Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SavijMuhdrox View Post
    America's Got Powers also seemed to have a hint of Rising Stars to it.. like there will be an over-arcing destiny possibly for these characters as well.

Two titles no one has mentioned that have caught my eye (but not yet my wallet) are The Goon and Mud-Man.

Where do these guys fall on the genre scale?
    Goon is Dark Horse. It's excellent as always, a mainstay of independent comics. Fantasy/sci-fi/action.

Mud Man is so far pretty cool. Gotta love Paul Grist's art style. It plays with superhero tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by murch View Post
    First off, drop AvX: Versus - anything that happens will be erased in 6 months... actually that's true of just about any book from Marvel/DC (though I myself have a Daredevil and Amazing Spider-Man itch that gets scratched biweekly).
    I definitely know what you're saying, but to me it doesn't matter if it gets erased in six months.. That book is about the good old fashioned fun of saying "who would win if..." I enjoy that. It's not sophisticated reading, but it's cool. It's not really about how it effects the characters individual plot lines, because obviously it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by murch View Post
    If budget is a concern, and you don't want to add a monthly title, consider checking out Proof (bigfoot is a well dressed government agent tasked with protecting cryptids and humans from each other) by Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo in trade paperbacks. There are a total of 6 volumes that can be had at a reasonable price and all are a great read. Think Hellboy / BPRD crossed with X-Files.

Other stuff that doesn't easily fit into a particular category:

Chew - FDA Agent who's a cibopath (can sense what's happened to someone or something by eating he/she or it). Awesome.
    Peter Panzerfaust - Reimagining of Peter Pan set in WW2 France. Only a few issues in, but very promising.
    Manhattan Projects - Reimagining of the goings-on during the Manhattan Projects with some serious character twists to famous scientific figures. Very, very good so far.
    Proof sounds awesome. I'm gonna pick up an issue before I decide to put it on my pull list or not, though. I've already called my comic book guy and added Chew and Invincible, and now I'm looking at your other two suggestions and I don't know if I can justify not buying them.. they just sound like great ideas.. so maybe I'll pick up the next issue of each of those too and who knows, maybe they'll all end up on my list.. but I hope I can avoid doing that.. I gotta eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest Mar-Vell View Post
    Never heard of Invincible? Where do you get comics from?
    Haha well here's the story:
    I've only actually been to my comic shop twice, and that was before I was reading comics. I just kinda went in there a couple times with a friend who was buying old records. I had collected lots of Marvel comics as a kid, but given it up as a kid as well. I got sick in 2010 and found myself in and out of hospitals and living back with my parents, restricted from going out to busy public places, not allowed to drink alcohol, or eat restaurant food, or smoke anything, or pretty much do anything entertaining besides hang with my girlfriend who I had somehow managed to start a relationship with while in the hospital. After she and I broke up, I was out of luck and in serious need of something to occupy my time, and I turned to my old friends Marvel Comics.. but still being in the harsh stages of recovery and on immunsosupressants, I couldn't go to the comic book store, so I had to call in my pull list and have a friend or my Mom or Dad pick it up. That started around February 2012, and my pull list has been slowly expanding ever since, with me having never looked at the comic book shelf.. so it's cool that I can come here and get some recommendations from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
    AvX is a scam. Drop all AvX titles off your pull list immediately. Deadpool hasn't been good since Joe Kelly's run. There, you just freed some books. Now add Invincible and Savage Dragon immediately.
    Deadpool still has his moments. The current story arc he's in, which is the same one that was going when I started reading, is pretty entertaining and actually introduces some elements of character motivation that make sense, which used to not happen often in Deadpool. I'll take a look at Savage Dragon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltftw View Post
    I just read America Got Powers and it was excellent. If you enjoy The Running Man or The Hunger Games you will definitely enjoy America Got Powers. I was doubtful of putting it on my pull list at first, but now reading the first issue it will be on there until it over.

I recommend that you get America Got Powers if you enjoy the mockery of "reality" tv shows like Idol and Americas got Talent and if you love mystery/power stuff. It is great and is a pretty hefty first issue for a very good price now and days.
    I'd take your advice, but since it's apparently just a six part series, and I've already missed a couple issues, I've decided to wait for it to come out in TPB form.

Thanks to all of you guys for helping this blind man see the light

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
    Its the most rehash, unoriginal thing Marvel has done in years. Its just blatant baiting of fans of the properties, to cash in on the recent success of the movies. Not only that, but it's bad, pretty much all of it so far. It's like they're not even trying anymore.
    Okay, but none of that makes it a scam. Anyone who pays money for AvX gets exactly what they were promised: Avengers fighting X-Men.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Okay, but none of that makes it a scam. Anyone who pays money for AvX gets exactly what they were promised: Avengers fighting X-Men.
    You're right, scam is the wrong word..

Regurgitation would be more fitting.

They already did the X-Men Vs. The Avengers back in the 80's..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51LoKuFfGsL.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	92448

I haven't read X-men or the Avengers since the early 90's so I imagine the new vs story does feature near characters but the point is, its still something that has already been done. And in a way it does feel like a gimmicky cash grab since the Avengers are getting mainstream exposure right now..

Savage Dragon is a damn good superhero book and while it has traditional comic book elements to it, it also brings something new to the table and offers up a lot of surprises. So I think its totally worth sacrificing AvX or Deadpool for. But well, I gave up a long time ago trying to get people to break their obsession with Marvel and DC's watered down titles in favor of quality indie titles. Some just fear change...

I pretty much cut a lot of my DC books so I can make run for IMAGE books for the first time. It has worked out very well.
    Who's there?

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    I'd take your advice, but since it's apparently just a six part series, and I've already missed a couple issues, I've decided to wait for it to come out in TPB form.

Thanks to all of you guys for helping this blind man see the light
    Actually there has only been one issue out so far, it's double sized though for $3. And I remember him saying that he wanted to do a sequel somewhere.

Anyway, if you're into superheroes and don't want to have to go back and read stuff (even though for things like Invincible and Savage Dragon it is worth it) you can go with Danger Club which is like teen titans but alot more mature and Hell Yeah! which is kind of a kickback to Image's 90's stuff, the crazy, loud, and violent days of comics.

Although I also recommend Manhattan Projects, Saga, and Thief of Thieves which all are on their 2nd-3rd issues right now.

Would Elephantmen and Planetoid be worth a few extra bucks?

I just started about a month ago. Never a big superhero fan. I HIGHLY recommend Saga (my favorite series so far and only two books are out). I cannot wait to see where this series goes. It has the me the most excited. The writing is glorious, and the art is not only fitting to the comic, but detailed and clean. The world building is unparreleled, IMO, and the characters are engaging and humorous. The book has a way of creating a feeling of this being real, which is something I haven't seen much of. Not to mention real-world puns and relations. The relationship between the two protagonists is one of the most endearing, beautiful, and (in an odd way) romantic relationships I have ever seen out of any entertainment medium. You cannot imagine how much I hope this series lives up to the first two issues. I have read the two books at least five times each. Amazing.

If you have the cash, read Y The Last Man. It is superb.

It will cost you a pretty penny to catch up. I hope once I am caught up my comic expenses will plummet because I will only be buying singles. TPBs can break banks.
    Last edited by Marc; 04-26-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

Haunt and Chew are my favorite Image books, but I'd like to pick up more.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Would Elephantmen and Planetoid be worth a few extra bucks?
    I am definately getting Planetoid. As well as Debris and Enourmous, which are two other books with similar themes. All three of them look like they will not let down.

I have Elephantmen Vol 1 and I love it, but I feel as if this book would have been better read as single issues. Don't know why. The art is so cool though. It's interesting.

Honestly, most Image titles are pretty solid picks. Except for the bad apple here and there. Watch out though, if you shop is like mine they sell out of Image titles in like 10 secs. It is hard to keep track of all these books and it sucks when you forget one.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I just started about a month ago. Never a big superhero fan. I HIGHLY recommend Saga (my favorite series so far and only two books are out). I cannot wait to see where this series goes. It has the me the most excited. The writing is glorious, and the art is not only fitting to the comic, but detailed and clean. The world building is unparreleled, IMO, and the characters are engaging and humorous. The book has a way of creating a feeling of this being real, which is something I haven't seen much of. Not to mention real-world puns and relations. The relationship between the two protagonists is one of the most endearing, beautiful, and (in an odd way) romantic relationships I have ever seen out of any entertainment medium. You cannot imagine how much I hope this series lives up to the first two issues. I have read the two books at least five times each. Amazing.

If you have the cash, read Y The Last Man. It is superb.

It will cost you a pretty penny to catch up. I hope once I am caught up my comic expenses will plummet because I will only be buying singles. TPBs can break banks.
    Okay I'm taking your advice on Saga cause that looks pretty damn cool. As for Y, I'm gonna have to pass. I'm like you, I've got a crap load of material to catch up on. I'd like to get myself at least to the point where I've read all the trades I own.

I'm gonna stop reading this thread while I still have money in my checking account.

If you look on eBay or the midtown comics site, you can have the first two issues shipped to you for under 10 bucks.

It baffled me how expensive comics were once I get into them.

I wish I had a real job so I could buy the issues I want. Hopefully they will still be around after my education.

If you look on eBay or the midtown comics site, you can have the first two issues shipped to you for under 10 bucks.
    Yeah that's what I ended up doing.

Yeah I ended up doing that.