Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 673
  1. #16
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,422

    Default

    *shrugs* It really depends on how you define self defense. Hell in the city I live in alone we've had cases exactly like this where it was ruled shooting the victim wasn't justified.

    It being self defense is an opinion, not a fact..though you are certainly free to think otherwise. It's not really a big deal either way, she had a good reason for doing it.
    Last edited by Surtur; 04-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  2. #17
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    *shrugs* It really depends on how you define self defense. Hell in the city I live in alone we've had cases exactly like this where it was ruled shooting the victim wasn't justified.
    It being self defense is an opinion, not a fact..though you are certainly free to think otherwise. It's not really a big deal either way, she had a good reason for doing it.
    Don't care about that. Sookie was in the right for shooting her, end of story
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  3. #18
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Don't care about that. Sookie was in the right for shooting her, end of story
    Well that's basically a matter of opinion I guess.

    Though the good news is the new season begins tonight. Been wanting to find out who turned Steve Newlin.
    Last edited by Surtur; 06-10-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  4. #19
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,468

    Default

    Still a possibility that if Tara doesn't make it she could come back as a ghost. I could say vampire but I don't see that happening
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  5. #20
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Still a possibility that if Tara doesn't make it she could come back as a ghost. I could say vampire but I don't see that happening
    Honestly, I'm kind of exhausted when it comes to her character. I wouldn't mind if she just died..or became a ghost, but a ghost we don't see very often. I found her ok at first, but becoming a lesbian..ufc fighter or whatever the hell she was doing, then she comes back and joins a coven..that's where they lost me.

    Though I'm wondering if the werewolves are going to retaliate against Sam for what he did. Heck, they might even come after Sookie too for killing Debbie. This might force Alcide to step up and lead the pack if he wants to keep her safe.
    Last edited by Surtur; 06-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  6. #21
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Honestly, I'm kind of exhausted when it comes to her character. I wouldn't mind if she just died..or became a ghost, but a ghost we don't see very often. I found her ok at first, but becoming a lesbian..ufc fighter or whatever the hell she was doing, then she comes back and joins a coven..that's where they lost me.

    Though I'm wondering if the werewolves are going to retaliate against Sam for what he did. Heck, they might even come after Sookie too for killing Debbie.
    Not a lesbian, more bisexual, theres a difference. Still I know this is True Blood and all but if they had to have Tara interested in other females at least build up on her showing signs of being interested in other females instead of"Hey lets just have Tara make out with another chick". Also she didn't join a coven actually she went at the expense of her cousin Lafayette who had just, begrudgingly, joined a coven at the expense of Jesus. She was more like a guest than a actual member. Also the correct term would be MMA Fighter and that was more like something she was doing to get through the day, and to take her agressions out. Not something she was seriously into.

    If they do legit kill off Tara and not bring her back while I could take it as a bold move in killing off a main character I also look at it as, well, killing off a black character. A bisexual black character and this is after they had just killed off a gay character. That is a bit of a red flag. If it's a main character they could kill off why not Jason? Don't hate him but he's pretty much expendable
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  7. #22
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Not a lesbian, more bisexual, theres a difference.
    Well sure, but I'd just assumed the person she was pretending to be was a lesbian(but she could of been bi).

    Also she didn't join a coven actually she went at the expense of her cousin Lafayette who had just, begrudgingly, joined a coven at the expense of Jesus. She was more like a guest than a actual member.
    At first yes, but after joining forces with Marnie I think she pretty much became more then just a guest. At that point Lafayette wasn't even with her anymore.

    Also the correct term would be MMA Fighter and that was more like something she was doing to get through the day, and to take her agressions out. Not something she was seriously into.
    I thought it was implied that's how she was earning her money in her new life.

    If they do legit kill off Tara and not bring her back while I could take it as a bold move in killing off a main character I also look at it as, well, killing off a black character. A bisexual black character and this is after they had just killed off a gay character. That is a bit of a red flag. If it's a main character they could kill off why not Jason? Don't hate him but he's pretty much expendable
    See I think this is the problem with entertainment today. People are too worried about certain things. For me, the red flag is that whenever a fictional character dies we have to make sure it's ok..to make sure this person is or isn't the right race or sexuality. I'm not saying kill her because she's black, but rather I don't think they should choose not to kill her simply because she is black or bi sexual.

    I so far haven't seen any hints that the people behind the show are racist or hate gay/bisexuals. If they did, Lafayette would of been dead and gone years ago. If Tara dies it isn't because she is black or bi sexual..it's because her best friend chose to get involved heavily in the affairs of vampires and other supernatural beings, with Tara choosing to still remain involved in said friends life. Just like Jesus wasn't killed because he was gay..he was killed because a witch wanted his power. Their deaths came down to choices each had made, none of which had anything to do with race or sexuality(Tara chose to remain in Sookie's life, Jesus chose to use his demonic gifts in front of Marnie).

    Though if Tara does die I wouldn't read too much into it. For her being bi wasn't a big part of her character..it was something they just tacked on in the 4th season. I don't think her dying would mean anything in regards to the attitude towards gay/bisexuals..any more then her dying would mean anything in regards to the attitude towards MMA fighters.

    I get why people would do this, but these days it seems like no matter what you do someone is always going to get offended. I wish people would just sit back and enjoy the show and if they don't like something then they can watch one of the hundreds of other channels that are out there.
    Last edited by Surtur; 06-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  8. #23
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post


    See I think this is the problem with entertainment today. People are too worried about certain things. For me, the red flag is that whenever a fictional character dies we have to make sure it's ok..to make sure this person is or isn't the right race or sexuality. I'm not saying kill her because she's black, but rather I don't think they should choose not to kill her simply because she is black or bi sexual.

    I so far haven't seen any hints that the people behind the show are racist or hate gay/bisexuals. If they did, Lafayette would of been dead and gone years ago. If Tara dies it isn't because she is black or bi sexual..it's because her best friend chose to get involved heavily in the affairs of vampires and other supernatural beings, with Tara choosing to still remain involved in said friends life. Just like Jesus wasn't killed because he was gay..he was killed because a witch wanted his power. Their deaths came down to choices each had made, none of which had anything to do with race or sexuality(Tara chose to remain in Sookie's life, Jesus chose to use his demonic gifts in front of Marnie).

    Though if Tara does die I wouldn't read too much into it. For her being bi wasn't a big part of her character..it was something they just tacked on in the 4th season. I don't think her dying would mean anything in regards to the attitude towards gay/bisexuals..any more then her dying would mean anything in regards to the attitude towards MMA fighters.

    I get why people would do this, but these days it seems like no matter what you do someone is always going to get offended. I wish people would just sit back and enjoy the show and if they don't like something then they can watch one of the hundreds of other channels that are out there.
    Not saying I was offended as I mentioned that it's considered a bold move for True Blood possibly killing off a main character, which Tara is. Just saying I can see how some people might misinterprete it should they go through killing Tara off as you do have some individuals that would easily get in an uproar if a character that is black gets killed in either movies or tv series
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  9. #24
    R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wakanda, NY
    Posts
    14,912

    Default

    Tara's bisexuality wasn't something I felt seemed tacked on and it didn't bother me there wasn't much hints to it before hand. There are people who go through life where people believe they're one sexuality and later they come out and its a surprise to others because they never saw any signs or hints at it. Also, people experiment and realize they like certain things they never imagined they would before. Upon Tara's absence and journey of self discovery, she experimented and found that she cared for the woman she tried new things with.

    Only thing that upsets me if Tara is in fact gone is that last season was finally the season where she become a bit more proactive and not as destructive or pissy. She definitely grown from the season before and last. So to see her gone after all the crap she went through and had to overcome since episode one sorta sucks.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

    Free Umbra!

  10. #25
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,468

    Default

    Least Newlan is a few notches above Crystal.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Still a possibility that if Tara doesn't make it she could come back as a ghost. I could say vampire but I don't see that happening
    i saw it happen.

  12. #27

    Default

    I didn't realize how much I missed this series until this season began. For a first episode, it was pretty awesome. I thought for a while that they were going to write Tara out of the series. But making her a vampire has the potential to be a very interesting plot. I also didn't expect Jason to show some backbone in the face of a cute drunk girl. And at last it looks like we'll be getting a glimpse of the Vampire Authority. They've been talked about for so long. It'll be nice to finally put a face on the menacing name. Can't wait for the next episode! It's good to see this series back in action.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

    X-men Supreme

  13. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Lets be accurate though... Sookie didn't murder Debbie. Sookie killed Debbie in self defense. Debbie came after her. It could still stand between them but... Sookie has accepted bigger problems with both Bill and Eric. I am betting Alcide can get over this.
    Uh this episode crushed "your accuracy" on whether Sookie killed Debbie in self defense didn't it.

  14. #29
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Sookie has convinced herself that she wanted to kill Debbie, and maybe she did. But I still say that legally it was self defense, not murder. Lafayette agrees with me. So it is kind of both ways. Sookie's morality is getting in the way of her common sense. Although I have to admit that the way she disposed of the body... oh well.

    So how about Newlins gay turn?

    And it looks like Tara is alive (or rather un-dead) now. But is it really her? Seems like she doesn't know who she is. But these things have been misleading in the past. This season is off to a good start.

    Oh, and after seeing what a Pack does with it's dead pack master, I can see why Alcide wouldn't want to be a pack master. That was just weird. I have never heard of that legend before. I wonder if it comes from somewhere or if it is just a creation of the shows writers.

  15. #30
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Not saying I was offended as I mentioned that it's considered a bold move for True Blood possibly killing off a main character, which Tara is. Just saying I can see how some people might misinterprete it should they go through killing Tara off as you do have some individuals that would easily get in an uproar if a character that is black gets killed in either movies or tv series
    Oh I don't think you specifically were offended, it's just something that seems to be cropping up more and more lately, I can see how some might get into an uproar, but for me they are just missing the point. This is supposed to be entertainment. If they are worrying about how many members of a specific race or sexuality are getting killed then what is the point? Especially since this isn't ground breaking television really. I love the show, but it's a trashy soap opera..just with more violence and nudity then normal. It is not going to influence a generation of people to become racist, etc. They could even have every single character from now on who dies only be black and gay and it still would probably fail to influence anyone.

    I think if you watch the show the reasons the various people died make sense.

    As for the episode itself, I liked it. I'm enjoying seeing Eric and Bill team up. I loved Eric saying "fuck Sookie" when sensing she needs help. It will be nice to see Eric and Bill doing something that has nothing to do with Sookie.

    I really don't like the idea of Tara becoming a vampire though. Now I can just imagine we'll have to hear her constantly complaining about how she hates herself and whatnot.

    I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see much of Russell, though I did find it hilarious Alcide thought he could somehow protect anyone from him.
    Last edited by Surtur; 06-11-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •