Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

I think Gage has planted seeds for plots outside of Rogue already: Frezy/Gambit, Paige's issues, Now Mimic's predicament. Yeah it's still a Rogue book, but we been told that will change after AvX, so she is probably needed to be the star for a few more. Honestly, I don't think Rogue is even that much of an issue, I think people wouldn't have such a problem with her hogging panel time if the book had a main purpose of being. It's like someone else said a few pages back, this book feels like its Wolverine and the X-Men-lite. it's like a bunch of b-plots around the school put together while all the main action happens in the other book. The book just needs a focus, a villian or a goal, beyond the teachers just randomlly going about their day till something happens. And if its going to stay about their teachers going randomlly about their day, they need to have something to do. Like they each could be personally tutoring a student, built a storyline around one of them, or just have them go out of the school and do stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I think Gage has planted seeds for plots outside of Rogue already: Frezy/Gambit, Paige's issues, Now Mimic's predicament. Yeah it's still a Rogue book, but we been told that will change after AvX, so she is probably needed to be the star for a few more. Honestly, I don't think Rogue is even that much of an issue, I think people wouldn't have such a problem with her hogging panel time if the book had a main purpose of being. It's like someone else said a few pages back, this book feels like its Wolverine and the X-Men-lite. it's like a bunch of b-plots around the school put together while all the main action happens in the other book. The book just needs a focus, a villian or a goal, beyond the teachers just randomlly going about their day till something happens. And if its going to stay about their teachers going randomlly about their day, they need to have something to do. Like they each could be personally tutoring a student, built a storyline around one of them, or just have them go out of the school and do stuff there.
    Yes, he has planted seeds but until they actually grow it is still Rogue, Guest Stars and then the background dancers. And I think XML has a purpose. It's purpose is to feature Rogue. Problem is that purpose doesn't appear to be one that will grow the book. I really wouldn't mind if the book was just about teachers randoming going about their day if the focus wasn't basically just one teacher (Rogue) randomly going about her day occassionally running into other teachers one of which is her pathetic ex boyfriend.

Either way, I agree it has to have a purpose more than just it's a Rogue book and I am willing to wait until after AvX to see where Gage takes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fortyseven View Post
    I agree.
    It's kind of similar to Gillen's Uncanny run. When Gillen does character work, it's terrific. But more often than not, new-Uncanny has focused on the villains over the actual cast.
    Gage's Legacy so far has given more focus on Exodus, Mimic and Omega over the actual cast (minus Rogue).
    I want to read about the X-Men.
    I think we all do - I for one am tired of titles called 'XMen' which hardly feature them.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection/Emma 2 View Post
    I agree with you completely.
    Really? I thought you hated Rogue and Gambit... :/

I agree, I'd like to see more about the main cast doing everyday stuff. I was really excited when this book was announced because I love all the characters: Rogue's my favorite, but I'm also a fan of Chamber, Cannonball, Husk, etc. Unfortunately, we're not getting very many scenes with them, the new team hasn't really been established, and I don't feel like I know the purpose of this book.

That was one of the main problems with last issue. There was this huge crisis we were supposed to care about, but I just wasn't feeling it. It seemed like every other crisis that these characters face on a daily basis, pretty much. If we had established their normal, non-crisis-y (not a word, I know) lives beforehand, it might have made that situation more believable.

It was nice to see some of Rogue's feelings for Magneto addressed. Gage seems to be good at giving us insight into how the characters feel, like when he had Rogue acknowledge Kurt's death. I'm glad he addressed Rogue's feelings on both of these things, especially Kurt's death, because I was really disappointed that we never saw Rogue's reaction to that on-panel. Also, I loved Chamber's brief scene (again), Gage's characterization for him is pretty spot on. And I like this artist better than Baldeon, although I wish Rogue's hair didn't look like birds are going to lay eggs in it. >>

My main problem with last issue was that 1) I just wasn't feeling the bomb crisis and 2) Gambit and Rogue are clogging up the book with all their angst. I'll definitely be sticking around until after AvX, just to see where this is going, but I hope we lose the Gambit/Rogue relationship soon, and get some more focus on the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn View Post
    That was one of the main problems with last issue. There was this huge crisis we were supposed to care about, but I just wasn't feeling it. It seemed like every other crisis that these characters face on a daily basis, pretty much. If we had established their normal, non-crisis-y (not a word, I know) lives beforehand, it might have made that situation more believable.

This is what I think it's missing here. I mean seriousy, yeah they're shown teaching for about 6 seconds, but what else? This is nothing we're not already getting on the other book, but at least there, the characters had stuff going on personally. Even Rogue doesn't really have stuff going on. Cause she can't be arse to make a call to DTR with Mags. So they all just do nothing till something happens.

I really want to see them out of their uniforms too. Like seriously, if this is a School and they're not an official field team why are they always dressed like so? Take them to the mall, the beach, anywhere and have the random attacks happen there. Interrupt their peaceful lives and such.

This is what I think it's missing here. I mean seriousy, yeah they're shown teaching for about 6 seconds, but what else? This is nothing we're not already getting on the other book, but at least there, the characters had stuff going on personally. Even Rogue doesn't really have stuff going on. Cause she can't be arse to make a call to DTR with Mags. So they all just do nothing till something happens.

I really want to see them out of their uniforms too. Like seriously, if this is a School and they're not an official field team why are they always dressed like so? Take them to the mall, the beach, anywhere and have the random attacks happen there. Interrupt their peaceful lives and such.
    I agree; I'd love to see more everyday stuff. Some of my fave bits of the Ms. Marvel solo were the bits with her cat. However, a lot of people are very vocal about not wanting that, because it gets in the way of their contrived BIFF POW WHACK fights, which is "what comics are all about"
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    I agree; I'd love to see more everyday stuff. Some of my fave bits of the Ms. Marvel solo were the bits with her cat. However, a lot of people are very vocal about not wanting that, because it gets in the way of their contrived BIFF POW WHACK fights, which is "what comics are all about"
    You could read Archie comics instead.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    You could read Archie comics instead.
    Veronica doesn't shoot lasers out of her eyes, my interest is minimal.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

I've always felt that the X-Men have been at their best when there is a good (often delicate) balance between the action, the socio-political allegory and the every-day life soap opera stuff. Achieving such a balance is difficult, maintaining it even more so. Yet one of the fastest ways of throwing off the balance lies in focusing on only one character at the expense of the others. I'm still buying Legacy on a monthly basis, so clearly I'm not hating the book - but I think the resentment would lesson if Gage et al. were just up front with it and re-titled the book 'Rogue and the X-Men' or simply 'Rogue.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    I've always felt that the X-Men have been at their best when there is a good (often delicate) balance between the action, the socio-political allegory and the every-day life soap opera stuff. Achieving such a balance is difficult, maintaining it even more so. Yet one of the fastest ways of throwing off the balance lies in focusing on only one character at the expense of the others. I'm still buying Legacy on a monthly basis, so clearly I'm not hating the book - but I think the resentment would lesson if Gage et al. were just up front with it and re-titled the book 'Rogue and the X-Men' or simply 'Rogue.'
    To be fair to Gage, he's only had a handful of issues so far to move the story away from her without a jarring break. I'm sure that post-AvX we'll see more of what we want to from him.

To be fair to Gage, he's only had a handful of issues so far to move the story away from her without a jarring break. I'm sure that post-AvX we'll see more of what we want to from him.
    It's true. And picking up the writing chores right before a major cross-over 'event' can't be easy. Further, I'm still liking the book enough to pick it up. But Gage has always been a very singular writer; it's weird that the last few issues have been so similar to Carey's style.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    It's true. And picking up the writing chores right before a major cross-over 'event' can't be easy. Further, I'm still liking the book enough to pick it up. But Gage has always been a very singular writer; it's weird that the last few issues have been so similar to Carey's style.
    I suspect it's him winding the Carey-ometer down, in order to cleanly start the Gage-atron, without any residual Rogue elements interfering.

I totally agree, and that's part of what I love about the X-Men. It's not just superficial action stories; there's a balance between the action and the characters, their relationships, etc. I read an Avengers comic once, and it was literally jumping from one crisis to another, there was no down time in between the stories at all. Needless to say, I couldn't get into it. The characters were so unrelatable, because they just lived in this constant state of fighting, but they never suffered from PTSD or anything like that. I like seeing characters that I can believe are ordinary people, and I think showing this team going about their business (with the core cast, not Beast or Wolverine) will help people get more of a feel for the book.

I totally agree, and that's part of what I love about the X-Men. It's not just superficial action stories; there's a balance between the action and the characters, their relationships, etc. I read an Avengers comic once, and it was literally jumping from one crisis to another, there was no down time in between the stories at all. Needless to say, I couldn't get into it. The characters were so unrelatable, because they just lived in this constant state of fighting, but they never suffered from PTSD or anything like that. I like seeing characters that I can believe are ordinary people, and I think showing this team going about their business (with the core cast, not Beast or Wolverine) will help people get more of a feel for the book.
    Amusingly, a lot of Avengers readers are very unhappy that Bendis takes time to write the New Avengers doing anything outside of CRISES, FIGHTING and INCESSANT DANGER. They're exactly the sort of people I mentioned above, and I think they're missing out. Without balance and "normality" the heroics just seem bland, so yes, I'd love to see more of it from the Legacy cast.

Well said. There has been some of that stuff in Avengers under Bendis' pen - but almost completely focused on Luke Cage and Jewel (and has often felt like some sort of externalized dialogue between Bendis and his own, real-life wife). Furthermore, the Avengers, for the most part, are comprised of super-privileged white men whose problems are rather difficult to relate to.