I have one potential dislike, but it depends on a revelation one way or the other. If the hintings in the first Superman arc, that Lois might know Clark is Superman, become unfounded or ignored completely and she in fact doesn't know, that'll be the one thing on my list. I have little interest in reverting to dumb-Lois. Being in her unique position: a person close to both sides of the dual identity, AND being an investigative reporter to boot, it makes complete sense to me that she'd figure it out on her own eventually despite Clark's mastery of dual role.
Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-26-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Perry ought to know, too.
Jimmy is a 'maybe' - he may just dismiss it as 'too good to be true'.
All three of them, though, would understand and appreciate why Clark didn't reveal it and would protect The Secret (and him) even without him knowing they know.
There's even more as the arc continues, but I won't spoil it since you've said you just read the first two issues thus far.
I hate the skirt!
Even as a small child I couldn't figure out why a flying girl would EVER want to wear a dress.
Then, with the last version, we got up-skirt-a-palooza, which just got ridiculous - as bad as Ma Kent whipping up a fresh batch 'O capes, post-Crisis. The "Super-Maxi," also offers a fix to the great design imbalance problem Superman's f'ugly suit has. The thing needs more red in the middle. The seems are just ludicrous & I can't see how, given the revelations of the suit, serve any purpose. They're just Lee's love of intricacy run amok.
Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.
1. no marriage
2. seems low powered
3. dead Kents
Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...
1) the fact it's another stinking reboot. Wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't just had SECRET ORIGIN two years ago and BIRTHRIGHT for about 10 minutes before that!! I'm sick of seeing Superman constantly rebooted and having his history erased wholesale every time he hits a sales slump.
2) by that token, they've erased pretty much everything of the last 25-30 years...EXCEPT the DEATH OF SUPERMAN? How does that work? If you have to radically retool the story to get it to fit,what's the point of keeping it? If he isn't engaged/married to Lois and the Kent's are both dead, and Superboy/Conner is debuting now...you can't do the "death and return" saga as was. It should be gone too.
3) the suit. I don't HATE the design itself. I just hate the idea it's supposed to be some kind of armor. Dan Jurgens is the only one so far that can draw it like armor and make it look ok. That aspect of it needs to go.
3) The renumbering. I can understand SUPERMAN being renumbered...but ACTION (and DETECTIVE for that matter) should NEVER have been renumbered. Ever. There's something to be said for respecting the past.
4)the 5 year time scale. Too restrictive, especially when talking about the other characters who retained a large portion of their past continuity (Aquaman, Batman group and Green Lantern group). Even though Superman is supposed to be their contemporary, it makes him feel like a "rookie", as his past is largely a blank slate to us long time readers.
5) the messed up bangs when he's Clark. It's okay when Clark is a newbie upstart in ACTION, but you'd think he would start to look more professional in 5 years time, especially now that he's working for Perry White. We don't need to see him in fedoras and blue suits again, but for gods sake, comb your hair, C. K.
6) Lois being put on the back burner. It's getting better now, but the first four or so months of the reboot, she was barely there! Even if she isn't his wife anymore, Lois Lane should ALWAYS be his main co-star.
Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-27-2012 at 03:45 AM.
I don't care, I've 'retconned' it to 12 years ago (and even then it's tight)
12 years ago: Batman starts (he's around 20); 'Superboy' is a 'country legend' (he's around 15)
11.5 years ago: Death of the Graysons
11 years ago: Dick is recruited (he's 11) (still not comfortable with his age being so close to Kal's, though, or the 'small' gap between him and Bruce); Bruce and Talia tango (this is either when Damien was conceived or when the mingled genetic material was obtained...)
7 years ago: Superman goes public; Jason begins training
6 years and 4 months ago: Superman saves Metropolis from The Collector
6 years and 3 months ago: Clark Kent joins The Daily Planet
6 years ago: Aquaman is revealed; Dick is now Nightwing and Jason is Robin
5 years and 5 months ago: Barry becomes The Flash; Aquaman and The Others team up; Aquaman rescues Oliver Queen
5 years and 2 months ago: Diana comes to Man's World and Hal becomes Earth's Green Lantern; Barry and Hal meet and encounter Grodd
5 years ago: JLA is formed, Batman is no longer an 'urban legend' and Darkseid is defeated (oh, and Vic becomes 'Cyborg')
4.5 years ago: J'onn joins the JLA
4 years ago: Jason dies; J'onn 'tests' the JLA and finds them lacking; Barbara becomes Batgirl; Lois discovers The Secret
3.5 years ago: Tim is recruited (Bruce isn't keen on this)
3 years ago: Tim is Robin; Barbara is shot
2.5 years ago: Jason returns
2 years ago: Damien seeks out Bruce
1.8 years ago: Superman 'dies'
1.5 years ago: Bruce 'dies' and Dick becomes Batman
1 year ago: Superman returns (this one is hard to place as the indications are that it's relatively recent but also that he only recently returned to Metropolis..and we don't yet know where he had been, so it may be that he came back from the dead and then left Metropolis for a while)
0.5 years ago: Bruce returns and starts up Inc; split with Tim
Couple of months ago: Superboy awakes; Tim is behind 'NuWikiLeaks'
1 month ago: New Daily Planet building is unveiled, 'alien attack' in Metropolis; Superboy hunts down the Teens; JLA fights Amazo; Green Arrow tries to join the JLA
A few weeks ago: second 'alien attack'; Superboy 'escapes'; Green Arrow is still trying to join the JLA
A couple of weeks ago: Court of Owls attacks Gotham, JLA lend a hand and Green Arrow is still trying to join them
Over the course of the past week: Kara lands on Earth, is attacked, attacks Kal, finds out Krypton is gone, is lured into a trap, exposed to Kryptonite, escapes, destroys a multi-billion dollar satellite and unwittingly leaves some of her blood behind, finds Argo, encounters Reign, is left for dead, returns to Earth and saves it from a team of (incompetent) Worldkillers, attacked by humans, meets Siobhan, flees with her, goes to a bar and 'meets' Siobhan's dad (insert parts yet untold); Superman is 'replaced' and starts exercising a firm hand on Metropolis; Kara spots Superboy, talks to him and then smacks him around a little, tells him he's going to be a killer, heads to Metropolis, catches McCoy and encounters doppleganger of Kal-El, gets smacked around, is saved by the real Kal-El (insert parts yet untold)
A day ago: Clark agrees to pick up Lucy from the station on Lois' behalf and that Jimmy can stay at his place for a while, ends up tangoing with Helspont and getting in Lucy's bad book
Dr Sivana starts his hunt
I've left out the JLI and JLD stuff and it seems the Captain Ma...Shazam stuff hasn't happened yet as it's not yet Christmas...
Nah, things are much more relaxed these days...5) the messed up bangs when he's Clark. It's okay when Clark is a newbie upstart in ACTION, but you'd think he would start to look more professional in 5 years time, especially now that he's working for Perry White. We don't need to see him in fedoras and blue suits again, but for gods sake, comb your hair, C. K.
I prefer the 5 years ago timeline. I mean, I can sympathize on the Batman end of things as yes, its a tight fit. But not impossible. The Robin "intern" idea is kinda silly but at the same time it manages the problem, if not ideally. And putting that aside for a moment and just looking at the Superman franchise itself, I don't see any potential issues whatsoever with the 5 year window. 12 years is way way too long.
Oh, and I got one more. Nitpicky aesthetic thing but I don't know why they're going out of their way now to eliminate the loop at the end of the S, while at the same time making sure that Kon has it. I would think if they wanted some slight diversification between Kal, Kara, and Kon's shields, it'd be Superman who'd have the one closest to the trademark. I like the loop. :(
Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.
1. Age; Superman doesn't need to be this young. I do like the more "social crusader" angle but I don't see why he has to be so young, in fact it's a major turn off for me. Not because I somehow begrudge younger heroes but it's Superman not Superboy (not that there's anything wrong with Superboy).
Where does it reference that Superman died in the new continuity? I missed that.
Reading: A Comics, Superman, Superboy, Batman, B&R, Nightwing, G Lantern, GL:NG, The Flash, J League, T Titans, Earth 2, World's Finest and Smallville S.11!
Watching: Young Justice.