Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Want to give Image Comics a try but..

my pull list is already too damn long!

I need you guys to convince me.
    The only books I'm following next month that I'd sort of be willing to drop are AvX: Versus, Hulk Smash Avengers, and maybe Deadpool.. And I'm really not into the idea of dropping books from my pull list.

I'm interested in Planetoid and America's Got Powers..but I don't know alot about either book or any other image comics books.. so I'm asking you guys for advice.

What else is on your normal pull list?

Image has a pretty decent variety of different types of books on the market. Generally, the have something that may sync up with what you already enjoy.

Currently I pull Savage Dragon, Invincible and Danger Club.. all are basically superhero books, and IMO all are excellent (though Danger Club is brand new, so can't get too excited).

America's Got Powers also just started and there aren't showing their full hand on what the book wants to be about just yet.. but i enjoyed the first issue, there's potential.

Also think about asking the guy at your store, the guys I have known are generally always willing to offer advice based on your interests.
    ------------------------
    Read: Savage Dragon, Invincible, X-Factor, Suicide Squad, The Massive, Scarlet Spider, Extermination, Trio, Danger Club & Atomic Robo

Right now for this month I'll pull Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Avengers Vs. X-Men, Deadpool, Batman(and all of the night of the owl tie ins), Atomic Robo, Hulk Smash Avengers, and AvX: versus. I don't want to be dropping $30 a week on comic books, but I'm getting closer than I ever thought I would.

I now give my standard two recommendations of Invincible and Chew, which I think are both better than anything Marvel or DC is putting out.

Invincible is kinda like a combo of Superman and Spider-Man, but with a lot more character and plot development, as well as a more realistic view of what would happen if people with super-powers really fought each other. It also has some of the best art in comics.

Chew is about certain people who have food related powers and a whole bunch of other wacky stuff. The main character is in law enforcement (he has changed jobs a few times) and has the ability to see the past of anything he eats, and sometimes gain abilities from it. Other characters have other types of powers. It also has fantastic artwork.

Last edited by wiski; 04-26-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I now give my standard two recommendations of Invincible and Chew, which I think are both better than anything Marvel or DC is putting out.

Invincible is kinda like a combo of Superman and Spider-Man, but with a lot more character and plot development, as well as a more realistic view of what would happen if people with super-powers really fought each other. It also has some of the best art in comics.

Chew is about certain people who have food related powers and a whole bunch of other wacky stuff. The main character is in law enforcement (he has changed jobs a few times) and has the ability to see the past of anything he eats, and sometimes gain abilities from it. Other characters have other types of powers. It also has fantastic artwork.
    Yeah, I looked at chew and I tried not to want to get it, now I feel like I'm missing out if I don't pick it up.. I've never heard of invincible but I'm definitely considering it now

Yeah, I think I've made up my mind. I'm only dropping Hulk Smash, and I'm gonna skip America's Got Powers and just wait for the trade. I'd rather jump in on some ongoing series. So I'll jump on Invincible and Chew and see how those do for me. Thanks for the advice, fellas

I don't even know where to start.

First off, drop AvX: Versus - anything that happens will be erased in 6 months... actually that's true of just about any book from Marvel/DC (though I myself have a Daredevil and Amazing Spider-Man itch that gets scratched biweekly).

If you're into traditional superhero stuff, pick up Invincible and/or Savage Dragon. Both of these books have some history behind them, Invincible is creeping up on #100 and has had the same creators involved since #1. Savage Dragon is creeping up on #180, and the same guy (Erik Larsen) has been writing and drawing it from the very beginning without missing an issue. Things that happen matter. When people die, they stay dead (generally). What you read last month will still matter this month and next.

If a superhero/horror mash-up is up your alley, check out Spawn or Haunt. Spawn has enjoyed a rebirth in the past year, and is one of the best looking (and reading) books on the stands from Todd McFarlane (scripts), Jon Goff (scripts) and Szymon Kudranski (art). Lots of shadows, alleyways, vampires, demons and angels. Haunt had a change of direction with issue 19, jumping ahead a few years in the story and adding a new creative team. It's literally non-stop insanity (a brother posessed by the ghost of his dead brother) from writer Joe Casey, and some of the most energetic art out there from Nathan Fox.

Walking Dead is always a good bet. Kirkman (who also writes Invincible) lives by the tenet that nobody is safe, and that's truly the case with this book. I find it reads well in big chunks, and pick up the 12-issue hardcovers as they're released - but you really can't go wrong either way.

If budget is a concern, and you don't want to add a monthly title, consider checking out Proof (bigfoot is a well dressed government agent tasked with protecting cryptids and humans from each other) by Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo in trade paperbacks. There are a total of 6 volumes that can be had at a reasonable price and all are a great read. Think Hellboy / BPRD crossed with X-Files.

Other stuff that doesn't easily fit into a particular category:

Chew - FDA Agent who's a cibopath (can sense what's happened to someone or something by eating he/she or it). Awesome.
    Peter Panzerfaust - Reimagining of Peter Pan set in WW2 France. Only a few issues in, but very promising.
    Manhattan Projects - Reimagining of the goings-on during the Manhattan Projects with some serious character twists to famous scientific figures. Very, very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Yeah, I looked at chew and I tried not to want to get it, now I feel like I'm missing out if I don't pick it up.. I've never heard of invincible but I'm definitely considering it now
    Never heard of Invincible? Where do you get comics from?

You seem to enjoy super hero books so I would definitely recommend Invincible, which is the best super hero book on the stands in my opinion. Can't add much more than what Wiski said:

"Invincible is kinda like a combo of Superman and Spider-Man, but with a lot more character and plot development, as well as a more realistic view of what would happen if people with super-powers really fought each other. It also has some of the best art in comics."

Pretty much a perfect short description.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    I need you guys to convince me.The only books I'm following next month that I'd sort of be willing to drop are AvX: Versus, Hulk Smash Avengers, and maybe Deadpool.. And I'm really not into the idea of dropping books from my pull list.
    AvX is a scam. Drop all AvX titles off your pull list immediately. Deadpool hasn't been good since Joe Kelly's run. There, you just freed some books. Now add Invincible and Savage Dragon immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
    AvX is a scam.
    How is it a scam? Are the Avengers not fighting the X-Men?
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

I just read America Got Powers and it was excellent. If you enjoy The Running Man or The Hunger Games you will definitely enjoy America Got Powers. I was doubtful of putting it on my pull list at first, but now reading the first issue it will be on there until it over.

I recommend that you get America Got Powers if you enjoy the mockery of "reality" tv shows like Idol and Americas got Talent and if you love mystery/power stuff. It is great and is a pretty hefty first issue for a very good price now and days.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    How is it a scam? Are the Avengers not fighting the X-Men?
    Its the most rehash, unoriginal thing Marvel has done in years. Its just blatant baiting of fans of the properties, to cash in on the recent success of the movies. Not only that, but it's bad, pretty much all of it so far. It's like they're not even trying anymore.

Sorry if I'm late, but I will say what I always say: The Walking Dead and Invincible are the two best books being published right now. Both are by Robert Kirkman, and they are GOOOOOOD.

Walking Dead - They call it the zombie movie that never ends, but it's really a character study of what prolonged extreme stress will do to humans. The zombies are the setting. Simply can't recommend it enough. As stated earlier, it reads best in chunks, so I'd recommend checking out the first trade or hardcover. If you're not addicted like crack after that, I'll be shocked.

Invincible - Not much to add...Superman meets Spider-man with a great supporting cast, more epic scale, and just great character moments. The art is some of the best in the business, and it's just fun. While also an ongoing story and best from the beginning, I think it's a bit more accessible than TWD to just join on in.

I cannot recommend these two books enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltftw View Post
    I just read America Got Powers and it was excellent. If you enjoy The Running Man or The Hunger Games you will definitely enjoy America Got Powers. I was doubtful of putting it on my pull list at first, but now reading the first issue it will be on there until it over.

I recommend that you get America Got Powers if you enjoy the mockery of "reality" tv shows like Idol and Americas got Talent and if you love mystery/power stuff. It is great and is a pretty hefty first issue for a very good price now and days.

America's Got Powers also seemed to have a hint of Rising Stars to it.. like there will be an over-arcing destiny possibly for these characters as well.

Two titles no one has mentioned that have caught my eye (but not yet my wallet) are The Goon and Mud-Man.

Where do these guys fall on the genre scale?
    ------------------------
    Read: Savage Dragon, Invincible, X-Factor, Suicide Squad, The Massive, Scarlet Spider, Extermination, Trio, Danger Club & Atomic Robo