Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Dan Slott: No more Formspring

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott
    "Why I'm shutting down my Formspring account..."

Or...

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Hi. If you're someone who's enjoyed coming to this Formspring account-- or had fun asking a question and getting an answer-- I'm sorry. This is NOT your fault. Honest.

The problem with Formspring is that it gives a number of people very creative ways to be absolute dicks while remaining anonymous and unaccountable.

I have a number of friends who are girls who've gotten WAY too many creepy, inappropriate, and stalker-ish questions. And I've told 'em repeatedly, "Get the hell off of Formspring."

I've seen some of the really hateful questions Tom Brevoort's been asked. And, at times, I've told him, "You should really get the hell off of Formspring."

Yes.
    There's a block function.
    But we all know there are a zillion ways around that.
    Yes.
    You can choose to ignore people when they're getting EXTREMELY dickish.
    I get that too.

But here's the thing:
    Why should I HAVE to?
    Why should I give someone the opportunity to act extremely horribly to me WITH the complete freedom of anonymity?

Anyone following my Formspring account has seen the post where someone wished me cancer so that another person could write Spider-Man.

Believe it or not-- I've received some posts that have made that one look tame.

They usually come one-right-after-the-other. And once you block that one, it disappears for a while. So, who knows, it could just be one, really pathetic person with a lot of issues and nothing better to do with their life.

If it was just that, I could deal. Whatever.

It's when that person tries to use Formspring to do something that effects me in the real world that gets SUPER creepy.

I've had someone post my HOME PHONE NUMBER on a Formspring question as a way to intimidate me.

A way to say "If I don't like what you, Dan Slott, are doing to my favorite fictional character, I will put your PERSONAL contact information online for everyone to see." THAT IS FUCKED UP.

If you do something like that, you REALLY don't understand boundaries and you need some serious counseling. There's something WRONG with you. You're NOT right in the head. On the flip-side, if you had done something like that and I COULD tell who you were-- I WOULD TAKE LEGAL ACTION. No joke.

That was a while ago. And, because of someone's problems with how I write a FICTIONAL character, it caused a number of annoying headaches for me in the REAL world. I had to get a new number, get it unlisted, and get in touch with all the friends, family, and contacts I could think of to give them my new info.

And I forgot people! And that lead to more problems! My DENTIST had to call my parents in another STATE to get my info so they could reach me about an appointment! My AGENT had a potential job for me but didn't know how to get in touch with me. So THANK YOU, creepy internet guy. You actually screwed with my REAL life. Congrats. Big win for you.

But that's not what did it. That wasn't the final straw.

What was?

Today someone thought it would be funny to use Formspring to send me an anonymous message SPOILING one of the big secrets of the AVENGERS film the DAY before I go to see it.

ASSHOLE.

I have been avoiding new trailers and articles FOR MONTHS so that I could see it fresh in the theater. And you went and did that. Way to go!

I get that I'm someone whose work you don't like and it gave you some pleasure to fuck with me. But here's the thing-- EVERYONE out there doesn't like SOMEBODY'S work. Somewhere out there is ANOTHER version of YOU who is pulling the SAME shit on a writer that you DO like. And just like me, that person will close off part of their social media and you won't get to read the fun social-media-ish things that THEY'RE typing. Karma-wise, that's how it works. Because of dicks like you, "we can't have nice things."

Sorry to everyone who enjoys my silly blatherings here-- but I'm out.
    You can always try asking me stuff on Twitter. There seems to be more options there to go after the punks who pull this kind of shit over there-- and to hold them accountable to SOME extent.

Again, sorry. Just hit that point, y'know?
    See ya.
    thanks a lot to everyone that made Mr Slott reach this conclusion

NOT!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Damn shame.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

That sucks. What's Formspring?

BANNED

You know fans derives from FANATIC right ? That's why i never considered myself fan of anything, i'm an apreciator of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    That sucks. What's Formspring?
    A site where you can post questions to be answered, kinda like a quizz twitter.

That's a damned shame. I may not always agree with Dan's take on the ASM title, but I sure as hell enjoyed asking him fun questions, like about his thoughts on the new Big Time and FF Spider-Man Marvel Legends. I'm going to miss chatting with Dan the Fan.
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Damn shame.
    QFT. (Nothing more needs be said.)
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

There are really stupid ****ing people out there. Really enjoyed his Formspring, but this is why we can't have nice things.

This is the kind of thing that makes me both angry and sad in regards to the fan community. I just don't get the kind of vitriol that spews forth from some fans and how negative and actively shitty they are towards creators. If you had told me thirty or so years ago that one day there'd be a way to instantly communicate with the writers, artists, and editors of my favorite books I would thought it sounded like a dream. And, really, it would be except for the fact that too many people are ignorant dicks. At least when the most info you had to judge your fellow fans by was letter column mail, it was easy to imagine that the fan community at large was comprised of thoughtful, informed, and passionate readers. Thanks to the internet it's easier to assume the worst is true about the comic book community - that too many fans are socially retarded, driven by pettiness, and lacking in common decency.

It may be a minority stance to take but I actually enjoy the comics I read and feel grateful to the people who create them. And when I come across a book I don't care for or a creator whose work doesn't appeal to me - I simply stop reading and move onto those that I prefer. It seems so simple that it makes me wonder why we see so much anger, viciousness, and all-around poor behavior from fans online. I suppose it's all about being anonymous and not having to suffer any repercussions for one's actions but honestly, even if you could be an asshole and get away with it - why would you even want to? What's the upside to being a total creep? And a coward to boot?

I'm sorry that Dan had to close his Formspring account but I can understand why. To be honest, if I was any kind of publically known figure I doubt if I'd be on the internet at all.

I don't want you to get Cancer, Dan.

Is kind of weird that Slott has problems with people telling him they dont like his work.
    Well "anonymous people."
    Was he bullied by an anonymous guy when he was young or something?

OK, why Dan Slott? Why would you go out of your way to be so painfully rude to this man? Are they jealous that he's writing Spider-Man or something? I really don't get it. Out of all the people to be mean to, why him? If you really want to be a dick, be mean to the woman who used to be the hot, popular girl at your school who always made fun of you and who knows lives in government subsidized housing with her live-in boy-friend and 4 kids. Be mean to someone you know and who actually deserves it. Don't waster your time with people who write wonderful comics and who therefore contribute positively to our society.

BTW, please don't be too mean to the people you used to be go to high school with. It's funny the first time, but then it gets to be mean and petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Is kind of weird that Slott has problems with people telling him they dont like his work.
    I'm sure Slott has no problems with people offering constructive criticisms of his work, whether it be anonymously or not. Being beligerent, bullying, and actively trying to screw with someone's real life, however, is not simply "telling him they don't like his work." That's crossing a line and, as Dan notes, it's behavior that would have legal repercussions if it weren't done behind the cloak of online animinity. To feel that people being aggresively shitty towards you is completely unacceptable is not "kind of weird" or even the least bit weird at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I don't want you to get Cancer, Dan.
    Neither do I.

And I kinda love this post, so I hope you don't get cancer too...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    OK, why Dan Slott? Why would you go out of your way to be so painfully rude to this man? Are they jealous that he's writing Spider-Man or something? I really don't get it. Out of all the people to be mean to, why him? If you really want to be a dick, be mean to the woman who used to be the hot, popular girl at your school who always made fun of you and who knows lives in government subsidized housing with her live-in boy-friend and 4 kids. Be mean to someone you know and who actually deserves it. Don't waster your time with people who write wonderful comics and who therefore contribute positively to our society.

BTW, please don't be too mean to the people you used to be go to high school with. It's funny the first time, but then it gets to be mean and petty.
    Because people feel he's being 'mean' to them by doing his job. That's not correct, of course, but this is their justification. Again, because people will purposely misconstrue this, it is not an appropriate justification for what they're doing. But you asked why, and that, I believe, is why.

Ok, so, it's unfortunate that people can't not be assholes. Additionally, I want to say that I can totally understand a position like Mr. Slott's, because I can't say I'd want to deal with vitrolic crap all the time either. And even if you're disliking something, and even if you feel like that they are taking something from you by doing what they're doing, you should still be civil and reasonable and not wish death upon people. That's called being civilized. You should be civilized.

But with all that said, isn't this sorta crap to be expected? I mean, it's the internet. that's what the internet DOES. It's not Magic Fun Land where everything is roses. It is the human psyche free of the constraints of most judgment. EVERYONE has to deal with it. If you have a formspring, or a twitter, or a youtube channel, or a blog, or whatever, that's just the way the world works. This means that you're going to get some horrible things said by both horrible people and people who lack proper social restraint and even just people who think its funny. You're gonna get trolled. You're also going to get fanboys and fangirls and gushing praise and well-reasoned responses, that's part of the internet too. But you're not going to just get one of them. You're going to get it all. The property comes with assets AND debts.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

BANNED

YIKES! That's insanely harsh. Especially the phone number thing. That's actually my biggest fear when I go online is that someone will post it. Seriously, not cool.
    ...Though he really should have done an internet black out if he didn't want Avengers spoilers. I know I'm playing devil's advocate, but you really can't avoid spoilers for a big movie if you go online. You have to resist that urge.

But yeah, all the cancer and phone number stuff is flat out scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm sure Slott has no problems with people offering constructive criticisms of his work, whether it be anonymously or not. Being beligerent, bullying, and actively trying to screw with someone's real life, however, is not simply "telling him they don't like his work." That's crossing a line and, as Dan notes, it's behavior that would have legal repercussions if it weren't done behind the cloak of online animinity. To feel that people being aggresively shitty towards you is completely unacceptable is not "kind of weird" or even the least bit weird at all.
    The easiest thing to do with regards to rude foamspring questions is to simply ignore them by pressing the "DELETE" button. Dan Slott was one of the few writers who allowed fans to ask questions directly to him. I have sent a few questions to him(Not relating to any female superhero hook ups) and Dan answered most of my submissions. We also have to remember that Dan is a very busy man because it's not easy writing two issues of AMS per month in a high quality story fashion. I don't think that anyone else could handle that kind of workload and find the time to communicate with the fans. To the fans who don't like his writing style, don't buy the book. It's that simple. No one is asking them to spend their hard earned $$$ to read something that they don't like.

If I was in Dan's shoes, I would just ignore those comments because if I had to respond to them, then these naysayers who be getting what they want which is to make the writer look bad. Let me say that Dan Slott is the best writer out there for ASM at this time. He is the reason why I return to the book ever since Todd Mcfarlane left the title in 1989. I have a great deal of respect for Dan because I can see his passion for Spider-Man shine through in ways that I can't even imagine.

And Dan: If you are reading this message, don't let the naysayers get to you because a few bad seeds shouldn't bring down a great writer like yourself to their level. Whenever you get harassing messages, delete them. That's what I always do. If you close you foamsprings account, then the naysayers have won. Don't let this happen.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 04-25-2012 at 10:46 PM.