Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 157
  1. #1
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,821

    Default Things you dislike about the DCnU Superman.

    Well you all new it was just a matter of time before I started this. I will start a thread as well for those who like the new Superman as well so we have equal ground. (Although you won't see me in it)

    I created this thread for those who dislike the DCnU Superman. Please just allow those who remark to do so without having to get into a discussion about why they do not like it.

    I would like to keep this and the other thread I made for those who like it to be non confrontational.

    Thank You

    Here is what I dislike about the DCnU Superman.

    1. The Suit - You all know I started a thread about this already so I won' go into details about it and bore you all to death by repeating myself.

    2. Younger Superman - I really dislike this. I feel he needs to be at least in his very late 20's or early 30's. He just looks and feels to much like Superboy rather then Man.

    3. Kent's being Dead - I came to really enjoy the Kent's being alive over the years. I have been reading comics for over 30 years and seen both the Kent's Dead and Alive. I think having them alive adds more to the story.

    4. The fact the Kent's didn't make his suit - WOW.. I could go on forever about how sad this makes me. It's like taking away a piece of his humanity in a way. The suit was a labor of love in many ways so Clark could have a somewhat normal life and to be a Symbol at the same time.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 04-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    2. Younger Superman - I really dislike this. I feel he needs to be at least in his very late 20's or early 30's. He just looks and feels to much like Superboy rather then Man.
    He IS in his late 20's. Looking at all the timeline clues in Action of when he first came to Metropolis, adding 6 months because of Lex's "when he showed up six months ago" line from Action #1, adding the 6 months between the end of Action 8 and Justice League 1 (according to comments by Johns about exactly how long after action's first arc the first issue of JL happens), then adding the 5 years, he is at LEAST 27 in the present-day Superman book. If anything, I'd put him closer to 28 or even as high as 29. It's all there in the book, so I guess you can cross that off your list of complaints.

  3. #3
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    He IS in his late 20's. Looking at all the timeline clues in Action of when he first came to Metropolis, adding 6 months because of Lex's "when he showed up six months ago" line from Action #1, adding the 6 months between the end of Action 8 and Justice League 1 (according to comments by Johns about exactly how long after action's first arc the first issue of JL happens), then adding the 5 years, he is at LEAST 27 in the present-day Superman book. If anything, I'd put him closer to 28 or even as high as 29. It's all there in the book, so I guess you can cross that off your list of complaints.

    How old was he in Action Volume 2 #1. Did Morrison give a actual age?

    He looks like he is 18 or 19.

  4. #4
    Senior Member adkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    He IS in his late 20's. Looking at all the timeline clues in Action of when he first came to Metropolis, adding 6 months because of Lex's "when he showed up six months ago" line from Action #1, adding the 6 months between the end of Action 8 and Justice League 1 (according to comments by Johns about exactly how long after action's first arc the first issue of JL happens), then adding the 5 years, he is at LEAST 27 in the present-day Superman book. If anything, I'd put him closer to 28 or even as high as 29. It's all there in the book, so I guess you can cross that off your list of complaints.
    Personally, I peg him at a maximum of 27.

  5. #5

    Default

    A lot of the artists seem to draw him as looking young--like as if he's in his teens. I don't understand that. Even in some comics where heroes are supposed to be in their teens they look older than this current Superman.

  6. #6
    Senior Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,785

    Default

    The costume is Kryptonian.

    The costume is a shape-shifter.

    The costume looks like really uncomfortable underwear.

    The costume is apparently metallic? Seems to have different looks depending on the artist. They may be trying to emphasize the other-worldly nature of it. See dislike #1.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 04-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    How old was he in Action Volume 2 #1. Did Morrison give a actual age?

    He looks like he is 18 or 19.
    Morrison in an interview put him and Jimmy in their early 20's. Now add on what Space_Butler side and you got his age.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    How old was he in Action Volume 2 #1. Did Morrison give a actual age?

    He looks like he is 18 or 19.
    I figure being a working journalist he'd finished high school and probably a two year college program maybe four year. I think the age range that was aimed at was 20-25, I lean toward him being toward the middle of that range.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Fate's Faith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Well you all new it was just a matter of time before I started this. I will start a thread as well for those who like the new Superman as well so we have equal ground. (Although you won't see me in it)

    Here is what I dislike about the DCnU Superman.

    1. The Suit - You all know I started a thread about this already so I won' go into details about it and bore you all to death by repeating myself.

    2. Younger Superman - I really dislike this. I feel he needs to be at least in his very late 20's or early 30's. He just looks and feels to much like Superboy rather then Man.

    3. Kent's being Dead - I came to really enjoy the Kent's being alive over the years. I have been reading comics for over 30 years and seen both the Kent's Dead and Alive. I think having them alive adds more to the story.

    4. The fact the Kent's didn't make his suit - WOW.. I could go on forever about how sad this makes me. It's like taking away a piece of his humanity in a way. The suit was a labor of love in many ways so Clark could have a somewhat normal life and to be a Symbol at the same time.
    Really the only one I might have a problem with is the Kents being dead. I've seen both but i wouldn't have wanted to make that decision but I see benefits of not having a home to run to. The rest are pretty much things I like. The suit and younger. On who made the suit, I never cared for the old standard that his mom did because indestructable except to her Kryptonite Sewing Machine?! It sounds like a possible Silver Age story... theives steal the sewing machine that made his suit and now criminals are taking over in indestructable uniforms made with it!

  10. #10
    Junior Member Rainzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    How old was he in Action Volume 2 #1. Did Morrison give a actual age?

    He looks like he is 18 or 19.
    Morrison made a comment on how a 17 year old child would not want to wear a costume made by his mom. This may mean he is 17 in action...so 5 years from action will actuall make him 23 in present time

  11. #11
    From putty 2 orange Ontir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the Burnt Over State!
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    I'm not wild about both Kents being gone. I really don't see a need for it. IF they'd had Clark arrive in the 20's, and begin his career in the 30's, have a life with Lana & then, as a widower, move onto a new life in Metropolis, enter Lois, THAT would've been cool!

    The suit. My GOD is that one f'ugly piece 'O dung!
    The idea behind it is cool, but the execution should be executed.
    When Lee came up with the, far superior, Supergirl design, he should've gone back to the drawing board on Superman!
    * *

    Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Morrison made a comment on how a 17 year old child would not want to wear a costume made by his mom. This may mean he is 17 in action...so 5 years from action will actuall make him 23 in present time
    I'm pretty sure he was speaking figuratively. You have to ask why a newspaper, ANY paper, would hire a 17 year old as a reporter. Plus, taken literally, it contradicts many other things he said that are much more explicit in talking about age (like the one Superlad93 was talking about).

  13. #13
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Morrison made a comment on how a 17 year old child would not want to wear a costume made by his mom. This may mean he is 17 in action...so 5 years from action will actuall make him 23 in present time
    Well he started doing in costumed "good deeds" way before he got to the city (way before Action) we saw this in Action comics #6 where him and his dad are stopping a bull.

  14. #14

    Default

    The main thing that bugs me is implying that Superman actually needs armor. It's not the design of the suit, just that he's wearing something stronger than he is.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Rainzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was speaking figuratively. You have to ask why a newspaper, ANY paper, would hire a 17 year old as a reporter. Plus, taken literally, it contradicts many other things he said that are much more explicit in talking about age (like the one Superlad93 was talking about).
    Well, I think he is in his mid twenties though...not at least 27, but at most 27...not that it really matters though

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •