Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Wow that's some crazy shit Slott posted. Of course I don't like everything that every writer does but I would NEVER wish such a horrible affliction on anyone! Not even my worse enemy. Shit man there are some crazy fucking people out there.

p.s. I never knew about formspring so now I'm pretty pissed he closed his down

Dan seems to have an unusual amount of problems with online fans, doesn't he? Maybe we just hear about it more?

Kind of begs the question.
    David Bowie fan

Some people=Scum!
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

I am sorry Dan has to do this, but respect his reasoning. Guess there is a good reason most creative types seem to not interact in internet situations with fans all that much. The anonymous freedom is both the best and worst thing about the internet.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    Dan seems to have an unusual amount of problems with online fans, doesn't he?
    Oh Dear Lord. Of course YOU'D pop out of the woodwork to say that. :-P

This is a shame, but if it starts messing with a man's personal life he SHOULD shut his Formspring down. I think Tom Brevoort should follow suit. I can only imagine the kind of crap he gets on his account. Actually, I can because I've done my share of complaining, but I've tried not to make it too personal. Some people just take it way too far and this is what happens when the anonymity of the internet is abused.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Slott at the Emerald City Comic Con, and he was, by far, the most gracious creator I talked to all weekend. He was more than happy to share his enthusiasm for Dr. Who with my girlfriend while signing my book, which really made her day after having a less-than-stellar experience with one of her favorite writers. It's sad that it's come to this, I just hope that Mr. Slott knows that these jerks are the exceptions instead of the rule. I wish him the best going forward.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    Dan seems to have an unusual amount of problems with online fans, doesn't he? Maybe we just hear about it more?

Kind of begs the question.
    Maybe it seems that way to you since you bring such a negative preconception of most things Marvel (and Dan) to most of your posts.

But....no, it doesn't seem he has an "unusual amount of problems with fans" to me---and probably not to most people who pay attention to other creators' comments. Alan Moore, for one, won't engage at all with fans----I have seen Dan both at cons and LCS signings smiling ear to ear as he autographed books for fans even with the line a mile long.

So, no, doesn't seem to me like he has any problems out of the ordinary with fans; there will always be a certain number of cranks in this business and others as well.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This is a shame, but if it starts messing with a man's personal life he SHOULD shut his Formspring down. I think Tom Brevoort should follow suit. I can only imagine the kind of crap he gets on his account. Actually, I can because I've done my share of complaining, but I've tried not to make it too personal. Some people just take it way too far and this is what happens when the anonymity of the internet is abused.
    Quoted for truth.

Some of the stuff that Tom Brevoort puts up with on his Formspring page is unbelievable.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Did you even read Slott's reason for closing his Formspring account??
    Im not discussing that, im discussing the other stuff he brings up.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quoted for truth.

Some of the stuff that Tom Brevoort puts up with on his Formspring page is unbelievable.
    And Brevoort has said he's gotten even worse stuff than some of what he has put up.

(Yikes. Really.)
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quoted for truth.

Exactly. A) This is not an issue limited to just Dan Slott though I applaud him for taking a stand on it and B) This is not even a comics creators-limited issue; the overwhelming sense of entitlement that all fans of media/sports seem to have is appalling. High time that these folks did a bit of self-examining and perhaps get a life outside of their hobby.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Note to self: Never get a Formspring account.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Wishing cancer on somebody Wow thats just crazy & uncalled for but I gotta say that having the Avengers movie spoiled being the thing to put all this over the top to close his formspring compared to everything else strikes me as particularly assbackwards

Being a big fan of the Mass Effect series & not having played the third one yet (despite having it well over a month) I'd be pissed at it having being spoiled intentionally by some prick via some social media channel BUT if I had to deal with all the shit Dan did whatever I was using (FB, twitter, formspring) would've been closed down a long time before the game got spoiled.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Im not discussing that, im discussing the other stuff he brings up.
    Lets see you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Is kind of weird that Slott has problems with people telling him they dont like his work.
    Well "anonymous people."
    Was he bullied by an anonymous guy when he was young or something?
    im not seeing where he brings up that he doesnt want criticism... I am reading where he feels the interaction he gets via formspring with fans is overshadowed by a few over the top bad apples and the things that they have said and done to him personally. Due to that, hes not going to use it further. Hes very specific with his examples, where does he list not wanting to hear criticism?