Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's yer beef with Punisher: War Zone

I'm just curious, why the hell do I keep seeing bad reviws of Punisher : War Zone? I thought that movie was a better version of the Punisher than the previous 2 Punisher flicks. Lemme know what you folks think and if you didn't like it, let me know why? Thank ya!

The acting was wooden.

It was more about being gory than telling a story.

And dude who played Frank was too damn old to be believable in his role.

Ill admit the acting was not the best, personally, I'm a fan of gore, I thought the story was kinda entertaining because it was slightly over the top, which is how comic book movies(not all of em) should be, and I personally thought Ray Stevenson was an almost perfect porayal of Frank Castle. Much better than Lundgren and the other dude. The age was not a big concern to me because we see Frank in the comics getting older, which is something I like about the Punisher. The Punisher can't be young forever. Thanks for your reply.

I kind of expected a grittier film I guess. In some parts it felt like Schumacher Punisher with the neon lighting and campy Jigsaw. I'm not expecting a Punisher film to be a benchmark in cinema storytelling, but there's a lot that can be explored with a character as broken as Frank Castle.

@Ziggy

I think it actually makes sense for Frank to be old, especially if you look at Punisher MAX. Frank is clearly a guy who doesn't feel he has anything to live for but hunting down criminals even after he got his initial revenge. It's a bit more believable when it's a guy nearing the end of the line - "Before I die, I'm taking as many of them with me as I can."
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Meth addict parkouring gang members that "don't like using doors" should be all that needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by a fire in london View Post
    Meth addict parkouring gang members that "don't like using doors" should be all that needs to be said.
    I was slightly inebriated last week when I watched itso that part was entertaining for me. Plus, their deaths were pretty good, especially the dude who got blowed up in mid-air.
    Last edited by DaronB; 04-26-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaronB View Post
    I was baked as a mofo so that part was entertaining for me. Plus, their deaths were pretty good, especially the dude who got blowed up in mid-air.

Agreed that the parkour guy getting taken out midair was the highlight of the film. Personally, my wife and I really enjoyed it. Having Ray Stevenson, who we loved in Rome, play the Punisher only helped that. I heard rumors for a while that Marvel was exploring turning The Punisher into a TV series with Stevenson returning to the role. I'd totally be down for that.

Quote Originally Posted by will_butler View Post
    Agreed that the parkour guy getting taken out midair was the highlight of the film. Personally, my wife and I really enjoyed it. Having Ray Stevenson, who we loved in Rome, play the Punisher only helped that. I heard rumors for a while that Marvel was exploring turning The Punisher into a TV series with Stevenson returning to the role. I'd totally be down for that.
    Yeah I heard fox is making a tv series too. I'm curious as to how that will turn out. The Punisher is my favorite marvel character so my opinions may be a little biased when I see the tv series. I reallly hope it doesn't suck tho

Quote Originally Posted by a fire in london View Post
    In that those guys were awesome, especially when as already mentioned one gets blown away in mid air.

Besides the acting I thought the movie was pretty good and out of all three I say it's the best of the bunch, also the addition of Loony-Bin Jim was nice and I'd be all for him coming into the comics
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew

I enjoyed the movie

except for Loony Bin Jim. I hated his character and he made me cringe every time I saw him,

the spirit of the movie and the actor were spot on though IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    I enjoyed the movie

except for Loony Bin Jim. I hated his character and he made me cringe every time I saw him,

the spirit of the movie and the actor were spot on though IMO
    He makes me do that in real life too!

I... really liked it. I've re watched it several times.

Loony Bin Jim kinda sucked, but that's good. We wanted him to die.

Love the part where Punisher blows off the guys head with a shotgun.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

It was a shit movie, and surprisingly boring for a movie that was so over-the-top.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    The acting was wooden.

It was more about being gory than telling a story.

And dude who played Frank was too damn old to be believable in his role.
    You know he was like 60 in the comics for a while during one of the most popular runs the book ever had, right?

the movies tone was totally haphazard. realistic and overly serious in one scene, ridiculous and cartoony in the next. plus Frank should never, ever, EVER cry.

I've heard the proposed TV show might have Frank as a cop during the day and working as The Punisher by night. This would be wrong on so many levels. Giving the Punisher a secret ID takes away the entire point of the character. Following his families death Frank in no way cares for any semblance of a normal life.

and yeah Frank needs to be old and grisseled.
    Visit my comics blog http://mugshotcomics.com become a member, leave a comment. Updated twice weekly