Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I am REALLY looking forward to the Abe comics... can't wait to see the "evolution" of his character.

I find it curious that after Exorcism, BPRD returned to a single issue per month briefly only to have so many come out at the end of the year. It makes me wonder if perhaps there is some event at the end of the year that had to have the stories carefully coordinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I find it curious that after Exorcism, BPRD returned to a single issue per month briefly only to have so many come out at the end of the year. It makes me wonder if perhaps there is some event at the end of the year that had to have the stories carefully coordinated.
    Uhm, yes, although, well, this is the B.P.R.D. which doesn't abide by rules or regularity, more than any other fictional team or Bureau - federal or otherwise?

Also since stuff has been brewing or proving in exceptional turmoil for months and months if not years already, as much as how the world could seem to be ending?

Plus to me the B.P.R.D. and Hellboy seem very unique in keeping the coolness and story imaginativeness to being the main incentive:

which is why it w ould not be about being merely straightforward or well regulated or informative totally all the time, or at all. It's more that readers may be to rest assured as with anticipating things to being unanticipatible, which for storytelling or imaginativeness will be the best approach.

I never keep track of what will be coming out when exactly, as I simply know that anything Hellverse- or Mignola-wise coming out will be worth my while, which in itself will be quite exceptional.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

All I really meant was, when it comes to December, some very big things will likely happen across multiple BPRD books. It's something we've never seen before.

All I really meant was, when it comes to December, some very big things will likely happen across multiple BPRD books. It's something we've never seen before.
    It was a fine post to make, really, I didn't respond to it to counter it or find anything wrong with it - I could have specified better in my post that I'd be merely just responding, like for the sake of discussing stuff. If you want I can try to explain myself - but it might get wordy a dash...

All I meant was to be responding something like this:

I personally mostly associate an 'event' within comics as being a bit of a constructed gimmick, not necessarily only as being cheap or hollow - although to me most events within a lot of mainstream storytelling often does appear rather constructed to me, instead of seeming really rooted within material, instead of being organic. Maybe due to writers or teams getting told what to write or make for a number of company-owned titles.

Where Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. would seem and feel different to me, likely due to being creator-owned, both as getting worked out based on an initial vision and intentions as from the beginning.

And as I should have said, you might be sensing stuff rather correctly, as things might well be to really get affected for the BPRD in serious ways, which seems predicted already last winter or even last year - as things getting broken without being to get fixed again. I'd think?

Which would lead me to believe these two things:

1) that any *events*, such as either Hellboy going under, or the B.P.R.D. significantly getting affected or altered, would not be coming from out of the blue, but be deeply rooted in how the title(s) would have been panning out from pretty much the getgo. As such being developments having developed organically or from within itself - as being developments which the stories for themselves would have been needing or demanding;

2) that f any such "organicalness" would be a major point to the title(s), f their narratives would pivot around genuine mystery and imaginativeness, than I'd say it would be logical and to be expected that the stories could potentially be knocking fans and readers off their socks, like mistifying them or even shocking them or having them at a loss more often than not.

By which I mean to say that for Hellboy or the BPRD it needn't be weird if some of it would be appearing as leaving the reader out to dry for a bit. Like how any of that would be making the experience of reading and re-reading the same of it even for years to come, how that would only be proving the more fun - since there would still be much stuff to consider or ponder on!
    Clearity and careful or strict coordination will be one thing - no, two things, but imaginative narration and enticement might still prove to feel puzzling on occasion - which could be an incentive on its own, since puzzling could be part of the fun?

Plus events or developments seem to be panning beyond any storylines or titles, since any separate story or story-arc may become to be putting things in a new light - in new perspectives - the BPRD for Hellboy or either Hellboy for the BPRD, which again would have seemed part of the fun from even the beginning, when only Hellboy as a title existed, with the BPRD developing within that - part of the fun, also due to story-arcs coming out as limited series most of the time: they are 'limited' due to receiving their separate sequentialness, with then starting over with each new story or arc. I'd think.

Sorry if that seems long or floaty a bit, but that was what I meant to be responding to you, purely for the sake of discussing things, y'know?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    I personally mostly associate an 'event' within comics as being a bit of a constructed gimmick, not necessarily only as being cheap or hollow - although to me most events within a lot of mainstream storytelling often does appear rather constructed to me, instead of seeming really rooted within material, instead of being organic. Maybe due to writers or teams getting told what to write or make for a number of company-owned titles.
    I've always seen an event in a comic as just being a landmark moment or turning point. But sadly, in far too many comics it is a constructed gimmick. But when I talk about an event in BPRD and Hellboy, I definitely mean something character and story based. I couldn't get excited about it otherwise.

The word "event" has been terribly misused by DC and Marvel, sadly.
    Where Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. would seem and feel different to me, likely due to being creator-owned, both as getting worked out based on an initial vision and intentions as from the beginning.
    Exactly. A Hellboy event is not the same as a Superman "event"*.
    *I feel dirty using the word "event" to describe almost anything unfolding in Superman. Maybe replace that word with "tired gimmick".
    By which I mean to say that for Hellboy or the BPRD it needn't be weird if some of it would be appearing as leaving the reader out to dry for a bit. Like how any of that would be making the experience of reading and re-reading the same of it even for years to come, how that would only be proving the more fun - since there would still be much stuff to consider or ponder on!
    Clearity and careful or strict coordination will be one thing - no, two things, but imaginative narration and enticement might still prove to feel puzzling on occasion - which could be an incentive on its own, since puzzling could be part of the fun?
    Actually, I think coordinating these stories is something that will likely be preserved in the eventual trades and omnibus collections. The way Scott Allie juggled around the stories in BPRD Plague of Frogs - Volume 2 has me convinced he's very aware of the final reading experience, the one that will be on shelves for the next 20 years, instead of a single month like the floppies.

When events like these are coordinated properly, the reader shouldn't be aware of them at all. It's odd to say, but the most constructed stories are usually the ones that feel most organic, because their construction comes from the story itself, not outside of it. Structure is the foundation of good storytelling, but it should be as invisible as possible.

I can't help but marvel at it what Mike and co. are doing, because I've never seen anything like it done to this degree in comics before.
    Plus events or developments seem to be panning beyond any storylines or titles, since any separate story or story-arc may become to be putting things in a new light - in new perspectives - the BPRD for Hellboy or either Hellboy for the BPRD, which again would have seemed part of the fun from even the beginning, when only Hellboy as a title existed, with the BPRD developing within that - part of the fun, also due to story-arcs coming out as limited series most of the time: they are 'limited' due to receiving their separate sequentialness, with then starting over with each new story or arc. I'd think.
    That used to be true, but I think with Hell on Earth, at least with the primary minis, the structure has undergone a major shift so that it's more like an ongoing now, with each mini acting as simply a chapter. I've spoken about it before in another post, about how since King of Fear, all the big five-issue minis now have extended codas which have little to do with the story of that mini and focus more on set-up for future stories. Meanwhile the shorter stories Gods, Monsters, The Devil's Engine don't tell complete stories. They focus on a smaller moment that carries over into future stories. The Long Death is the only mini from the primary plotline that returns to the more tradtional closed mini we got used to during the Plague of Frogs cycle.

Hell on Earth has taken on a different approach to it's storytelling, something I appreciate.
    Sorry if that seems long or floaty a bit, but that was what I meant to be responding to you, purely for the sake of discussing things, y'know?
    I know. That's what the forums are for!

Another update:
    So, summer is almost over, even if it feels like it's just started. What can I say? A Cold Day in Hell is wrapped up for my part, well ahead of schedule too, that must be a first.I don't suppose I can show too much yet, but I was happy to get to work on these little guys. For now, I'm back on WWX, still due for 2013...

Sadly this one won't be coming out in November. Maybe January after The Return of the Master?

I didn't think this image could look any cooler but the colord version blew me away, and it revealed we'll be seeing more of Varvara! This is going to be great.

Cover for issue 2:
    Last edited by Middenway; 01-07-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSS.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	110704

Finally. The First issue comes out soon!
    I've waited for This one for so long.
    Last edited by didism; 03-19-2013 at 11:51 PM.

I really enjoyed this issue, but I have to say, I'm really confused about the timeline at present. Wasn't Johann supposed to be in Chicago already? Didn't he leave for Chicago before the Black Flame and all those monsters showed up? This isn't set after Wasteland, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue, but I have to say, I'm really confused about the timeline at present. Wasn't Johann supposed to be in Chicago already? Didn't he leave for Chicago before the Black Flame and all those monsters showed up? This isn't set after Wasteland, is it?
    Count me in the confused mob as well. I hope this wierd, jumpy chronology is not going to be a constant occurence now that the series has regular numbering/one issue a month. It pulls me out of the narrative if I cannot establish when the heck all this is supposed to be happening. And does Abe Sapien's spin off, starting next month, take place concurrently with BPRD? Before Wasteland? After Wasteland?

Still enjoyed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    As far as I can tell, Johann left for Chicago less than 24 hours before the Black Flame woke up all the Ogdru Hem. Anything could've happened to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadcthulhu View Post
    Count me in the confused mob as well. I hope this wierd, jumpy chronology is not going to be a constant occurence now that the series has regular numbering/one issue a month. It pulls me out of the narrative if I cannot establish when the heck all this is supposed to be happening. And does Abe Sapien's spin off, starting next month, take place concurrently with BPRD? Before Wasteland? After Wasteland?

Still enjoyed the issue.
    Johann wasn't in this story (presumably because he's in Chicago). This story follows on from the end of The Return of the Master. I assume we'll catch up on what Johann's doing when we get to Wasteland, and I'm pretty sure when you get to that story it'll make it clear whether it's set at the same time as A Cold Day in Hell or after.

I imagine that just like The Long Death and The Devil's Engine both stories are roughly unfolding at the same time, but I haven't read the story yet, so it could really be set any time after The Return of the Master. Have to wait until May to find out.

I guess The Abyss of Time just threw everyone a bit sideways. That story unfortunately was scheduled to come out November and December at the same time as The Return of the Master #4 and 5, but all those plans changed when it was decided to make the series a monthly ongoing. It was a hang-over from the old release system, and everything got bumped back two months as a result. Going forward things should be much smoother, as they are written knowing what kind of schedule they're going to be released in.

And there's no need to worry about the Abe Sapien spin-off. It's very clear about when it's set. It's also very good.
    Last edited by Middenway; 03-20-2013 at 06:22 AM.