Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Having read Identity Crisis (which I loved and no one needs to convience me otherwise because I loved it), I really appreciated the suggestion that was given that he had known what had happened and just never would acknowledge it. Of course that's my take. But it did cheat him from actively showing what he would have done. And I think its because it wasn't an easy decision and no one wanted to make him look like he could make a mistake.
    That is a tricky situation in a number of ways:

- we could argue and come up with different 'what would Superman do' conclusions and fall into the 'you're not a true Superman fan--no, you're not' etc
    - within the comicverse does Superman have the right to impose things on the other heroes? On anyone?

Some of us liken Superman to being a 'king' but, in essence, he's a 'king without a kingdom'.

Sure, he can smack down the Leaguers for being 'out of line' but wouldn't that just engender animosity?

He could let them know that he knows, but would that result in fear being embedded?

His role certainly isn't an easy one...

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    - Yeah basically. It could be argued that time as we perceive it is simply the Chronovore feeding from its prison. However, he is never satisfied and tries to always have more, which if left unchecked, would lead to the end of the universe.
    I wonder how an encounter between him and the evolved Mr Mind would turn out...

-The way I saw it, he is constantly trying to run away. But maybe someone can have tried to control the Chronovore only to end up becoming the creature's pawn (for some reason, I don't really like the idea of the Chronovore being manipulable). To keep with my Lovecraft analogy, it would like these cults trying to invoke Cthullu and ending up killed or turned into slaves or something.
    No, no one controls it; it's a temporal 'beast'. Directing it and letting it do its thing, however, is another matter. The Time-Trapper, for example, could be one such entity which could bring the Chronovore to a point in time he wants to and then set it free...

-Well, I didn't read the end of Grounded but yeah, a bit like that. I just had that image of people wearing the S t shirt giving medicines in Africa with Superman bringing said medicines from the US.
    - That was pretty much my idea, in a way. Superman realizes how much of an inspiration he is and will be in the future, so he decides to put that influence into good use.

[/QUOTE]

Take a look at it and you'll see what I mean.

You can do anything with just about any character. Now... whether the purists rage or not... that's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    You can do anything with just about any character.
    Very true, but some characters lend themselves better to some storys. Doing, say, a cosmic story is easy with Superman, Silver Surfer or the Doctor, a little trickier to do well with Al Bundy, Nancy Drew or Matlock.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Even the actual Messiah made mistakes (yeah, I went there :P ) so of course Superman should (now and then)...
    The actual Messiah should have learned from Jesus' mistake and never trusted a man named Judas...(The Downfall of "Judas" Olsen; Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #155)

Superman rarely makes a mistake, even killing the Phantom Zone people was good, even though he regretted doing it. I think his biggest mistake was freeing Kandor at the North Pole.
    Last edited by The Frozen Reptile; 04-28-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

I still want a mega-interdimensional-time-spanning-uber-crossover with The Doctor.

It should be crazy, seemingly nonsensical, and make your brain kick into overdrive and your imagination run wild.

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

pretty cool ideas but yeah lots can be done with Superman

so if this is a story idea thread I guess I can try to throw one in here

A Tale of Two Supermen-At a writer's summit/awards place in Dakota, Superman encounters Raquel Ervin who writes for Freeman Books and her employer, an Augustus Freeman with an interesting story, one that is hounded by General Lane and Lex Luthor to be considered for an Anti-Superman project. Superman, Rocket, and Icon team up to take on Oblivion, the alien murderer who is coerced into working with Lane and Luthor to cut a deal for his time on Earth

Feel It in The Air-maybe a short one and done about Supes on patrol and how he feels the voices, the soundwaves in the air and responds to them all
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

The Day Superman Smiled At Me

A silent ICU filled with unconscious children from across the world, their bodies fighting against a dangerous parasite...

Metropolis Mailbag

(nothing to add here, the contents mailbag itself would lead to many stories...)

With Hands That Can Crush Diamonds

Trying to keep civilian casualities to a minimum, Superman helps a trapped and gravely injured woman deliver her baby...

It wasn't me

Cajoled into helping his friend in an armed robbery a young man is surprised when Superman puts in a good word for him.

Bulletproof

Momentarily distracted, Superman misses a richochet...

Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    The actual Messiah should have learned from Jesus' mistake and never trusted a man named Judas...(The Downfall of "Judas" Olsen; Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #155)

Superman rarely makes a mistake, even killing the Phantom Zone people was good, even though he regretted doing it. I think his biggest mistake was freeing Kandor at the North Pole.
    Clark didn't have any choice in the matter. As soon as he took Kandor and Metropolis out of Brainiac's ship, they were going to return to normal size. That's what happened with the other cities which is why Mon-El and the Legion had to move quickly to return them to their proper locations. The other Kandor that Clark had, that didn't return to normal because of Talos's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    The other Kandor that Clark had, that didn't return to normal because of Talos's magic.
    ....and when Amalak blew it up, that didn't help the situation much either!

Senior Member greatmetropolitan's Avatar

While I wont throw in any of my ideas of what I'd do with Superman - you'll have to read them when I write the title one day, haha! - I'll say I definitely agree with the sentiment of this thread. Superman lends himself, perhaps better than most other DC characters, to just about any type of story. He's a lot like the Doctor from Doctor Who that way. If they're dropped into a western it becomes a western with Superman or the Doctor. If dropped into a sci fi epic it becomes...etc. Couple them with thier main villains - Brainiac and Daleks - who are essentially literary facists. Any story involving them becomes ABOUT them. Superman is about freedom, they are about control.

I can't take credit for that observation, the Doctor Who side of it was from a great Who website. I think it applies to Superman too, though.
    Buy or download my first self published comic, Taking Flight!
    Available at www.laseragecomics.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by brik-el View Post
    ....and when Amalak blew it up, that didn't help the situation much either!
    It didn't blow up. The built-in teleportation device activated and it warped away. There may have been plans to follow up, but they never materialized.