Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Contrary to the belief of certain people, a fun thing about Superman is

...that you can do almost anything with him.

Seriously.

You can have him be a 'gladiator' out in space (Exile)

You can have him fight against or alongside Merlin, Arthur and the Knights (Time and Time Again)

Use the fact that his body is not Terran to counter certain powerful magicks (O Captain, My Captain)

Be a walking crime lab (Final Crisis - he recognised Turpin's DNA)

Place him a 'land that time forgot' (Blackout)

An investigative journalist who prompts Luthor to be more 'hands on' (Up, Up and Away)

So, taking the above on board and having Tom Grummett and/or Kerry Gammill as my artists (what? Don't dash my hopes! :P ), here are some (foolish) story ideas:

49,940 BCE

Where, with his powers on the fritz due to a combination of the magic of Felix Faust and Klarion (which shunted him back through time) and the atmospheric effects of a certain meteor, a 'raging god with eyes of fire' finds himself freeing and leading a number of oppressed tribes from the machinations of a certain off-worlder...

Then we have:

'Clark Kent and the Strange Request of the Woman With No Voice'

followed by:

'...and from that day on I vowed to do my utmost to put an end to the poaching ravaging my country', a 'documentary' of how, 10 years ago, a number of the most sought after and successful poachers across a dozen countries changed their ways.

We then move on to:

'With this key, I...' where the lives of the beings of the 5th dimension are at stake and Mxy's brother and sister seek out Superman's help.

Before we take a 'break' with

'All these powers and I couldn't...' where, prompted by the outbursts of various religious leaders, Kal-El sits with them to discuss how he is and always will be 'a friend'.

To Kill a Mockingbird
    A 'back-up' story.

Aziza Rashid is five years old, speaks English really well (albeit with a strange accent) and lives with 17 other people in a rented apartment in the section of Metropolis known as 'Suicide Slum'. She attends the 'school' in the basement of the building during the day along with a dozen other children who live in the apartments in the building.

Her mother and father were 'brought over' by the playboy son of a Middle Eastern businessman after a year or so of working in his 'estate' in Geneva.

She has a new neighbour: Clark Kent.

It is forbidden!
    When an earthquake and mudslide render a number of villages inaccessible to conventional aid, Superman steps up to volunteer his services...but is turned down...and any indication of his (or any foreign 'super') presence would be declared an act of war...

I'd rather be a supernova...
    Millions of lightyears away, trapped in the midst of the implosion of a star, a planet and its population prepares for its end. Although protected from the destructive forces bombarding them as their sun's deaththroes continue decades after it had imploded, the planet is slowly being drawn into the gravity well that is growing where their sun used to be. Dozens of Lanterns have arrived on the scene, the survival of the planet previously going unnoticed, but their power rings are of no use...the time distortion caused by the gravity well drains their rings within minutes once they pass the event horizon...

When a god tells you to kneel!
    In the Phantom Zone...nothing ages...nothing changes...nothing grows...

The rages, ill-wishes and hatred of those imprisoned...remains.

As does one desire they all share:

To not be there in the first place.

A side story:

The worries of a father...
    Sam Lane is considered by some to be a hero.

Respected. Honoured.

Feared.

His approval of John Corben for his daughter was met, silently, with resentment by other potential suitors.

Her interest in 'the alien'...amusement.

Respected. Honoured.

...derided...

Krypto's Howl
    The untold story of Krypto's grief at seeing everything he loved destroyed while he was trapped in the Phantom Zone...and his (silent) vow to the House of El...

Clark Kent's Pal, Jimmy Olsen
    Although working for rival newspapers, the two cubs hit it off and, with a tendency to uncover things they weren't meant to, soon gain the interest of various aspects of the darker side of Metropolis...

Yeah, but anything can be done with any character. Iron Man's been all over time. JAck Flagg went to space and other dimensions, and Rocket Raccoon got a day job.
    *didn't read the whole thing but agree with your point, i guess*
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rice View Post
    Yeah, but anything can be done with any character. Iron Man's been all over time. JAck Flagg went to space and other dimensions, and Rocket Raccoon got a day job.
    *didn't read the whole thing but agree with your point, i guess*
    I know and yet, according to certain folk (in charge), Superman is too 'rigid', he's 'inflexible' and there are things, apparently, you just 'cannot' do with him. Granted, we don't want him to become...'Irredeemable', but wrapping him up in cotton wool is counter-productive.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    ...that you can do almost anything with him.

Seriously.

You can have him be a 'gladiator' out in space (Exile)

You can have him fight against or alongside Merlin, Arthur and the Knights (Time and Time Again)

Use the fact that his body is not Terran to counter certain powerful magicks (O Captain, My Captain)

Be a walking crime lab (Final Crisis - he recognised Turpin's DNA)

Place him a 'land that time forgot' (Blackout)

An investigative journalist who prompts Luthor to be more 'hands on' (Up, Up and Away)

So, taking the above on board and having Tom Grummett and/or Kerry Gammill as my artists (what? Don't dash my hopes! :P ), here are some (foolish) story ideas:

49,940 BCE

Where, with his powers on the fritz due to a combination of the magic of Felix Faust and Klarion (which shunted him back through time) and the atmospheric effects of a certain meteor, a 'raging god with eyes of fire' finds himself freeing and leading a number of oppressed tribes from the machinations of a certain off-worlder...

Then we have:

'Clark Kent and the Strange Request of the Woman With No Voice'

followed by:

'...and from that day on I vowed to do my utmost to put an end to the poaching ravaging my country', a 'documentary' of how, 10 years ago, a number of the most sought after and successful poachers across a dozen countries changed their ways.

We then move on to:

'With this key, I...' where the lives of the beings of the 5th dimension are at stake and Mxy's brother and sister seek out Superman's help.

Before we take a 'break' with

'All these powers and I couldn't...' where, prompted by the outbursts of various religious leaders, Kal-El sits with them to discuss how he is and always will be 'a friend'.

To Kill a Mockingbird
    A 'back-up' story.

Aziza Rashid is five years old, speaks English really well (albeit with a strange accent) and lives with 17 other people in a rented apartment in the section of Metropolis known as 'Suicide Slum'. She attends the 'school' in the basement of the building during the day along with a dozen other children who live in the apartments in the building.

Her mother and father were 'brought over' by the playboy son of a Middle Eastern businessman after a year or so of working in his 'estate' in Geneva.

She has a new neighbour: Clark Kent.

It is forbidden!
    When an earthquake and mudslide render a number of villages inaccessible to conventional aid, Superman steps up to volunteer his services...but is turned down...and any indication of his (or any foreign 'super') presence would be declared an act of war...

I'd rather be a supernova...
    Millions of lightyears away, trapped in the midst of the implosion of a star, a planet and its population prepares for its end. Although protected from the destructive forces bombarding them as their sun's deaththroes continue decades after it had imploded, the planet is slowly being drawn into the gravity well that is growing where their sun used to be. Dozens of Lanterns have arrived on the scene, the survival of the planet previously going unnoticed, but their power rings are of no use...the time distortion caused by the gravity well drains their rings within minutes once they pass the event horizon...

When a god tells you to kneel!
    In the Phantom Zone...nothing ages...nothing changes...nothing grows...

The rages, ill-wishes and hatred of those imprisoned...remains.

As does one desire they all share:

To not be there in the first place.

A side story:

The worries of a father...

Respected. Honoured.

Feared.

His approval of John Corben for his daughter was met, silently, with resentment by other potential suitors.

Her interest in 'the alien'...amusement.

Respected. Honoured.

...derided...

Krypto's Howl
    The untold story of Krypto's grief at seeing everything he loved destroyed while he was trapped in the Phantom Zone...and his (silent) vow to the House of El...

Clark Kent's Pal, Jimmy Olsen
    Although working for rival newspapers, the two cubs hit it off and, with a tendency to uncover things they weren't meant to, soon gain the interest of various aspects of the darker side of Metropolis...
    So....Is this a "what would you do with Superman" kind of thread?
    If so, here's some random ideas.

Rise of the Chronovore ( a part 12 saga):
    While responding to a distress call coming from a scientific space station based on the Moon, Superman discovers that the entire crew but one has perished in unkown circumstances. All of the victims present signs of old age and decay. Was the crew truly alone on the station? How can Superman protect the last survivor from what happened to the others? And what is this mysterious sword the crew found in the Moon's core?
    Meanwhile, the Time eater is waiting. Trapped in a place where time and space are meaningless, he pulls the strings and manipulates its minions for billions of years. Soon, he will be free. And when he does.....our universe dies.
    Is there a connection with the sword? Can Superman stop that terrible prophecy on his own? Or is this a job for.....The Superman Time Squad?

The Supermen of America:
    For five years now, Superman has been protected Earth against various invasions. But there was once a time where he was a champion of the common man, a defender of the oppressed, fighting to improve life on his adopted planet. Is this time over? Or can Superman use his fame and name recognition to incitate people to help each other?

Behold the Parasite:
    When STAR LABS discovers a strange alien life form, things turn out for the worse when janitor Rudy Johns accidently release the creature . Putting him into coma, the creature psychically feeds on Rudy, gaining his form and his thoughts by absorbing his energy, nice and slowly. And now, the creature has set his eyes on the most powerful being on Earth. But the parasite is no foul. Before going after Superman, it will settle for some......less dangerous price. Can Superman stop the Parasite's rampage of power, before his victims die?

Clark Kent, diseased maniac:
    Clark Kent is one of the most intersting case in Hamilton Asylum. Interned for 5 years now after the murder of James Olsen, and under the guard of Dr Lois Lane, the patient has claimed to be the World's Greatest Hero: Superman. Of course, it's only the illusions of a troubled mind. Or is it?

Mind over muscle:
    For ten years now, Bill has been one of the most hidden secret of the US military. Having gained mental powers after a medical experiment, he almost took control of the entire planet. Only a miracle stooped him the first time, when he lost his powers. But what if he gained them once more? What if he escaped? Can even the Man Of Steel stop the most powerful mind of the planet?
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    So....Is this a "what would you do with Superman" kind of thread?
    Yup, figured I'd take up your suggestion and start a thread on it.

If so, here's some random ideas.

Rise of the Chronovore ( a part 12 saga):
    While responding to a distress call coming from a scientific space station based on the Moon, Superman discovers that the entire crew but one has perished in unkown circumstances. All of the victims present signs of old age and decay. Was the crew truly alone on the station? How can Superman protect the last survivor from what happened to the others? And what is this mysterious sword the crew found in the Moon's core?
    Meanwhile, the Time eater is waiting. Trapped in a place where time and space are meaningless, he pulls the strings and manipulates its minions for billions of years. Soon, he will be free. And when he does.....our universe dies.
    Is there a connection with the sword? Can Superman stop that terrible prophecy on his own? Or is this a job for.....The Superman Time Squad?

hmm...12 issues seems a bit much for this kind of storyline...

Is the survivor also aged and decayed? Perhaps he's become a temporal nexus? (you could then, for example, have his (inadvertent?) temporal distortions split the Squad...) (using that kind of approach, I can see it hitting nearer the 12 but otherwise you'd need more going on to justify that number of issues, in my opinion).

'Sword of Superman'?

The Supermen of America:
    For five years now, Superman has been protected Earth against various invasions. But there was once a time where he was a champion of the common man, a defender of the oppressed, fighting to improve life on his adopted planet. Is this time over? Or can Superman use his fame and name recognition to incitate people to help each other?
    Why not 'Supermen of Earth'? They could be a precursor to the Legion...

Clark Kent, diseased maniac:
    Clark Kent is one of the most intersting case in Hamilton Asylum. Interned for 5 years now after the murder of James Olsen, and under the guard of Dr Lois Lane, the patient has claimed to be the World's Greatest Hero: Superman. Of course, it's only the illusions of a troubled mind. Or is it?
    I have a couple of pieces like this for both Superman and Batman :)

Mind over muscle:
    For ten years now, Bill has been one of the most hidden secret of the US military. Having gained mental powers after a medical experiment, he almost took control of the entire planet. Only a miracle stooped him the first time, when he lost his powers. But what if he gained them once more? What if he escaped? Can even the Man Of Steel stop the most powerful mind of the planet?
    We may be getting something like this, depending on how Grant uses 'the First Superman'...

I know and yet, according to certain folk (in charge), Superman is too 'rigid', he's 'inflexible' and there are things, apparently, you just 'cannot' do with him. Granted, we don't want him to become...'Irredeemable', but wrapping him up in cotton wool is counter-productive.
    Sure there are many things Superman can do but I don't think people respond to a character simply due to their abilities or only their adventures. I don't see issues with him being too rigid or inflexible in his beliefs since that maintains his place in the superhero community. That's completely different than saying he's absolutely right all the time and some of his best stories are where his beliefs are challenged and he has to defend his choices. Its an interesting angle to the character to me. He can do some amazing things but he sees the world in a way it might not really be. Because he is a character of morals operating in a world with shifting morals. The guy he saves today may kill hundreds tomorrow. I think the idea of having things you just cannot do with him is a result of not wanting the character to be unlikable. And a character can be unlikable if he always does the right thing for all the right reasons to the point he seems so far removed from those around him you can't find any relation with him. He becomes a messiah instead of a complex character and I think that's not a role Superman should be attempting to fulfill. One improvement I think the relaunch has done with the character is given him a drive he can actually accomplish without becoming a savior to the world. If you read Batman, you see a character that acts relentless in his goals. Superman has a little of that drive now only its not just in costume. But we have a clearer idea of what the world he wants to live in looks like and he helps the people of Metropolis get there with their help not just his might.

Yup, figured I'd take up your suggestion and start a thread on it.

hmm...12 issues seems a bit much for this kind of storyline...

Is the survivor also aged and decayed? Perhaps he's become a temporal nexus? (you could then, for example, have his (inadvertent?) temporal distortions split the Squad...) (using that kind of approach, I can see it hitting nearer the 12 but otherwise you'd need more going on to justify that number of issues, in my opinion).

'Sword of Superman'?

Why not 'Supermen of Earth'? They could be a precursor to the Legion...

I have a couple of pieces like this for both Superman and Batman :)

We may be getting something like this, depending on how Grant uses 'the First Superman'...
    I figured as much.
    - It's because I didn't tell the whole story. Basically, the sword is the Sword of Superman (although I would have just called it the "S" Sword), and it would give Superman "prophecies" about what's going to come, and Superman would travel in time to hire "Supermen" from every places, to try to stop the Chronovores' agents (creatures neither alive or dead.....or living dead), to destroy time periods in order to feed the Chronovore . The reason one of these agents (which is the cause of the aging and decay) attacked the station was because they discovered the Sword of Superman, which has been created for the sole purpose of stopping the Chronovore. Now I said 12....I didn't made a issue by issue story telling, so it could be less, more.....who knows.

-Well, the idea was more of Superman creating a "group" of "normal" humans to tackle things such as poverty. It could be leading to the Legion, I suppose. As for the Supermen of America....the idea was to start with America for homage value and then having Superman later on extending it to "Supermen of earth" which would become an organism working with the UN.

-I would say but one thing.....Klpktyzm.

- Well, I kind of hpe so. But just in case we don't...
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    I don't see issues with him being too rigid or inflexible in his beliefs since that maintains his place in the superhero community.
    You may not do but the folks in charge...do.

That's completely different than saying he's absolutely right all the time and some of his best stories are where his beliefs are challenged and he has to defend his choices.
    Generally speaking, though, he, like the Flash, have an advantage in being able to quickly think through various scenarios before making a decision - for the most part 'hindsight' doesn't actually apply to them. Sounds strange, I know, but it's an aspect that's often overlooked...

Its an interesting angle to the character to me. He can do some amazing things but he sees the world in a way it might not really be. Because he is a character of morals operating in a world with shifting morals. The guy he saves today may kill hundreds tomorrow.
    That's happened a couple of times, even to the extent that a guy he 'didn't yet save' (gotta love time travel) came back in time to get him...

Those situations, though, are 'outside' the regular realm and it's within this realm that 'those in charge' keep floundering...

I think the idea of having things you just cannot do with him is a result of not wanting the character to be unlikable.
    Then why doesn't that apply to Batman? In the same breath as saying Superman was 'too rigid' a certain someone (pretty much) said 'unlike Batman'...

And a character can be unlikable if he always does the right thing for all the right reasons to the point he seems so far removed from those around him you can't find any relation with him.
    Agreed - losing his 'humanness' is a danger, but it shouldn't even really come to that.

He becomes a messiah instead of a complex character and I think that's not a role Superman should be attempting to fulfill.
    Even the actual Messiah made mistakes (yeah, I went there :P ) so of course Superman should (now and then).

One improvement I think the relaunch has done with the character is given him a drive he can actually accomplish without becoming a savior to the world.
    He had that before, too, but it got for a couple of years prior to the reboot when Clark Kent 'disappeared'.

If you read Batman, you see a character that acts relentless in his goals.
    His actions also resulted in the deaths of hundreds (Brother Eye)...didn't seem to affect his likeability, though...seemed to be more 'brushed under the carpet'...

Superman has a little of that drive now only its not just in costume. But we have a clearer idea of what the world he wants to live in looks like and he helps the people of Metropolis get there with their help not just his might.
    That vision's always been there - a better tomorrow - but then certain creators got too involved with negativity and, literally, dragged Superman down into the muck and laid the blame at this doorstep...

There is hope, though, that that will now change...

I figured as much.

- It's because I didn't tell the whole story. Basically, the sword is the Sword of Superman (although I would have just called it the "S" Sword), and it would give Superman "prophecies" about what's going to come,
    Ah, you'd only mentioned one prophecy earlier, hence

and Superman would travel in time to hire "Supermen" from every places, to try to stop the Chronovores' agents (creatures neither alive or dead.....or living dead), to destroy time periods in order to feed the Chronovore .
    Personally, I've never pegged the Chronovore as 'sentient' in that regard but more of a 'natural beast' that usually only appears in 'dead' timelines but can sometimes fall (or be led to) 'live' timelines. So rather than the Chronovore being the 'big bad' it could just be an unwitting pawn...

-Well, the idea was more of Superman creating a "group" of "normal" humans to tackle things such as poverty. It could be leading to the Legion, I suppose. As for the Supermen of America....the idea was to start with America for homage value and then having Superman later on extending it to "Supermen of earth" which would become an organism working with the UN.
    I understand 'starting with America', I just think that if you're having them step up 5 years after Superman's been active (so 'now') then in that time he would have inspired similar movements across the globe. So a 'Supermen of America' starting is something I see happening (and gaining momentum) around 18 months or so after his debut - small pockets in various cities across the US then come together for a more collected and concerted effort.

With regards to the Legion, I was referring to their 'it doesn't matter what your creed, colour, race, species' is and that it was inspired by the unification on Earth that was brought about by the Supermen (and women) that was initiated 1,000 years ago which, in turn, was inspired by Superman. So the Legion are inspired to use their abilities to help others because of Superman and they open their doors to all...because of Superman.

-I would say but one thing.....Klpktyzm.
    Not necessarily (that's too much like Superman in Arkham), there are other approaches - Dr Destiny, Know-Man, The Key... ;)

Then why doesn't that apply to Batman? In the same breath as saying Superman was 'too rigid' a certain someone (pretty much) said 'unlike Batman'...

His actions also resulted in the deaths of hundreds (Brother Eye)...didn't seem to affect his likeability, though...seemed to be more 'brushed under the carpet'...
    I don't disagree with a lot you've said however, Batman is unliked. Not only by some fans (Batgod?) but by people in his own family. He has strained relationships with many of his 'children'. He makes decisions that sometimes doesn't consider how others may feel like he just assumes because its his decision they will see the value of it. That's a trait I think they are afraid to explore with Superman. At least in the past. I think there is some negativity concerning him because they don't acknowledge he should be aware of his predicament. He shouldn't be hit all of the sudden by his aloneness or that he doesn't always have the right answer or that he has the potential to be a god to the world. He already knows. He is the one character that doesn't need to find himself. He knows his role. The drama for me is reconciling it to himself. And while others may look up to him, he would be the one urging them to not to look at him for an example but be an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    I don't disagree with a lot you've said however, Batman is unliked. Not only by some fans (Batgod?) but by people in his own family.

Agreed but, generally, in 'our world', he doesn't have the 'negative' connotations that have been ascribed to Superman...

Ah, you'd only mentioned one prophecy earlier, hence

Personally, I've never pegged the Chronovore as 'sentient' in that regard but more of a 'natural beast' that usually only appears in 'dead' timelines but can sometimes fall (or be led to) 'live' timelines. So rather than the Chronovore being the 'big bad' it could just be an unwitting pawn...

I understand 'starting with America', I just think that if you're having them step up 5 years after Superman's been active (so 'now') then in that time he would have inspired similar movements across the globe. So a 'Supermen of America' starting is something I see happening (and gaining momentum) around 18 months or so after his debut - small pockets in various cities across the US then come together for a more collected and concerted effort.

With regards to the Legion, I was referring to their 'it doesn't matter what your creed, colour, race, species' is and that it was inspired by the unification on Earth that was brought about by the Supermen (and women) that was initiated 1,000 years ago which, in turn, was inspired by Superman. So the Legion are inspired to use their abilities to help others because of Superman and they open their doors to all...because of Superman.

Not necessarily (that's too much like Superman in Arkham), there are other approaches - Dr Destiny, Know-Man, The Key... ;)
    - I had the idea of the Chronovore as a Lovecraft like being, something sentient, but in a very inhuman way, that acts on a very different level than us. But maybe the Chronovore could also have a use for the well being of the universe (like , it is the reason things get old and die in the first place). He is sentient, but is guided by nothing more than a huge appetite.

-Actually, the idea I had at first was for the Supermen to be a follow up of the Superman Squad, which causes Superman to stop and thinks "okay, apparently, my name, the S I'm wearing means something to people. It's some kind of brand, and maybe I can put it to good use". But your idea is good too.

-Well, the idea first appeared in a "revamp Superman villains thread". Now that I think about it, Saturn from Miracle Monday could work in that story as well, as an all powerful devilsish figure messing with Superman.

- I had the idea of the Chronovore as a Lovecraft like being, something sentient, but in a very inhuman way, that acts on a very different level than us.
    It certainly looks it :)

But maybe the Chronovore could also have a use for the well being of the universe (like , it is the reason things get old and die in the first place).
    A part of the multiversal 'clean-up crew', breaking down a timeline in order to make 'entropy' and the 'reignition' less...explosive?

He is sentient, but is guided by nothing more than a huge appetite.
    'Normally', yes but, just like we had a 'run-away' over in All-Star, we could have someone else nudging a Chronovore along a certain path...

-Actually, the idea I had at first was for the Supermen to be a follow up of the Superman Squad, which causes Superman to stop and thinks "okay, apparently, my name, the S I'm wearing means something to people. It's some kind of brand, and maybe I can put it to good use".
    Along the lines of the ending of the pre-FP-verse Superman? The end of Grounded?

But your idea is good too.
    I like the idea of people inspiring others and Superman is an inspiration and continues to be more than seven decades later...

-Well, the idea first appeared in a "revamp Superman villains thread". Now that I think about it, Saturn from Miracle Monday could work in that story as well, as an all powerful devilsish figure messing with Superman.
    If he's not the Little Man - or even if he was/is he could still be used...such a being wouldn't give up very easily...

It certainly looks it :)

A part of the multiversal 'clean-up crew', breaking down a timeline in order to make 'entropy' and the 'reignition' less...explosive?

'Normally', yes but, just like we had a 'run-away' over in All-Star, we could have someone else nudging a Chronovore along a certain path...

Along the lines of the ending of the pre-FP-verse Superman? The end of Grounded?

I like the idea of people inspiring others and Superman is an inspiration and continues to be more than seven decades later...

If he's not the Little Man - or even if he was/is he could still be used...such a being wouldn't give up very easily...

- Yeah basically. It could be argued that time as we perceive it is simply the Chronovore feeding from its prison. However, he is never satisfied and tries to always have more, which if left unchecked, would lead to the end of the universe.

-The way I saw it, he is constantly trying to run away. But maybe someone can have tried to control the Chronovore only to end up becoming the creature's pawn (for some reason, I don't really like the idea of the Chronovore being manipulable). To keep with my Lovecraft analogy, it would like these cults trying to invoke Cthullu and ending up killed or turned into slaves or something.

-Well, I didn't read the end of Grounded but yeah, a bit like that. I just had that image of people wearing the S t shirt giving medicines in Africa with Superman bringing said medicines from the US.

- That was pretty much my idea, in a way. Superman realizes how much of an inspiration he is and will be in the future, so he decides to put that influence into good use.

-That's for sure.

Agreed but, generally, in 'our world', he doesn't have the 'negative' connotations that have been ascribed to Superman...
    I would say that's due to there are not consequences for him. As well as a character written as if not about power but restraint. I remember years and years ago, and I don't remember the story, but the image, the first I had seen him in this way, was of him angry. And you knew he was angry because his eyes were flaring red. I knew Superman could clobber whatever was in his path but that image was approaching scary. Like a loss of control. Something I don't think I've ever considered he was capable of. Anyways, Batman has people that don't agree with him on some level in his stories. Superman is labeled the boyscout because he does what's right and its not he doesn't have to live with his decisions, there are no repercussions to not live with. Its absolutely right. You'd be crazy to disagree with Superman because he always gets the easy way out. Its obviously the only right decision there is to make. Its why I think they need to play with the idea that that sometimes the right decision, the truly right decision, is extremely unpopular. Having read Identity Crisis (which I loved and no one needs to convience me otherwise because I loved it), I really appreciated the suggestion that was given that he had known what had happened and just never would acknowledge it. Of course that's my take. But it did cheat him from actively showing what he would have done. And I think its because it wasn't an easy decision and no one wanted to make him look like he could make a mistake.