Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Superman #8 Discussion

Pretty nice issue.

Although Helspont was an editorially mandated villain I think that Giffen/Jurgens used him efficiently to contrast Superman's nature about how despite Clark being different than the rest of humanity, he was raised by kind people who taught him to do better, the dialogue expressed this perfectly, jyust like most of Giffen's work.

I have to mention that Jurgens' art actually makes Superman's costume work, he makes it both dynamic and unique though is still not my favorite.

Giffen/Jurgens' non mandated story starts next issue, I'm sure that would be even better.

I found Helspont to be incredibly one note and uninteresting. He does nothing new and the fight is rather dull. He just gets punched through a mountain and left to do....whatever. The fight wasn't interesting (There was nothing to indicate that Helspont was capable of beating supes), and to be honest the whole "The humans will eventually hate you!" angle has been played so much with Superman I groan every time it gets brought up. I think the only positive thing I can say about Helspont as a character is that his design was kinda cool, but that's about it.

Very weak in my opinion. I hope it picks up again next issue.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrman View Post
    I found Helspont to be incredibly one note and uninteresting. He does nothing new and the fight is rather dull. He just gets punched through a mountain and left to do....whatever. The fight wasn't interesting (There was nothing to indicate that Helspont was capable of beating supes),
    Helspont was supposed to be one of the strongest villains in the Wildstorm universe and also one of Mister Majestic's (Superman analogue) archenemies so I guess there was a great possibility that he could give a good fight.

Also, based on some comments from Wildstorm fans, Helspont dialogue here was completely on character.

and to be honest the whole "The humans will eventually hate you!" angle has been played so much with Superman I groan every time it gets brought up. I think the only positive thing I can say about Helspont as a character is that his design was kinda cool, but that's about it.
    Well, that angle has'nt been used for the DCNU Superman I believe, and he got over it almost immediately.

On Vacation

Boring fight. Great dialogue. 2 overpowered characters never getting hurt. well that just sums up this whole chapter. I wonder though if Grifter will be fighting a demonitie controlled Superman in the future.

I really liked this issue. I’m starting to understand what DC is doing with Helspont. The guy is a copy of Dr. Doom, only he’s some sort of cosmic guy instead of a dude with a country. He’s arrogant like Doom, he talks like Doom, and he strikes out whenever someone doesn’t want to follow his orders. That’s probably why this comic works so well.

I reviewed it with pictures in the link in my signature.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I really liked this issue. I’m starting to understand what DC is doing with Helspont. The guy is a copy of Dr. Doom, only he’s some sort of cosmic guy instead of a dude with a country. He’s arrogant like Doom, he talks like Doom, and he strikes out whenever someone doesn’t want to follow his orders. That’s probably why this comic works so well.

I reviewed it with pictures in the link in my signature.
    I think he's actually more like Darkseid or Mongul, really arrogant and powerful. I don't know much about the Wildstorm universe so it would be great if someone could give some explanation about the character previous portrayals.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Boring fight. Great dialogue. 2 overpowered characters never getting hurt. well that just sums up this whole chapter. I wonder though if Grifter will be fighting a demonitie controlled Superman in the future.
    Oh don't start with the overpowered bs.

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

Disappointed

When I saw the pictures of Superman and Helspont about to fight each other, I was pumped. I thought this was going to be a good idea. Helspont could make an excellent villain for Superman. I was expecting something epic to happen. Either some major damage or Helspont leaving a big mark on Superman either physically or psychologically.

These two issues were bland at best. I could have wrote something better if I had control of these two.

I'll be skipping the next book. The next villain looks completely ridiculous, like on the levels of Live-Wire pathetic

Well let's start with some positives.

Dig the art, as usual. Aside from some panels that went too far with the suit-shine, but otherwise excellent.
    I like Superman's voice. To me it matches even more with the younger Superman in Action. Some of the lines are kinda corny, but he does the same thing on occasion in Action as well.
    Clark and Jimmy rooming together should be a hoot.

The big negative though...you could really tell these first two issues of the run were editorially mandated. It was a wham-bam-thank you ma'am couple of issues in terms of Superman vs. Helspont, which pretty clearly illustrates how Jurgens and Giffen were forced to include it. Its a quick introduction to a character editorial wanted introduced here, and unless ordered again, is not at all in the future plans for this run. The story these two writers want to tell doesn't start till next month, in other words, which is disappointing because this title needed to start impressing more right away becasue people are walking away.

I wish they would've let them do their Masochist story first, so at least they got to do their own thing right away without intereference, and maybe do these two issues as a short two-parter in the summer or something.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-25-2012 at 08:07 PM.

I thought this was really good
    The dialog was just great and conflict was interesting

pretty much hellspont is just this dangerous being who can easily be a danger for earth but he doesnt care he just wants to go back to get revenge on the deamonites
    so he proposes to Superman, help me return to get revenge and i will give you this planet, meaning he would let earth un-touch
    is basically a win-win situation for all parties but is a moral dilema for superman cause Hellspont is basically a villain

and its handle really well

the fight scene wasnt great but it wasnt boring
    and the art was pretty good

I give it an 8 out of 10
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Well, that angle has'nt been used for the DCNU Superman I believe,

Seriously? Did you miss the first arc?

and he got over it almost immediately.
    He made it abundantly clear: there's nothing for him to get over because the differences between humans and him mean nothing to him. You pretty much mention that in your opening post...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Seriously? Did you miss the first arc?
    I stopped reading after issue 3 because it was boring and dated.

He made it abundantly clear: there's nothing for him to get over because the differences between humans and him mean nothing to him. You pretty much mention that in your opening post...
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Boring plot, over the top dialogues that read like silver or gold age, and bad inking that looks like silver age art.

Is this book published in the past and brought to 2012 through a wormhole or something?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Boring plot, over the top dialogues that read like silver or gold age, and bad inking that looks like silver age art.

Is this book published in the past and brought to 2012 through a wormhole or something?
    When was the last time that you read a Silver Age comic?.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I stopped reading after issue 3 because it was boring and dated.
    Then, in all seriousness, you didn't even read those three issues properly - the anti-Superman/alien stuff has been there since issue 1. It's especially there in issue 3 with McCoy's 'documentary' about Superman.