Default intermediate skill level artist looking for tips

Heya.

So for the artists out there - what is your approach to designing memorable characters/ clothing/ technology/ spaceships etc...? I am struggling to come up with outfits for my characters that arent just another variation of the same tshirt over and over again. Thats just one example. I have the uncomfortable feeling that at least a part of my problem is that i havent been practicing enough but i would love to hear about a shortcut if one exists.maybe a better question to ask would be "how do you get excited to draw something that doesnt excite you?"

look up folk costumes from all over the world for inspiration, that's what I do, also I think of a cool character from a movie sometimes and try to base the clothes off of that guy-bot copying but trying to make a variation, for example a medieval archer character but based on design of clint eastwood in good the bad and the ugly

Check out "fzd school" on YouTube, his examples of using silouttes for characters is fantastic. Change the shapes up a
    Bit for example body types will be the main thing, big boots, boot cut jeans a trench coat, hat, glasses, hair all of which should give you more than enough to play with. Enjoy the YouTube clips.

I only draw and paint in my lunchtimes I am not a professional but you can check out my work here:
    Http://ianschofield.deviantart.com

Thanks. I have a tendency to only draw one or two body types and maybe 3 different outfits. I've been thinking fashion design would help but I've never really cared for fashion before. If I could get myself interested in fashion then I could probably have very fashionable characters - like Takeshi Obata.