Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SPIDEY: Steve Wacker Discusses What Drives the Spider-Man

In honor of Spider-Man's 50th anniversary, editor Steve Wacker joins CBR to examine the various aspects aspects of Spidey's life starting with a look at what drives the character and the moments that shaped him.

Full article here.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Great interview, but this has me feeling nervous:

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker
    As Pete goes up against Doc Ock, you might just be wondering if Pete has gone as far as he can go as Spider-Man!
    Nervous in a good way. I think...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

The part about him only being able to exist in New York is spot on. I've always thought that if I were a Spidey villain, it would be prudent to set up a quick way to get out of the city. No way Spider-Man follows you, he would just swing to the last skyscraper and get stuck there. Like hitting an invisible wall in a video game!
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The part about him only being able to exist in New York is spot on. I've always thought that if I were a Spidey villain, it would be prudent to set up a quick way to get out of the city. No way Spider-Man follows you, he would just swing to the last skyscraper and get stuck there. Like hitting an invisible wall in a video game!
    Spidey will follow you.

And we will get another "The Commuter Cometh."
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Spidey will follow you.

And we will get another "The Commuter Cometh."
    He still has yet to visit Aunt May and her new husband at their new place in Boston.

Also, this caught my attention:

I think we're going to see more of Pete not knowing who to turn to. He doesn't have a ton of close people in his life. Harry is gone. Flash is Venom, which he doesn't know but it keeps him busy. Like you mentioned, Aunt May is gone. He does have this job at Horizon Labs with new people, and we haven't seen whether or not these people will become friends with Peter.

With anyone who Pete becomes friends with, there's going to be a natural distance because he can't talk about who he is completely. I think you hit on something in your question. I think there's a lack of "personal" life for Peter Parker as opposed to the very full life for Spider-Man, and that's going to have a cost. That goes back to what I said about the core of the strip. Spider-Man works because it's about the toll that being Spider-Man plays on Peter Parker's personal life. That's the mythology we're playing with...

There was a recent moment with Mary Jane at the end of "Spider-Island" that will end up being pretty huge. They're sitting together on the Empire State Building and she's pointing out just how much the city loves him. We see them getting close, and I think that will be huge once you see what we have coming up.
    Methinks your idea of Mary Jane being publicly outed as Spider-Man's girlfriend--but not Peter's--may have gotten some traction, it seems.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 04-25-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

It's really quite awesome to see Wacker in a proper interview, his responses and tone are in such contrast that his replies on this board

HOWEVER, he really should give at least some hints about the "Peter no longer being Spider-Man" he keeps talking about What could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Methinks your idea of Mary Jane being publicly outed as Spider-Man's girlfriend--but not Peter's--may have gotten some traction, it seems.
    Oh no. You're gonna try to turn me into the new you. NNOO!
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

You mean being wrong about predictions?

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Since I am stillanerd's new protegee, I will have to start making predictions.

We'll start with an issue where Spider-Man gets locked in a vault with Mr. Mooney.

(Wait a minute. That was The Lucy Show!)

My Facebook page

Good interview. i REeally cant wait tp see what happens to MJ and Peter
    X-men,Wolverine,Spider-Man,Invaders,Nick Fury Sr,Black Widow,Cap BUcky

Good interview.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

I also think he can be on a team and still be a loner. I think there are plenty of us who are somewhat apart from the world we live in, either as part of a family or work environment. We don't feel like we're part of a team, yet we go into work every day. We're around people. We might be part of a "club," yet still feel like we're individuals.
    Don't I know how that feels. Thanks for putting that in Wacker.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Pros: It's good to see Wacker being honest about why Spider-Man has suddenly joined a bunch of teams.

Cons: It's disppointing to see that he's fallen into the guilt trap of the guilt versus responsibility spectrum. It's easy to do, but important not to.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

hehehe It begins!

Quote Originally Posted by beserkerclaw View Post
    Good interview. i REeally cant wait tp see what happens to MJ and Peter
    Agreed it'll be interesting to see what happens between them especially since Wacker said about the SI moment having a part to play.