Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    Peter gave up his marriage to Mary Jane in the deal with Mephisto to save aunt May.

If aunt May hadn't been shot and Mephisto forced Peter to choose between his marriage to Mary Jane or being Spider-Man do you really think he would've given up his marriage?

I think he would've given up being Spider-Man in a heartbeat rather than sacrifice his marriage to Mary Jane.
    How is Mephisto forcing Peter? At gunpoint? He had May's life to dangle over Peter, but if that's not the case, why would he have to choose either?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Well I'm glad Dan Slott is writing Spider-Man and not this "Spider-Dragon" character on CBR.

And if he tried, Peter would give up the suit for about a day or three. Then he'd give MJ some excuse about why it falls on him to save the city/world/puppy in a tree.

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    And if he tried, Peter would give up the suit for about a day or three. Then he'd give MJ some excuse about why it falls on him to save the city/world/puppy in a tree.
    Isn't that what happened with ASM (vol 2.) early on after "The Final Chapter"

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Isn't that what happened with ASM (vol 2.) early on after "The Final Chapter"
    And OMIT

And Spider-Man 2

And Spider-Man #50

And essentially the end of Spider-Island

And etc etc etc.

The only reason Peter Parker would ever stop being Spider-Man is if he's physically unable to do it anymore. That's it. Whether that means being dead(which hasn't stopped him before), old age(which again, didn't stop him in Reign), or something he just can't beat.

Exactly, was going to say the same thing. He has tried to give it up, he can't. He is emotionally traumatized or whatever, but he can't stand by, having been a hero, and let people suffer. As long as he remained powered he wouldn't be able to stop forever and if he wasn't powered, he'd try anyway and probably get killed.

BANNED

How is Mephisto forcing Peter? At gunpoint? He had May's life to dangle over Peter, but if that's not the case, why would he have to choose either?

It doesn't matter really. I'm basically just saying that if Peter was actually forced to choose between giving up being Spider-Man or his marriage to Mary Jane I believe he would choose giving up being Spider-Man instead of his marriage that's all.

I believe overall that Peter loves Mary Jane more than he loves being Spider-Man.

There's years of stories that suggest otherwise. Peter Parker would sacrifice his own happiness to save people. Even if that means constantly being shit on by the city he loves and saves, even if that means never being in a happy, healthy relationship, even if that means letting down his friends and family. Time and time again, Peter Parker will get out of his own way and let Spider-Man take over. That's just who he is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    There's years of stories that suggest otherwise. Peter Parker would sacrifice his own happiness to save people. Even if that means constantly being shit on by the city he loves and saves, even if that means never being in a happy, healthy relationship, even if that means letting down his friends and family. Time and time again, Peter Parker will get out of his own way and let Spider-Man take over. That's just who he is.

Well, something is going to cause Peter to give up being Spider-Man by the end of this year. It's been stated that it's Peter's last year as Spider-Man...remember?

If he isn't killed off then he's giving the mantle to someone else.
    Last edited by Spider-Dragon; 04-24-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    Well, something is going to cause Peter to give up being Spider-Man by the end of this year. It's been stated that it's Peter's last year as Spider-Man...remember?

If he isn't killed off then he's giving the mantle to someone else.
    Which should be as believable as all the other times it was his last time under the mask.

I'm interested in the story, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that's a trigger they'd really pull.

-Theophilus

They've never said that. They say things like "End of Spider-Man!?" or "Do you think this is it for ol' Peter Parker!?" to wind people up, but anything beyond that is speculative reading.

And it wouldn't be the first time they've said this, either. Not even the first time Wacker has said it.

Spectacular Spider-Fan ScarletSpiderFan's Avatar

I'm pretty sure no matter what else happens Peter will stay Spider-Man. Even if the series got 1,000 times better, traditionalists (and I'm not excluding myself) and most other fans would revolt. People don't like major character changes, I'm amazed Marvel hasn't learned this, and I hope for Slott's sake he doesn't destroy anything we Spider-Fans hold dear.

I'm going for an Aunt May death in Dying Wish or 700. Possibly in a way that breaks Pete's "no one dies" rule and causes a major personality change. It'd be interesting to see him go insane with rage and end up with some real blood on his hands. Although, personally I'd prefer Aunt May to go out peacefully like she "did" in #400. She deserves that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    They've never said that. They say things like "End of Spider-Man!?" or "Do you think this is it for ol' Peter Parker!?" to wind people up, but anything beyond that is speculative reading.

And it wouldn't be the first time they've said this, either. Not even the first time Wacker has said it.
    Pretty sure Wacker did say something similar.

But he says a lot of stuff. Those eyes just reel you in and you can't help but believe him.

Damn that man.

-Theophilus

That's why they pay him the big bucks, Cyber

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

You guys think Pete's last year as Spidey is going to converge on MC2 where he gets crippled in one leg, retires, marries MJ, then has May? Hmmm…
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601