many years of reading manga's(although I've always been a superman fan), seeing this kind of body postures in fight scenes just doesn't seem right. When Lee did the fight scene between Superman and the league in #2 of JL, it looked really good. But the art in Green arrow(Jurgens run) and Superman #7 (the fight scenes) didn't look so appeasing.

Yeah, I wouldn't say they're the most dynamic, but it never took me out of the story at all.

This, on the other hand, scrunched my brow a bit...

What's up with those cape-wings?! Reminded me of this...

Lee
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark knight.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	92427

Dan

Name:	cbr 4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	92428

Lee

Name:	cbr 2.jpg 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	92429

Dunno why they look so small when I post them X(!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Lee

Name:	dark knight.jpg 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	92427

Dan

Name:	cbr 4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	92428

Lee

Name:	cbr 2.jpg 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	92429

Dunno why they look so small when I post them X(!!
    No doubt. Lee's amazing.

Looking at those images, I think it's way Jurgens draws the cape that does it. The cape gives the impression of moving in a different direction than Superman. Looking at the comparison of the cape wings with Thor, you have Superman flying forward but the "wings" make it look like the cape is blowing backward. The figure and the cape are going in opposite directions. In the pannel where Superman is punching Hellspont, Superman is going up and to the right while the cape is going horizontal. In Lee's pics, the cape always matches the movement. When Superman flys forward, the cape is taught on his back and shoulders. It flows in a way that emphasizes Superman's dynamic actions rather than moving opposite them. So Lee handles the cape the right way, using it accurately and as a tool to emphasize his action scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Looking at those images, I think it's way Jurgens draws the cape that does it. The cape gives the impression of moving in a different direction than Superman. Looking at the comparison of the cape wings with Thor, you have Superman flying forward but the "wings" make it look like the cape is blowing backward. The figure and the cape are going in opposite directions. In the pannel where Superman is punching Hellspont, Superman is going up and to the right while the cape is going horizontal. In Lee's pics, the cape always matches the movement. When Superman flys forward, the cape is taught on his back and shoulders. It flows in a way that emphasizes Superman's dynamic actions rather than moving opposite them. So Lee handles the cape the right way, using it accurately and as a tool to emphasize his action scenes.
    Good catch.

The last hit Anguish gave Superman in #9, was that a punch or a kick? I don't seem to understand his battle sequences

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I love Dan Jurgens and feel his latest run of Superman has been highly enjoyable, I'm glad to see him as a part of the book. People will always have their different opinions on certain creators on certain books, but for me I'd have to say that I'm really enjoying his stay on Superman and hope he sticks around for a little while. Nobody's perfect, and Dan sure isn't, but what he's done so far has looked great and I love when he draws Superman in heroic/iconic poses, he does it as good as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    I love Dan Jurgens and feel his latest run of Superman has been highly enjoyable, I'm glad to see him as a part of the book. People will always have their different opinions on certain creators on certain books, but for me I'd have to say that I'm really enjoying his stay on Superman and hope he sticks around for a little while. Nobody's perfect, and Dan sure isn't, but what he's done so far has looked great and I love when he draws Superman in heroic/iconic poses, he does it as good as anyone.
    Don't get me wrong, I love his art work..but when it comes to battle sequences, I don't seem to understand what is happening. I think the body positioning is just awkward in the fight sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love his art work..but when it comes to battle sequences, I don't seem to understand what is happening. I think the body positioning is just awkward in the fight sequences.
    It's not awkward so much as hindered; there's not a lot of motion, and the camera is positioned in such a way as to show the action as opposed to being within the action.

Here's the deal, I'm no fan of Jim Lee. I feel his art is a sign of his time (kinda like Curt Swan or Jim Apparo i that respect, if you follow). I like Lee's layouts, sure, but not his art. Those 3 images up there? One was a good example and so was two, but taken on its own three had me aching for more Jurgens than Lee...
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitzH2O View Post
    It's not awkward so much as hindered; there's not a lot of motion, and the camera is positioned in such a way as to show the action as opposed to being within the action.

Here's the deal, I'm no fan of Jim Lee. I feel his art is a sign of his time (kinda like Curt Swan or Jim Apparo i that respect, if you follow). I like Lee's layouts, sure, but not his art. Those 3 images up there? One was a good example and so was two, but taken on its own three had me aching for more Jurgens than Lee...
    Well, like you said, there's not a lot of motion in the action sequences. Lee's action sequences gets me all tensed up but Jurgens is just too...limited? And then there's the sound effect "chock, pchow..." Even this last episode of Smallville got me more tensed than the fight scene with helspont ( Not sure if the "more tensed" statement is correct use of English)