Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Maybe DC hates it's old fans because sales weren't there before the relaunch. Maybe DC's older fans became too old and died off or something. DC now loves the support of the youth and swayed Marvel fans (who are generally fiercely staunch supporters of anything) for making the New 52 a success.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In fact, he did. During the late 1960s, the Flash and Kid Flash appeared in a series of animated shorts. This was the first-ever (and thus far, only) animated series to star Flash as the title character.

Obviously, in that era, Flash was Barry Allen and Kid Flash was Wally West.

Here's its opening sequence:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Ugh, yellow gloves just never look right on Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099 View Post
    I don't feel that DC hates me so much as, like certain TV stations did in pursuit of new demographics, I am part of an audience that has been 'fired' in favor of the new readers. Two things bug me about the DCnU: it continues to slide down the grimdark slope by making everyone mistrust metahumans, everything feels like an X-book now and not in a good way. The other is that they didn't just come out and say why certain things were changed: want to get rid of most of the NTT stuff because there's just no room left, fine, but be up front with it.
    This is pretty much how I feel.

And it hasn't been a bother giving up DC. I was about ready to give up buying new comics anyway. What I don't understand is why so many commercial interests aren't trying to feed the big baby boomer demographic. Even with older people dying off, there's still a huge group of individuals out there who make up the baby boom. Commercial trends have followed that group since the cradle--why not all the way to the grave?

It doesn't make a lot of sense in this economic climate to focus so much on young people, who have no money, are in debt, and probably will be in debt for decades to come. Boomers have money and they are retiring--so they have lots of free time--and unlike previous generations of seniors, they can expect to live in good health for many more years. If I was the free enterprising type, I would be trying to create things that would appeal to that market.

I guess the reprint books are meant to satisfy the boomers. But that seems a lazy kind of venture. There must be other ways to exploit that boomer market.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel.

And it hasn't been a bother giving up DC. I was about ready to give up buying new comics anyway. What I don't understand is why so many commercial interests aren't trying to feed the big baby boomer demographic. Even with older people dying off, there's still a huge group of individuals out there who make up the baby boom. Commercial trends have followed that group since the cradle--why not all the way to the grave?

It doesn't make a lot of sense in this economic climate to focus so much on young people, who have no money, are in debt, and probably will be in debt for decades to come. Boomers have money and they are retiring--so they have lots of free time--and unlike previous generations of seniors, they can expect to live in good health for many more years. If I was the free enterprising type, I would be trying to create things that would appeal to that market.

I guess the reprint books are meant to satisfy the boomers. But that seems a lazy kind of venture. There must be other ways to exploit that boomer market.
    Boomers are brand loyal more. So getting them to try something new is harder. If they've been using Tide detergent for years, they aren't likely to switch to Gain. No matter how many Gain commercials they see. So, they target those who can still be persuaded. Same with television shows. And you also stated another reason, younger people are more likely to be in debt which means they are spenders even if its money they don't have. Older folks are starting to see or are seeing a specific income and that's all they will have. For example, younger people will buy a car because they just want a new car. Older people will buy a car because the old one quit working. Which one do you think a car commercial will influence?

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Boomers are brand loyal more. So getting them to try something new is harder. If they've been using Tide detergent for years, they aren't likely to switch to Gain. No matter how many Gain commercials they see. So, they target those who can still be persuaded. Same with television shows. And you also stated another reason, younger people are more likely to be in debt which means they are spenders even if its money they don't have. Older folks are starting to see or are seeing a specific income and that's all they will have. For example, younger people will buy a car because they just want a new car. Older people will buy a car because the old one quit working. Which one do you think a car commercial will influence?
    But older audiences eventually lose interest and / or die off. You have to also reach out to a younger audience that will (hopefully) become a future long-term consumer.

Years ago there use to be a lot more "beautiful music" ("elevator music") radio stations, but they also had to confront the fact their audiences were slowing fading away (and/or just dying off). So they had to change / adapt to survive. If you wait until the last minute to change, that's sometimes too late.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But older audiences eventually lose interest and / or die off. You have to also reach out to a younger audience that will (hopefully) become a future long-term consumer.
    That's what I'm saying. Older people got into their 'brands' when they were younger and remained loyal. That's why the young are targetted. And the earlier the better. I've no doubt on some level I'm buying DC today because that's what I started with. Marvel can aim advertisements toward me but that money is probably better spent aimed at someone younger.

I don't think DC hates its fans, I just don't think they care one way or the other. If they can make a boosted profit for a few months-to a year by alienating loads of long-time fans, I fully expect them to do it. It would be nice if the world went back to simpler times when comics/movies/tv show etc. where 99% made for the pleasure/fans/fun, and the profit made from selling was considered good even if you simply just made enough to pay the staff and make the next issue/episode.

Not sure where I it on the fan scale or whether I'd be considered longtime or not. Irregardless, before the reboot I was getting 50+ titles. DC completely lost me with the reboot, and as soon as Batman INC/Johns Green Lantern is over DC's main DCNU line will be completely dead to me. I'll simply be getting DC titles not set in the main universe (Batman Beyond/Smallville).

But things don't exist anymore. So brand loyalty doesn't count for anything. It's irrelevant that seniors are brand loyal to Philco televisions.

It kills me that my parents are struggling with their newest television, incapable of operating the thing. They would be so much better off with a computer--where they could watch a ton of programs at any time they want. But they haven't a clue how to operate a computer.

Why not make products for that generation that they can use? Especially as old forms of media and communication are becoming extinct. Many seniors are going to be cut off from society, because they have no access to the new technology and nobody is trying to make things for their needs.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    The more you know. I thought it was part of the Super Friends cartoons as a kid.
    This one actually preceded SUPERFRIENDS by a few years. I don't think Hanna Barbera was involved in this particular toon. The same company, however, also made shows for Superman and Green Lantern around the same time.

This is the first time that Flash and Green Lantern got any play in media outside of comics.

faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkman, et al appeared in the Filmation cartoons in the 60s. These started with Superman (and would include Superboy, Aquaman, and Batman). It's where I saw most of the DC heroes for the first time.

Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkman, et al appeared in the Filmation cartoons in the 60s. These started with Superman (and would include Superboy, Aquaman, and Batman). It's where I saw most of the DC heroes for the first time.
    Yes, you're right...and I do believe that Filmation brought them together as the *Justice League of America.* Not Superfriends, but actual Justice League of America.

phase (n.):

Get it right, people.

But things don't exist anymore. So brand loyalty doesn't count for anything. It's irrelevant that seniors are brand loyal to Philco televisions.

It kills me that my parents are struggling with their newest television, incapable of operating the thing. They would be so much better off with a computer--where they could watch a ton of programs at any time they want. But they haven't a clue how to operate a computer.

Why not make products for that generation that they can use? Especially as old forms of media and communication are becoming extinct. Many seniors are going to be cut off from society, because they have no access to the new technology and nobody is trying to make things for their needs.
    It's a pretty heartless society these days: we seem to discard people even before they're actually gone.

phase (n.):

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yes, you're right...and I do believe that Filmation brought them together as the *Justice League of America.* Not Superfriends, but actual Justice League of America.

Yes they did.

http://youtu.be/9RP8xo4qd8k

And the Teen Titans, too.

http://youtu.be/esZRW8ki6DE

Robin was missing from the Titans line-up, just as Batman was missing from the Justice League. But Filmation would give the Dynamic Duo their own episodes, once they started the Batman/Superman Hour.

My question is what has made this perception so prevalent?

You pretty much answer your own question: it's because of the treatment of several concepts such as Earth 2, etc.

Has DC bringing back some old ideas (The Multiverse, Earth-2 being home to the Justice Society, Barbara Gordon as Batgirl) fueled your belief, or has it caused you to re-think your position?

I haven't seen what they'll do with the concepts mentioned, except for Batgirl. What I've seen of Earth-2, I have not liked. Babs as Batgirl really doesn't matter to me; it's not generally a character I follow.

Has DC done enough to explain their position to you as to why they had to make these changes?

Not at all.

So far, almost a year in, I'm still ambivalent about several things. I think the 'we won't change the current moneymakers except superficially' was a terrible, terrible decision. Change everything, or change nothing.
    But, I got a Nightwing and Superboy and Blue Beetle series again and a Teen Titans series that doesn't suck, so for the most part I'm good with it.