View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates #9?

Voters
73. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue!

63 86.30%
  • Good. I enjoy where this story is going

8 10.96%
  • Meh. Could have been better, but I didn't hate it.

2 2.74%
  • I don't really care for this story.

0 0%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

0 0%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I like Reed as a villain don't get me wrong. I just felt the transition from hero to villain was done poorly. It was unique and something fresh for sure though.
    It was done poorly. We still have no clue what occurred between the time Reed and his family were blown up to the moment Reed was shown next to the portal.
    One theory I had was that the Reed who was caught in the explosion is actually the good Reed but he has been replaced by the evil Reed. It would explain this scene.

This has been getting better and better. Waiting for more
    Thing of the naow: Please let Scott Summer die in AVX

Wow. I second your one word review, wow! This comic was amazing. I went back and reread issues 7 and 8 before reading this and am amazed. So, I'm a little confused, this is Ribic's last time drawing ultimates? And what did you mean by this is Hickman's last time alone with the ultimates? I had hoped he would have stayed on through 12 issues. I know Hickman is getting avengers, right? Where is Ribic going next?

But yes, wow! I can't wait to see where this comic will go next.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Pandastrike View Post
    Wow. I second your one word review, wow! This comic was amazing. I went back and reread issues 7 and 8 before reading this and am amazed. So, I'm a little confused, this is Ribic's last time drawing ultimates? And what did you mean by this is Hickman's last time alone with the ultimates? I had hoped he would have stayed on through 12 issues. I know Hickman is getting avengers, right? Where is Ribic going next?

Hickman will be co-authoring with Sam Humpriries for the next 2 issues I think. I have no idea were Asad Ribic is going but hopefully he is part of some new Ultimate series in the future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pandastrike View Post
    She-Hulk will return.

Commander Dark Guard CaptainMarvell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    It was done poorly. We still have no clue what occurred between the time Reed and his family were blown up to the moment Reed was shown next to the portal.
    One theory I had was that the Reed who was caught in the explosion is actually the good Reed but he has been replaced by the evil Reed. It would explain this scene.
    Wow! I hadn't read this one yet, but yeah, it definitely looks like there might have been some sort of switch-a-roo here. This doesn't look like he's faking his death. Hickman is/was writing for Reed in Ultimates and he has a history of having stories involving multiple Reeds.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor51 View Post
    Plawsky, have your feelings changed on Doomsday's ending in the wake of what Hickman's done with Reed since? When it came out, you were quite vocal about your disappointment with the series not giving us the epic conclusion you were looking for and/or how you felt like a perceived plot trajectory change midway through really hurt the series.

I think that it's pretty clear Bendis probably reworked his ending, maybe even at Hickman's request, to accommodate Reed being used again when he saw what was coming down the pipes, so rather than mind-blowing finale we got an ominous "he'll be back." Just wondering if viewing it as part of a whole changes your opinion or anything.
    My complaints weren't really about Reed being a villain; I was fine with that. I even thought it was explained pretty well, though I'm still curious as to what happened when Reed was "blown up" in Ultimate Enemy. My problem was with the pacing of the story. It was pretty much all set up, forcing the climax and ending into the last one or two issues. Reed being left alive was great, and it served as a decent "to be continued" ending of that plot, but there was plenty more left without conclusion. Mahr Vehl and Nova's presence were hardly important. We still don't know what the hell Nova's purpose was as foretold by the Watchers, and both characters were left without a place to go at the ending. There was also the stupid Nick Fury's eyepatch thing.

Overall, Bendis really didn't do much with the 12-issue series. It was basically just a long, drawn out story to tell us that Reed turned evil, Ben lost his rocks, and Spider-woman joined SHIELD. There was no explanation of what Reed was trying to do and very little sense of closure at the end. It's fine if he wanted to leave some stuff open for Hickman to continue, but there still needs to be an ending to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    Character redemption in 4 line or less. Brilliant.
    Exactly. Hickman demonstrated in a small space that he had a complete understanding and mastery of one of the most complex sibling relationships in comics. I'd really like to see him write the Gunnar Golmen version of Loki.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    That was one of my gripes with Ultimate Doomsday. To this day we've literally gotten no explanation as to this scene. If he was setting it up like that to kill them, he'd have no reason to have acted that way considering that they'd be dead soon and yet he tried to stop his dad from opening the door. We really need some explanation there.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Overall, Bendis really didn't do much with the 12-issue series. It was basically just a long, drawn out story to tell us that Reed turned evil, Ben lost his rocks, and Spider-woman joined SHIELD. There was no explanation of what Reed was trying to do and very little sense of closure at the end. It's fine if he wanted to leave some stuff open for Hickman to continue, but there still needs to be an ending to the story.
    You make valid points about it being a jumble of story. But that's one of the strengths of the series, it's basically a tour of the UU that no other series really did. Ultimate Galactus kind of did it but the Ultimate Doomsday trilogy was more ground-level and I really love it for that.
    Comics are more better.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarvell View Post
    Wow! I hadn't read this one yet, but yeah, it definitely looks like there might have been some sort of switch-a-roo here. This doesn't look like he's faking his death. Hickman is/was writing for Reed in Ultimates and he has a history of having stories involving multiple Reeds.
    What is funny is that Reed outright says he didn't fake his death or attack the world. Sure he might be insane or evil but what would be the need to lie except that he is telling the truth.

On Vacation

So I just twittered Dean White and just directly asked him if he was going to be a colorist after Ultimates 9 (becauce when in doubt just directly ask the person) and he said no. But he did mention something interesting He said will be back with Esad Ribic later in the year. Whether that means he will be back for the Ultimates or something new I haven't figured it out yet.

Name a comic and the last 10 years that have the balls to blow up the heart and brain of the U.S Washington D.C. People say Marvel isn't the House of Ideas i call bullshit because they just killed the President and all DC. How can Caps choice be bigger than this DAMN I want the next issue last year.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    Name a comic and the last 10 years that have the balls to blow up the heart and brain of the U.S Washington D.C. People say Marvel isn't the House of Ideas i call bullshit because they just killed the President and all DC. How can Caps choice be bigger than this DAMN I want the next issue last year.
    Actually it turns out it was just the House of Representatives that was blown up as shown in the previews of Ultimates 10. The area around it is damaged but Washington DC is fine. Though chances are the president is dead so there's still that.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 04-28-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    I can't believe this issue didn't make the news. Mister Fantastic just killed President Obama. During an election year.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I can't believe this issue didn't make the news. Mister Fantastic just killed President Obama. During an election year.
    Think Marvel's trying to tell us something?